PDA

View Full Version : The Commodore's Caravan

CommodoreFluffy
2007-11-28, 07:53 PM
:smallwink: Once we are all organized, I will BEGIN!

CommodoreFluffy
2007-11-28, 08:16 PM
The Commodore’s Caravan

In Ravens Claw Port, there are many imports, and it is the major trade center of the world. Despite the fact that it is as such, there are almost no resources in Raven’s Claw, they come from mysterious veiled people from the west side of the infinite ocean (so much for that).The world itself is currently facing change, from being almost devoid of magic, major temples and schools are popping up everywhere. And most importantly, the Westerners are finally allowing access into their lands for a few selected caravans, Yours is one of them.

Walthers’ Trading Corp.
One of the world’s smallest legitimate companies…fine…a quasi legitimate pseudocompany. Your pay is good, and the fights are few. Mr. Fredric Walthers enlisted you all to protect, and lead this small caravan to transport goods from here to there, to just about anywhere. When the Westerners looked at the trade company official roster in Raven’s Claw, they picked you first…because you are the smallest quasi legitimate pseudocompany listed, and you are about to journey into the unknown. Most of your money is from federal funding to the caravan, the rest is you ten last hard years of work,

Welcome to Geldar.

Daryk
2007-11-28, 09:41 PM
:smallwink: Once we are all organized, I will BEGIN!
Handy reference links:
Maeleg: http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=2030
Theirry: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=32540
Vos: http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=2029
Byrnes: http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=4951
Bazral: http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=2135
Hkil: http://www.roguepenguin.com/castellar/profiler/view.php?id=952

As far as organization:
We know we have at least one wagon to guard (Bazral's), and that the rest of us are all (the only?) hired guards working for Mr. Walthers. Thierry and Maeleg have the best Spot and Listen checks, so one should take point (Maeleg and Rakir?) while the other trails. That leaves Hkil, Vos and Robert riding shotgun (shotcrossbow?) among the wagons (probably excluding Bazral's, unless we only have three wagons including his).

Ranthog
2007-11-28, 09:59 PM
Another major consideration is a quick look at all the sheets and Hkil and Thierry are the only two who seem to have purchased riding horses. So if we have a decent number of wagons, we're the only ones who are highly mobile along the length. While me might have the best spot checks, depending on the length of the caravan and people's ranged attacks we might be better in the middle and scouting ahead.

Daryk
2007-11-28, 10:10 PM
I don't know if the company will have horses for those of us without, but Maeleg is fast (40' move) regardless. I was also thinking that if there are any tracks, the best place for Maeleg to be to examine them was before the caravan trod all over them.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-11-29, 12:43 AM
Vos would probably be best in the rear of the caravan. He's not much of a scout, and he's not very fast, but he can absorb a few hits if the rear gets attacked, or he can move up in time to change the tide of battle if the front gets hit.

GimliFett
2007-11-29, 09:22 AM
Hey, Commodore! I still need prices for a silver tankard and brewing equipment, por favor! :smallbiggrin:

The_Shaman
2007-11-29, 10:29 AM
Hkil would probably be riding either alongside the caravan, for example at one of the sides to spot any trouble the front men have missed, or with it. I'm not familiar with what riding shotgun means, though... Is it the same?

GimliFett
2007-11-29, 10:50 AM
Shotgun is the position next to the driver of a wagon or other vehicle. Basically, front seat passenger. In Old West times, the Shotgun position was your security man on stage coaches and wagon trains. He generally carried a rifle or shotgun, leaving the driver to only deal with driving or handling the team. :smallsmile: [/history lesson]

Daryk
2007-11-29, 06:38 PM
Honestly, I had missed Hkil's horse mule when I made my initial suggestion. Having Hkil ride in the middle of the caravan is a great idea, though. Vos on the last wagon is also a good idea, but I think there should still be someone with good Spot and Listen in trail behind that. If Thierry wants to take point, Maeleg will cheerfully take trail.

Ranthog
2007-11-29, 08:20 PM
I would guess then Thierry is mobile and generally scouts out likely areas for ambushes and the like before the caravan gets there. Otherwise I imagine hanging midway to a little forward in the line. He's not the sturdiest of the party but he'd probably stay ahead of the caravan to up near the front significantly.

