PDA

View Full Version : Statting Santa.

Aquillion
2007-11-28, 06:41 PM
Well, that time of year will roll around again before we know it, so I think it's high time we adapted Santa to D&D. After all, who else is going to leave presents under those orc's trees?

Here's what I have so far:

Santa Claus
Medium Outsider (Good)
Speed: 30 ft, climb 40 ft (inside of chimneys only.)
Attack: Slam with bowl-of-jelly-like stomach +5 melee (1d10+20, subdual damage only)
Special qualities: Reduce self (within chimneys only), low-light vision, immunity to cold, detect evil and detect good at will.
Skills: Craft (toys), Listen, Sense Motive
Alignment: Neutral good.

Reduce self (Su): When attempting to climb up or down a chimney, Santa can use this ability. It functions exactly as Reduce Person spell on himself only, except that the duration lasts only for exactly as long as he remains within the chimney in question.

Detect Evil / Detect Good (Su): Santa Claus has the ability to know if people have been naughty or nice simply by thinking about them. He can analyze the alignment of anyone on the same plane as him as long as he can visualize them, knows their name and general description, or has some other way to identify them unambiguously. Additionally, effects that allow alignments to be concealed or falsified do not function against this ability. This effect is otherwise like the spells of the same name.

Items:

Santa possesses a Sled of Flying, eight flying reindeer, and an extremely large number of Bags of Holding.

Santa's Sled of Flying appears as a normal, festively-decorated sled. On a command word, however, it can float upwards or downwards as if affected by the Levitate spell. The sled has no capacity for lateral motion on its own, but can be pulled by up to eight flying reindeer or other flying creatures at once at a speed of 120 ft per round (average maneuverability); if fewer reindeer are available or if the flying creatures have a different speed, adjust the sled's speed as appropriate.

The flying reindeer are as follows:
Flying Reindeer
Large Magical Beast
HD: 4d10 + 6
Speed 50 ft., fly 120 ft. (good maneuverability.)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Continual Light on nose (one in eight only.)

...I've left out the uninteresting stats on both, but anyone who wants to can full them in as appropriate. Any other abilities or items Santa should have?

triforcel
2007-11-28, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure that Santa can teleport/dimension door back up the chimney by placing a finger to his nose. Also, if Family Guy is any indication, he has Infinite Deflection, Deflect Anything, and Telekinesis.

Kurald Galain
2007-11-28, 06:57 PM
Also, if Family Guy is any indication, he has Infinite Deflection, Deflect Anything, and Telekinesis.

Furthermore, if Sluggy Freelance is any indication... :smallbiggrin:

martyboy74
2007-11-28, 07:03 PM
He has Time Stop as a spell-like ability at will.

How else does he get everywhere in one night?

-Cor-
2007-11-28, 07:11 PM
Santa as a PC?

According to oral tradition he's a venerable (at least) elf. Giving him -6 to all his physical stats, and a +3 to the mental.

Due to habitat, I'm going to assume Snow Elf, giving him racial modifiers of Dex +2 and Cha -2.

Probably has the Leadership feat and his followers and cohorts have Craft (Toys).

Not sure what else here... just throwing out ideas.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-28, 07:15 PM
Wizards of the Coast have actually officially given him stats.

Nicholas the Gift Giver: human male NG Druid 13 / Cleric 5 (Good and Knowledge) / Rogue 2 with 12 Strength, 12 Dexterity, 12 Constitution, 13 Intelligence, 24 Wisdom and 16 Charisma.

:smallbiggrin:

Also has a tan bag of tricks, boots of spider climb, his special cap of all-speaking, a sleigh of flying (which needs reindeer for steering) a vest of weather resistance and a special Santa's Staff of Animals, plus some other goodies.

They released the stats in 2004, I think?

Reinboom
2007-11-28, 07:15 PM
Santa might have a few ranks in Craft (Toys)... but it's the other elves that do most of the crafting.
He has an infinite scrollcase...

Also, which Santa Claus? Sinterklaus, the 'coca cola' Santa Claus? The Santa Claus movie Santa Claus? The stop motion animation Santa Claus?

Wizards of the Coast have actually officially given him stats.

He's a human Druid 13 / Cleric 5 (Good and Knowledge) / Rogue 2 with 12 Strength, 12 Dexterity, 12 Constitution, 13 Intelligence, 24 Wisdom and 16 Charisma.

Also has a tan bag of tricks, boots of spider climb, his special cap of all-speaking, a sleigh of flying (which needs reindeer for steering) a vest of weather resistance and a special Santa's Staff of Animals, plus some other goodies.

They released the stats in 2004, I think?

That's neat that they released that o_o;

Balkash
2007-11-28, 07:17 PM
Well I'm not sure about Santa's little elves, are they actual elves, and of what kind? Newer, shorter, jollier elves? As well, could Santa have an Aura of Courage or Inspiration or something to do with his jolly laughter?

MCerberus
2007-11-28, 07:18 PM
Santa would have to have access to decent level druids other than himself (if he is one) to explain how he could last so long and can look so different (reincarnation).

Sstoopidtallkid
2007-11-28, 07:19 PM
His elves are hobbits and gnomes. He has leadership, and they're his cohort.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-28, 07:21 PM
Wizards say that Santa's elves are gnomes with Craft (Toymaking) and Craft (Baking). :smallsmile: And they're not cohorts, he employs them. Although they like their work.

Also, his sleigh team are simply awakened reindeer (they make an allusion to Rudolph's nose with an eerie red glow in the stables, but never stat him out specifically). The magic is in the sleigh, he just needs the team to steer.

