PDA

View Full Version : The Ghosts are Playing Music on My Speakers

LordOfNarf
2007-11-28, 07:10 PM
When my speakers are on, but I am not playing any music, my speakers play, very faintly, weird music. It kinda creepy. I can't tell what it is exactly, or what it is coming from.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Why Me? How can I make it stop?

Amotis
2007-11-28, 07:12 PM
Computer speakers?

Do you have a soundcard?

What's it running from?

Do you have other inputs going in?

Did you kill someone in that room?

Saeveo
2007-11-28, 07:14 PM
The house is built on an Indian burial ground. Duh!.... :smallamused:

Start closing applications and see if it stops.

rubakhin
2007-11-28, 07:15 PM
Maybe you're hallucinating. It's nothing major. It happens to normal people more often than you'd think. I knew this guy who, during a long stay in the hospital, thought that he could hear a radio playing very faintly through the vents. After a week or two he realized that he could sort of control what it was playing if he concentrated, and realized that he was imagining it.

Myself, I occasionally think I hear the TV on in another room when all the electronics are off, or someone talking downstairs when no one's in the house. It's irritating.

Semidi
2007-11-28, 07:19 PM
Can you hear the music better if you turn up your speakers?
Can you hear it when you put headphones into the computer?

So your choices are:
1. You have a hardware problem.
2. You've killed someone who's trying to play music through your speakers in the way of vengeance (it's probably Barbra Streisand)
3. You're house is on an Indian graveyard
4. You're hearing voices.

Have fun with those.

I really hope I'm right about the whole Barbra thing. That would be so cool.

DraPrime
2007-11-28, 08:28 PM
Well I can tell you what it isn't. A secret plot invented by me to make you think you're crazy. Definitely not that.

SMEE
2007-11-28, 08:48 PM
There might be some interference in your hardware, and it's tunning in a local radio due to it.
It's not too unusual.

Em Blackleaf
2007-11-28, 08:54 PM
LordOfNarf, your name amuses me.

It's definitely not the aliens trying to control your mind. :smallwink:

But seriously, SMEE is probably right. My speakers do it too.

Hephaestus
2007-11-28, 09:08 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261186

It seems ridiculous...

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-11-28, 09:29 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261186

It seems ridiculous...

That's . . . I . . . WTF??

LordOfNarf
2007-11-28, 09:33 PM
Thank you for all the responses!

For starters, I have never killed anyone in the room, but its a old house, so you never really know what's happened in it.

And I'm not hallucinating (in this case) others have heard it too.

I don't know if I have a soundcard, how do I check if I do, and what the inputs/outputs are?

I'm pretty sure that it is something to do with the speakers, since it does it when the computer is off (its clearer then too). It also does not get any louder or softer when I adjust either the computer volume or the speaker volume.

And if it is a radio station being picked up, is there a way to make it stop, or will I just have to bear with it?

EDIT

And Sorry Heaphestus, its not classical, that much I can tell. Usually something with guitars and vocals.

Syka
2007-11-28, 09:33 PM
Oh.

My.

God.

I totally want to hear my computer randomly start singing "It's a small world" to me. Granted, I would prefer this to happen during a long break from school so I could acquire a new computer and/or fix it without killing something, but still.

Totally need to hear that now.

Cheers,
Syka

StickMan
2007-11-28, 10:00 PM
OK just for the record how many people are trying to make Narf go mad cause we might as well plan together on this people, we are far more likely to succeed if we coordinate.

Em, Dragon, and other Parties PM me for team up, Narf your going down.:belkar:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-29, 07:20 AM
I'm pretty sure that it is something to do with the speakers, since it does it when the computer is off (its clearer then too). It also does not get any louder or softer when I adjust either the computer volume or the speaker volume.

If it isn't effected by your speaker volume control, how can it be coming from the speakers? If you remove the speakers from your room do you still hear it?

Maybe it's just noise pollution from outside your house? Or have you held your ears to the speaker and definately confirmed the source of the sound?

Mountain_Faerie
2007-11-29, 09:04 AM
Our speakers choose to pick up walkie talkies or random clips of cell phone conversations. It is very loud and sounds like someone else is in the house. It happens whether the speakers/computer are on or not. I talked to the cable company to see if they could adjust something, but they just laughed.

It doesn't happen very often anymore. Maybe those people got new cell phones or quit driving down our street. It's nice to know that we are not the only ones with possessed speakers.

