View Full Version : Dragon Marks and Templates

Yogibear41
2022-08-04, 04:55 AM
I know you have to be the specific subrace to be able to take dragonmark feats (least, lesser, greater, etc.) and that you can take aberrant marks if you are still of the humanoid type and one of the correct subrace types (strongheart halflings, deurgar, wood elves, etc.) But can you take the dragon mark feats normally associated with the "standard" subrace if you have a template that does not change your type? For example if I was a Phrenic Lightfoot Halfling could I still take the Least Dragonmark feat and use the Mark of healing powers associated with it.

I know there was a Half-Dragon elf in one of the books that had the Mark of Death before she was raised as a lich, so the living half-dragon could use it, but once she became a lich she lost its powers, but that is more story related and less rules related.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-08-04, 06:20 AM
Being "of a race" is a specific subtype. If your template doesn't say you lose your subtypes‚ you are still considered as a member of that race for prerequisites.

Paragon
2022-08-05, 12:38 PM
I know you have to be the specific subrace to be able to take dragonmark feats (least, lesser, greater, etc.) and that you can take aberrant marks if you are still of the humanoid type and one of the correct subrace types (strongheart halflings, deurgar, wood elves, etc.) But can you take the dragon mark feats normally associated with the "standard" subrace if you have a template that does not change your type? For example if I was a Phrenic Lightfoot Halfling could I still take the Least Dragonmark feat and use the Mark of healing powers associated with it.

I know there was a Half-Dragon elf in one of the books that had the Mark of Death before she was raised as a lich, so the living half-dragon could use it, but once she became a lich she lost its powers, but that is more story related and less rules related.

I found an old article that might be of some use to your quest.
Druids of Khorvaire, part two
https://web.archive.org/web/20210920212854/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Febds%2F20051024a