Daryk
2007-11-29, 08:48 PM
Ok, so it's beginning to sound like:
Thierry on point
Bazral somewhere in the caravan
Hkil as an outrider in the middle
Vos on the last wagon
and
Maeleg (and Rakir) as tail end charlie

That just leaves figuring out where Robert is. Might I suggest on the first wagon, mirroring Vos' position?

Ranthog
2007-11-29, 10:25 PM
Yeah, having slightly more gaurd to the front is probably best, especially with the mobile people to cover the rear.

CommodoreFluffy
2007-11-29, 10:40 PM
You are the only, and you have about 4 (very wide, and full to the brim) wagons:

Fore Cart: has samples of cheap goods, fastest team
Bulk Cart: Carries the bulk of supplies and wares
Walther's Cart: his room, also holds the most expensive goods
Rear Cart: holds munitions and extra survival/combat supplies, also holds cash

Each wagon has a driver, and the entire crew has a supplies officer (NPC) who will beat the living SH** out of anybody who messes with the carts (including you)

Daryk
2007-11-29, 10:43 PM
Does this mean Bazral doesn't have his own cart?

Daryk
2007-11-29, 11:37 PM
Darn, I missed him...

Well, at the very least, we have a better handle on the caravan as a whole. If I understand the Commodore, we have:

Mr. Walthers (the boss)
An unnamed "supply officer" (wagon master?)
4 teamsters driving 4 wagons
Bazral driving his wagon (?)
5 guards (the rest of us)

For a grand total of 12.

I propose the following marching order:
Thierry (mounted) on point
Robert and one teamster on the lead wagon
The supply officer and one teamster on the Bulk wagon
Hkil riding along side the caravan, pacing various wagons at different times
The boss and one teamster on the boss' wagon
Vos and one teamster on the "rear wagon"
Bazral on Bazral's wagon (assuming he has one)
Maeleg (and Rakir) trailing the caravan, occassionally riding with Bazral

CommodoreFluffy
2007-11-30, 12:40 AM
This is all good and well, but how do you guys make those spiffy character sheets?

Ranthog
2007-11-30, 01:14 AM
Basically those sites have a web program that stores and generates sheets. Its really cool and easy to use.

Daryk
2007-11-30, 06:48 AM
Maeleg is the first character I've used a profiler for. The coyotecode website just needs an e-mail address to create an account. It took me longer to type Maeleg in than to log in to the site from scratch.

Here are some suggested names for our NPC's:

"Supply Officer": Purser, Cook
Teamsters: Carter, Cartwright, Wagoner, Wainwright

I can whip up some basic (Commoner or Expert) stats, if you like, at least for the Teamsters.

CommodoreFluffy
2007-11-30, 06:04 PM
Yeah, thats great, I was thinking that they would just be some useless NPCs but I could incorperate them

The_Shaman
2007-11-30, 07:05 PM
Sounds like I may have to patronize Coyotecode myself... My current character sheet Dbase just logged me off instead of saving nearly a page of character story for a game I was already overdue for. Ah well.

Ranthog
2007-11-30, 11:44 PM
I think that makes us good to go for the most part then. We have our caravan idea well in hand then and such along with the standard guard duty jobs then. Can anyone think of anything else besides perhaps any goals or suchthe government might have given us?

Daryk
2007-11-30, 11:46 PM
Commodore, submitted for your approval:
Using a 15 point build, two Commoners, one Expert, and one Warrior for our teamsters yields the following:

Jack Carter: Commoner 1, Feats: Alertness, Toughness, HP: 7
S: 10, D: 10, C: 10, I: 12, W: 12, Ch: 9
Skills: Handle Animal: 4 (-1), Profession (Teamster): 4, Spot: 4 (+3), Listen: 4 (+3)
Sketch: Jack is a bit twitchy, but it has kept him alive, if not well liked. (Kept vague for Vos to flesh out while riding along).
Leather Armor, Dagger
Jack drives the "rear" wagon.

John Cartwright: Commoner 1, Feats: Iron Will, Toughness, HP: 8
S: 10, D: 10, C: 12, I: 10, W: 12, Ch: 9
Skills: Handle Animal 4, Profession (Teamster): 4 (+1), Use Rope: 2, Craft (Cartwright): 2
Sketch: John is more stubborn than the mules, but knows how to fix the wagons. (Kept vague for Robert to flesh out).
Leather Armor, Club
John drives the lead wagon.