Last_resort_33
2007-11-29, 09:33 AM
If it isn't effected by your speaker volume control, how can it be coming from the speakers?

The volume control usually sits between the preamp (sound card) and the power amp, not between the power amp and the speakers. If interference is being picked up by the power amp, then the volume control would make no difference.

Trog
2007-11-29, 09:48 AM
*strum, strum, strum*

Yooooooouuuuu want to visit Troooooooog's Taaaaaveeeeerrn. Goooooo Pooooost theeere Noooooow. Yooooooouuuuu want to visit Trooo-

*Turns off microphone linked to gamers' speakers across the world*

*looks up*

What?! It's cheaper than TV advertising.

*goes to write subliminal messages in junk mail*

Rawhide
2007-11-29, 09:56 AM
Answer and solution. (http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/computer_interference.htm)

Skippy
2007-11-29, 09:59 AM
Speakers often receive radio broadcasts from alien spaceships. I've heard them.

No, going to serious business, it's a normal thing. Are the speakers relatively old?

Also, I'm pretty sure you have a soundcard. That's where you plug your speakers to your computer.

EDIT: I forgot. Try cleaning your cache. That should help >.>

(No, it won't. But it's always funny to give this as an answer to the troubles)

GolemsVoice
2007-11-29, 01:23 PM
Somewhat unrelated, I hope you don't mind, but sometimes tea kettles act as receivers for radiowaves. I once heard of a man whose tea pot would sometimes broadcast the weather, play faint music or tell news, until they discovered that it was too near on some cable.

PS: Forgive me if I don't get all the technical terms right, I hope you get the drift.

Skippy
2007-11-29, 01:25 PM
Somewhat unrelated, I hope you don't mind, but sometimes tea kettles act as receivers for radiowaves. I once heard of a man whose tea pot would sometimes broadcast the weather, play faint music or tell news, until they discovered that it was too near on some cable.

PS: Forgive me if I don't get all the technical terms right, I hope you get the drift.

*Hums "I'm a little teapot"*

Yes, I understand. A radio kettle. That's funny.

MrEdwardNigma
2007-11-29, 01:27 PM
That's nothing. We have a thermos that makes an awful racket for no particular reason. At least speakers are supposed to make sound.

EDIT: Just the post above. Perhaps what I'm talking about has something to do with that.
Note to self: radiowaveproof kitchen.

Jibar
2007-11-29, 01:49 PM
I was going to say it could be White Noise, but apparantly it's a common Microsoft problem, and I now await the day when my speakers play It's A Small World.
Because, naturally, it occur just after I have finished watching a horror movie, and will actually kill me.

Castaras
2007-11-29, 01:54 PM

I knew someone who's fillings would get the BBC radio sometimes. That was funny.

Nasrudith
2007-11-29, 03:04 PM
I don't get why they chose classical music to play as a warning that something is wrong with your computer? Wouldn't a message of "Attention there are hardware problems, either your computer fan has failed or has already failed, or your power supply is drifting out of tolerances. Please receive professional attention to solve this problem."

Skippy
2007-11-29, 03:08 PM
I knew someone who's fillings would get the BBC radio sometimes. That was funny.

There was a chapter in the Mythbusters about Lucille Ball being able to receive nazi broadcasts with her teeth. I didn't get to that part though. I only saw them explode the elevator and changed the channel >.>

LordOfNarf
2007-11-29, 09:48 PM
Answer and solution. (http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/computer_interference.htm)

Thank you, Rawhide for your solution, and thank you everyone else for yor comments and suggestions.

No does anyone know where to find ferrite rings?

Kitya
2007-11-30, 02:02 PM
I get radio stations and cordless phone conversations in my baby monitor quite often. A little disconcerting, since I'm quite positive my 14 month old is not having a party in her crib.

Barbwirerooster
2007-11-30, 03:03 PM
A friend of mine has this problem, but only when he connects to the internet.

Barbwirerooster
2007-11-30, 03:11 PM
If you turn up the gain/volume on an electric guitar amp it gives out a grainy noise known as "mains hum" because it is picking up and amplifying the magnetic field from the power cables in your house. The amplifiers in your speakers are probably picking up a radio signal from somewhere and feeding it to the sound output.

If your speakers have a headphone jack plug in your headphones - if you can't hear anything this is definitely what it is.

Disconnect the power to the speakers. If you can still hear noises, see a doctor.