A nice thing about him is that, if you pay him a visit, even if uninvited, the first morning you wake up in his home you get a present.

Yes, I am aware I am stifling your creativity here. :smallwink:

bugsysservant
2007-11-28, 07:32 PM
Wizards say that Santa's elves are gnomes with Craft (Toymaking) and Craft (Baking). :smallsmile: And they're not cohorts, he employs them. Although they like their work.

Wait, and WoTC is getting rid of gnomes in 4ed? Those bastards are going down! Rise my child army! Rise and attack your oppressive roleplaying masters!

martyboy74
2007-11-28, 07:36 PM
Aha! That's WotC's real goal in eliminating gnomes from 4th edition! There're trying to make more money by getting rid of santa's elves, so everyone has to buy books from them!

Chronos
2007-11-28, 07:52 PM
Also, which Santa Claus? Sinterklaus, the 'coca cola' Santa Claus? The Santa Claus movie Santa Claus? The stop motion animation Santa Claus?Since everything else in D&D steals borrows liberally from Tolkien, we ought to stat him out as he appears in The Father Christmas Letters.

Yes, that's right, Tolkien actually wrote a book about Santa and his elves. Who actually kick a fair amount of butt, incidentally.

RTGoodman
2007-11-28, 08:04 PM
Speaking of holiday cheer and D&D:

-Chest of Misfit Items (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20051225a) (adventure)

-Nicholas the Gift-Giver (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20011222x) (previously mentioned, but here's the article)

-Nicholas the Gift-Giver's Northern Palace (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20021225x)

Nowhere Girl
2007-11-29, 03:13 AM
He has Time Stop as a spell-like ability at will.

How else does he get everywhere in one night?

Except his version of the spell has an effectively unlimited duration (he can dismiss the effect at will), and he can bring along others into the effect (hence, his reindeer are still able to fly him around).

I believe Spot would also be a class skill for him, as well as Search to find cookies and milk (or wine and cheese, beer and pizza, or whatever parents convince their children Santa really wants :smalltongue:).

Edit: I just realized something. With a swordsage spellcaster variant, strictly rules as written, and therefore allowing the cheesy infinite-loop Time Stop ...

... it's actually possible to pull off what Santa does with a PC class and without being Pun-Pun.

Although wouldn't the endless activity in frozen time begin to count as strenuous activity? :smalltongue:

Jack Zander
2007-11-29, 03:28 AM
Santa is way beyond doing his own work. He constructed a simulacrum for every household and they all enter each chimney at exactly 12:00. They collect his cookies and milk and bring them back to him where he constantly is bathing in them like some fat corrupt CEO.

Nowhere Girl
2007-11-29, 03:53 AM
Santa is way beyond doing his own work. He constructed a simulacrum for every household and they all enter each chimney at exactly 12:00. They collect his cookies and milk and bring them back to him where he constantly is bathing in them like some fat corrupt CEO.

So, in other words ...

A wizard did it?

graymachine
2007-11-29, 04:09 AM
Too sleepy to think of complete stats for Santa, so here are some basics.

Alignment: Neutral Evil

Class: Rogue 20 (maybe divided up with some PrCs); Bard 10

Basic, the old devil steals into peoples homes to rob them of their precious cookies, placing "presents" under a tree because of a geas he can't get rid of. Also, the reindeer? They're Nightmares. Maybe a few levels of druid for animal companion? Anyways, sleeps.

Nowhere Girl
2007-11-29, 04:21 AM
I'm more worried about his voyeuristic behavior. He sees me when I'm sleeping?

But I sleep ...

Nevermind. :smallredface:

Ossian
2007-11-29, 04:25 AM
Hey those are MUST-HAVE

"Travel Domain" (if Santa does not have it...come on!)
"Locate Item" (at will)

O.

PS
Futurama's Santa? Anyone? I'll stick so much coal up you **s that you'll cough diamonds! (or the other way around through the digestive tube...)

Xefas
2007-11-29, 04:45 AM
I think this Santa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un0kbVO-pG0) needs mentioning.

Also, I think I'll take up working on Futurama Santa...

Destro_Yersul
2007-11-29, 05:51 AM
If I wasn't so tired right now I'd stat up The Jolly Red Roof Lurker from Commissioned...

RTGoodman
2007-11-29, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to actually give Santa new stats or just use WotC's (of if he'll even have stats), but this thread has inspired me to write a holiday-themed one-shot adventure for my group back home to play over Christmas Break.

If I finish it in the next few days, I may post it somewhere on the boards. [Not sure where adventures go, though. Homebrew forum? Gaming forum?]

Ganurath
2007-11-29, 12:41 PM
Time Stop at will. It's the only way he can make all the stops.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-29, 12:47 PM
Frankly, Santa needs some divine ranks I think. Demigod at least. I mean, he certianly has enough worshipers (think of all the plates of cookies and glasses of milk left out every year!). Plenty of other belivers as well. Since last year's trip to the emergency room me and grandpa sure do...

Adumbration
2007-11-29, 12:47 PM
You should probably add that "Ho-ho-ho" Blesses all good creatures within range, and Banes the evil.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-11-29, 01:33 PM
I'm working in quite the other direction at the moment...

I've got "Santa" the Frost Giant thief, unleashing his Dire Geese and Fiendish Were-deer on an unsuspecting village so he can loot all the Yuletide gifts and feasting food.

Chronos
2007-11-29, 01:38 PM
I'm more worried about his voyeuristic behavior. He sees me when I'm sleeping?

But I sleep ...

Nevermind.Well, you know why Santa's so jolly, right? He knows where all the naughty girls live.