James Wagoner: Warrior 1, Feats: Animal Affinity, Endurance, HP: 8
S: 12, D: 10, C: 10, I: 11, W: 10, Ch: 10
Skills: Handle Animal: 4(+2), Profession (Teamster): 3, Swim: 1 (+1), Jump: 1 (+1), Climb: 1 (+1), Ride: 2 (+2)
Sketch: James was a soldier, but eventually figured out he was good with animals, and being a Teamster paid better than soldiering. He's the least experienced at driving a team, but he makes up for it in natural talent.
Studded Leather Armor, Heavy Wooden Shield, Battle Axe, Long Bow
James drives the boss' wagon, and complains the least (which may have something do with it).

Jim Cook: Expert 1, Feats: Deft Hands, Skill Focus: Use Rope, HP: 6
S: 10, D: 12, C: 10, I: 9, W: 10, Ch: 12
Skills: Handle Animal: 4(+1), Profession (Teamster): 4, Use Rope: 4 (+6), Survival: 4, Profession (Trail Cook): 4, Gather Information: 2 (+1), Sleight of Hand: 2 (+3)
Sketch: Jim is Bob Purser's right hand man, and likable despite being a little slow. He's also the one who does the cooking. The food isn't great, but it's not bad either. He's an expert with rope, and block and tackle. When it comes to getting heavy loads on or off the wagons, Jim will find a way.
Leather Armor, Spear, Dagger, Heavy Crossbow
Jim drives the "bulk" wagon (with Bob riding along).

Using a 20 point build and 3rd Level Expert for the "Supply Officer":

Bob Purser: Expert 3, HP: 14
Feats: Persuasive, Quick Draw, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Repeating Crossbow
S: 12, D: 12, C: 12, I: 10, W: 12, Ch: 12
Skills: Handle Animal: 6 (+1), Profession (Teamster): 6 (+1), Use Rope: 5 (+1), Bluff: 5 (+3), Intimidate: 6 (+5), Appraise: 3, Knowledge (Geography): 3, Knowledge (Local: Raven's Claw): 3, Ride: 3 (+1), Sense Motive: 2 (+1)
Sketch: Bob is the boss' "right arm". He's been a teamster for many years, and knows the area around Raven's Claw well. If the boss needs any supplies for the caravan, Bob knows where to get it, and how much is too much to pay for it. Early on in his career, Bob came into possession of an oddly designed crossbow, and set about teaching himself to use it. He usually keeps it stowed under his seat, but can ready it with uncanny speed. More than one would be bandit has found themselves staring down the length of a heavy crossbow bolt before they knew what was happening. Bob has a somewhat overbearing personality, and uses it to good effect, keeping both draft animals and employees in line. Bob knows his limitations, and is more than happy with his lot, working for the boss, who has a much better knack for "merchanting".
Notable Equipment: Chain Shirt, Heavy Wooden Shield, Heavy Mace, Heavy Repeating Crossbow, 5 +1 Crossbow Bolts in a marked case

Edit: Put in Bob Purser (and cleaned up references to him), and changed James' bow to a long bow (since Bob has a repeating crossbow, I figured a long bow wasn't out of line).

Daryk
2007-11-30, 11:56 PM
I think that makes us good to go for the most part then. We have our caravan idea well in hand then and such along with the standard guard duty jobs then. Can anyone think of anything else besides perhaps any goals or suchthe government might have given us?

Oops... Looks like I took too long to type all that in. Anyway, I think our goal is to get there and back in one piece. Maybe bring word of what it's like, though the government will be more likely to listen to the boss on that score. And speaking of guard duty, I propose double watches, with one character with dark vision on each of three shifts. The two arcane spell casters should take the first and last watch (sorry Thierry, that leaves you the mid).

Ranthog
2007-12-01, 12:25 AM
That might leave our nights too long for the caravan if we take the extra time to make sure the wizard gets enough rest before relearning spells.

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-01, 12:40 AM
The caravan stops only for the horses, sleep tied under the cart for all I care

Ranthog
2007-12-01, 02:34 AM
I think that the three shift system with arcane users on both end would probably stretch the time the caravan stood still from around 12-13 hours to something more like 15. (Caravan needs time to care for the horses in the evening and morning. Then cook and do dinner. Break and tear down camp.) That is unless people can sleep on the wagons, which is fine by me.

Mind you this isn't mine to say, but its Commodore's to say what we can do. I personally like having more people on each watch but its just something that has come up before and I want to make sure its alright with our ST. Otherwise I really like the idea of two to a shift.

Daryk
2007-12-01, 09:46 AM
Given the extremely cruel things force marching does to mounts (they automatically fail their CON checks, and take lethal damage), I don't think we'll be traveling more than 8 hours a day. That means we're doing 16 miles per day, and "standing still" for 16 hours. Figuring 2 hours for camp set up/break down and meals, that leaves the middle 12 to be covered by our watch schedule (the duty can be rotated during the set up/break down process, and Rakir can fly around that whole time).
Since Maeleg only needs four hours of "trance" to recover spells (it's good to be an elf), he could take the mid-watch and be all right (my initial thought had been we'd be doing less than four hour watches). Robert would still need to be on the first or last watch, but that's a much easier scheduling problem. I think Vos should also be on the first or last watch because of the time and effort it takes to don and doff his armor. Overall, it would look something like this:
2200-0200 Mid watch (Maeleg and Bazral)
0200-0600 Morning watch (Thierry and Vos)
0600-0800 Breakfast and breaking camp
0800-1600 Travel (lunch on the road)
1600-1800 Setting up camp and dinner
1800-2200 Evening watch (Robert and Hkil)

If this is a plan we go with, Maeleg would take at least most of his "trance" during the evening watch, stand the mid, "nap" to catch up on any lost "trance", and spend the rest of the morning watch studying his spells and taking off his armor/casting Endure Elements/putting it back on.

The_Shaman
2007-12-01, 01:42 PM
Depending on what time of the year it is and where the region is, the daily schedule can vary, I think. During the winter, when sundown happens fairly early, chances are that we'd try to set camp more early as well. Also, I think that it may be better if, as a caravan, we travelled more time but with some breaks in between so that the mounts can catch their breath.

Also, I'm not sure about everyone's character sheet but I'd think it best if every shift has at least one character with darkvision or LLV.

Daryk
2007-12-01, 02:21 PM
Yes, exactly. That's why I proposed splitting up the dwarves and Vos across the sections.

As far as taking breaks during the day, I think the 2 hours to either side of the travel day will easily support that. With only 5 wagons and 12 people, it shouldn't take all that long to set up or break camp, or feed us all. I wouldn't want to set up a camp at lunch, though; call a halt, sure. Looking at the overland travel rules for horses, Stone Horses make more and more sense as magic items.

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-01, 02:38 PM
We really need a set time to have sessions.

Also the goal of your team is to "find out what it's like" this leaves plenty of room for mini adventures, like episodes in Star Trek, or Stargate Atlantis, or Firefly, or etc... you probably got that at Star Trek... you also will have a small salary based off trade with these new weird people.

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-01, 02:50 PM
Handy reference links:
Theirry: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=32540
Byrnes: http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=4951

As far as organization:
We know we have at least one wagon to guard (Bazral's), and that the rest of us are all (the only?) hired guards working for Mr. Walthers. Thierry and Maeleg have the best Spot and Listen checks, so one should take point (Maeleg and Rakir?) while the other trails. That leaves Hkil, Vos and Robert riding shotgun (shotcrossbow?) among the wagons (probably excluding Bazral's, unless we only have three wagons including his).

how about a Zhuge Nu (repeating crossbow) zhugenu (http://authors.history-forum.com/liang_jieming/chinesesiegewarfare/siegeweapons-zhugenu.html)

Daryk
2007-12-01, 04:49 PM
If Mr. Walthers would like to buy us a repeating crossbow, I don't think we'd turn it down. They're expensive, though (250 gp for a light version, 400 for a heavy), and exotic weapons. Perhaps the Supply Officer (Bob Purser?) is proficient with one?

Daryk
2007-12-01, 05:12 PM
We really need a set time to have sessions.

Wouldn't "having sessions" kind of defeat the purpose of being a play-by-post game?

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-01, 07:36 PM
kind of, but I mean general periods of time, like we should check it on this day, or something

Daryk
2007-12-01, 07:46 PM
Oh, ok... that makes sense then. Did you want me to whip up the Supply Officer?

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-01, 08:12 PM
Sure! That'd be great, make sure he can use a repeating crossbow

Daryk
2007-12-01, 08:46 PM
Alrigthy, then! Using the 20 point build and 3rd Level Expert I mentioned earlier:

Bob Purser: Expert 3, HP: 14
Feats: Persuasive, Quick Draw, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Repeating Crossbow
S: 12, D: 12, C: 12, I: 10, W: 12, Ch: 12
Skills: Handle Animal: 6 (+1), Profession (Teamster): 6 (+1), Use Rope: 5 (+1), Bluff: 5 (+3), Intimidate: 6 (+5), Appraise: 3, Knowledge (Geography): 3, Knowledge (Local: Raven's Claw): 3, Ride: 3 (+1), Sense Motive: 2 (+1)
Sketch: Bob is the boss' "right arm". He's been a teamster for many years, and knows the area around Raven's Claw well. If the boss needs any supplies for the caravan, Bob knows where to get it, and how much is too much to pay for it. Early on in his career, Bob came into possession of an oddly designed crossbow, and set about teaching himself to use it. He usually keeps it stowed under his seat, but can ready it with uncanny speed. More than one would be bandit has found themselves staring down the length of a heavy crossbow bolt before they knew what was happening. Bob has a somewhat overbearing personality, and uses it to good effect, keeping both draft animals and employees in line. Bob knows his limitations, and is more than happy with his lot, working for the boss, who has a much better knack for "merchanting".
Notable Equipment: Chain Shirt, Heavy Wooden Shield, Heavy Mace, Heavy Repeating Crossbow, 5 +1 Crossbow Bolts in a marked case

Daryk
2007-12-01, 09:30 PM
I cleaned up the teamster post a bit, and added Bob's stats to it.

Handy Reference Link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3595876#post3595876

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-02, 06:15 AM
I can post every day, once a day.

Daryk
2007-12-02, 09:26 AM
I occasionally have to travel during the week for my job (like next week), but weekends are usually clear.

The_Shaman
2007-12-02, 02:15 PM
I can post every day, usually around and after 9 P.M. GMT

Ranthog
2007-12-02, 02:30 PM
I can post many days. Usually sometime in the evenings sometime after 6 or 7 CST (midnight to 1 am GMT) for about 4 or so hours until I go to bed. On weekends it will likely be a bit random.

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-02, 07:49 PM
Where Are You Guys!!!

Daryk
2007-12-02, 10:05 PM
I'm in Virginia, but it seems at least two of us are overseas.

Ranthog
2007-12-02, 10:11 PM
Midwest here. However day times during the week I'm pretty much going to be AWOL here since I'll be at work.

GimliFett
2007-12-03, 09:56 AM
I'm in Texas. I can usually make at least one post a day, excepting weekends when I'm usually busy with family/baby duties, but I can usually work at least one weekend post into the schedule.

Also, Commodore: I'm just gonna pay 2gp for my silver tankard and drop 50gp on 10 barrels of ale and supplies for making 5 more. Sound fair? :smallbiggrin:

Also, could I drop Craft and ADD Profession (brewer) to my class list? :smallsmile:

The_Shaman
2007-12-03, 10:28 AM
I'm in Bulgaria. Sorry, gang, chances are I won't be crossing the ocean in the next few months, so if you have a tea party give my share of cookies to the hungriest one :smallbiggrin: I am a bit of a nightbird, though, so unless you insist on posting late afternoon/early evening I won't have any problems with it

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-04, 12:14 PM
hey, this is all fine, i am in chinese class right now!

The_Shaman
2007-12-06, 05:13 PM
Ok then. Let me know when we're getting this show on the r... er, moving ;)

Daryk
2007-12-06, 09:25 PM
I have returned from the depths of North Carolina, so please don't hold things up on my account...

Ranthog
2007-12-07, 08:02 PM
Are we all ready to go and start on the story then?

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-07, 08:37 PM
You find yourselves in a dark, unkempt warehouse, and the supply officer bursts into the room, the crack between the doors lets a curtain of light erupt across the room, all of you are temporarily blinded, while the wall of bright specks of dust divides the room, as the supply officer shouts "The Schedule is set, we get to embark today, in...six hours!"

Daryk
2007-12-07, 09:18 PM
Maeleg unfolded himself from his meditation atop a crate and stretched a bit.
"Six hours? Excellent. I need some time on the road to earn a bit more coin," he said.
A flapping in the rafters revealed Rakir, his ever present familiar.
"Speak for yourself, master... I'd just as soon stay comfortable here in Raven's Claw."
"Just stay close, Rakir. You know how the spell works."
"Right, boss. I see one shiny thing, and it's the elements for me. Some spell."
"If you'd show a little more restraint..."
"Not the 'restraint' lecture again. I'm a raven, boss. Shiny things are my thing."
"Very well, but if you don't want the lecture, I don't want any more complaints. Go pick yourself a perch on a wagon."
"Yes, master," was the bird's only reply as it flapped to a window, and outside.
Maeleg turned to pack up his meager possessions, and see how his fellow guards were taking the news of their imminent departure.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-08, 04:12 AM
Vos gives the supply officer a polite nod, then jumps to grab hold of a rafter and starts doing pull-ups.

Daryk
2007-12-08, 09:03 AM
Noting the creaking of the rafter over head as Vos smoothly cycled his considerable weight up and down, Maeleg shifted his things to another crate a few feet away to finish packing. The slight elf was just glad the half-orc hadn't exhorted his companions to join him in his ritual devotion to Kord. He wasn't sure how much more the rafters could bear.

Ranthog
2007-12-08, 02:21 PM
Thierry smiles with a curious little smile at that and gives a quiet little nod. Odd that, for those who had been traveling with Thierry for a while. It is rare that he smiles at leaving a safe port.

Daryk
2007-12-08, 04:14 PM
As Maeleg was moving his gear, he noticed Thierry's curious smile.
"Thierry, I half expected you to agree with Rakir. You seem rather pleased to be leaving for once. Raven's Claw not agreeing with you?" he asked, with a good-natured grin.

Ranthog
2007-12-08, 04:30 PM
Thierry chuckles slightly, "Oh, I am... looking forward to this." Thierry speaks slightly darkly as he pushes himself off of a crate with a light shove, and looks over his shoulder. "Indeed."

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-08, 05:15 PM
Vos stops doing pullups, and as he hangs from the rafter for a moment, closes his eyes as if in meditation. He then drops to his feet with a solid thud.
"I'm mostly looking forward to reaching our destination and beginning my work there, but the journey itself may prove to be a valuable experience," he says to no-one in particular, "Also, I am curious about what we will be transporting."

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-08, 08:14 PM
Bob Purser enters the room and states with a drunken drawl, "Get anything you need done here out of the way, just...some small amount of time.
I need a nappy."
and promptly collapses onto a pile of assorted cloths in the corner.

Daryk
2007-12-08, 10:02 PM
Thierry chuckles slightly, "Oh, I am... looking forward to this." Thierry speaks slightly darkly as he pushes himself off of a crate with a light shove, and looks over his shoulder. "Indeed."

His eyes widening only slightly, Maeleg nodded and said, "Ah, ok. At least that makes two of us glad to get on the road, then."

"I'm mostly looking forward to reaching our destination and beginning my work there," he says to no-one in particular, "but I am curious about what we will be transporting."

Looking at Vos and pointing at their nominal foreman, Maeleg said, "Well, so much for asking Bob. I suppose we could ask the boss, if we knew where he was..."

Striding over to the door, Maeleg whistled a few notes and waited for Rakir to return. Shortly, the raven took up an overhead pattern circling the street outside the warehouse.

"Yes, master?"
"Go find Mr. Walthers, and report his whereabouts to me."
"Again?"
"Yes, again."
"And if he throws something at me like last time?"
"Try not to be seen. Especially if he's... indisposed."
"So, find your boss without getting caught. Right. On it, boss."

Muttering under his breath in elvish, Maeleg resisted the urge to throw something at his departing familiar himself. Returning to the warehouse, he picked up the conversation where he had left off:
"Rakir should let me know where the boss is soon. In the mean time, did you need a hand with your armor Vos? My stuff is pretty much packed, and all I really need to do is fill my water skin."

Ranthog
2007-12-09, 02:17 AM
"Aye, I can't think of anything... I mean we hardly stop anywhere long enough not to be ready." Thierry shrugs, "But I'd like to go where no one knows us and we don't know anyone. Its an adventure of sorts." He smiles a bit and gathers up his sword belt, strapping it on.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-09, 03:05 AM
Vos tilts his head to one side until his neck pops, then rolls his shoulders, satisfied. "Thank you, Maeleg. I was waiting to hear if we would be leaving today before doing my morning devotional, and I must now promptly spend some time with holy Kord. I will ask for blessings to help us on our journey, and a special blessing for you. If you are still here in an hour, I will gladly accept your help. Since we will not be leaving until the sun is high in the sky, it would seem that we will not travel far from the city this day, but it is still wise to be prepared for any attack." After politely nodding to Maeleg and the others in the warehouse, he walks over to the far corner behind a bale of cotton, where a sunbeam has just appeared from a chink in the east wall. Face to the corner, he pauses, then assumes a wide stance with his fists clenched and his head bowed.

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-09, 01:51 PM
The bird comes flapping franticly towards the crowd, shouting (only understandable to the longtime companion of the fowl)"He is moving for the speaker, cover your ears!"

Unfortunately for all of you, you had no time to react, and promptly, the squeaky arrogant voice of your employer crackels over the treble amplified "communication portal":

"We Leave within the hour, Get the carts loaded onto the Boats, We sail for...*shuffling of papers*...umm. Just a Sec, well Nevermind, We leave soon. (i never get to say anything cool, *sigh*)

Your ears are barely intact, nearly shattered by that insanely acute sound.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-09, 02:19 PM
If the interruption disturbed Vos, he makes no sign of it, but continues his prayers.

Ranthog
2007-12-09, 05:24 PM
Thierry just keeps preparing, frowning a little bit at how loud the voice was. He just shakes his head as he collects up his stuff and adjusts his sword belt. "Well, I hope for a quiet little voyage. At least we don't have to break and make camp." Theirry chuckles slightly.

Daryk
2007-12-09, 05:48 PM
"Oh, a sea voyage. Lovely. Rakir, first of all, where was Mr. Walthers? I may still need to talk to him. Second, fly down to the docks and see how many ships large enough to carry our four wagons there are. Third, report where they are berthed to me," Maeleg said.
"Boss, are you talking to me? I can see your lips moving, but there's no sound," replied the raven, rather more loudly than necessary.
"Are you kidding me, Rakir?"
"Master, you can cover your ears when he uses that thing. I can't. You can either give up on what you're trying to tell me, or wait for my ears to stop ringing."
Maeleg said something impolite in elvish, and briefly contemplated writing out his directions, but decided against it. Paper was expensive, and he had little coin. Looking at Bob Purser's prostrate form, and the teamsters standing around looking at each other, Maeleg sighed and started thinking.

"Thierry, could I trouble you to head down to the docks and see if you can figure out what ship we're supposed to be loading the wagons on? Or maybe see if Bob has a bill of lading? I'm not sure if waking him up will be helpful at this point. Jim, please see to loading the supply wagon, at least. We shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out what goes on that. James, I'm inclined to believe the boss' wagon is loaded, since he's the only one with a key. If you could get a team hitched up, and head down to the docks with Thierry or one of the other guards, that could save us some time. Everyone else, please help Jim with the supply wagon until we have a better idea of what's going on. All we know for certain at this point is that we don't have a lot of time. I'll see about Vos."

Maeleg gave a few seconds for his requests to sink in, then quietly walked over to the corner of the warehouse where Vos was engaged in communing with his god. Waiting for an opportune moment, he said quietly, "Vos? Terribly sorry to interrupt, but it seems we have rather less time than we thought, and we could really use your help getting the wagons loaded."

Ranthog
2007-12-09, 06:12 PM
Thierry looks over quietly for a moment, "I'm sure Mr. Walthers will let us know where to go." He shrugs slightly and starts to collect his backpack. He gets that look he often does as when he'd consider something not in his best interest. Not that that has ever troubled his compatriots to ask such. He just turns towards his backpack, checking over his supplies quietly and carefully. He lets out a soft sigh before looking over back towards Maeleg and gives a shrug.

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-10, 12:23 AM
Purser wakes up for a moment to grumble "Somebody really has got to get that [insert impolite word here]ing thing away from him...My ears"...His eyes widen and reality hits him like a frying pan thrown from a train by an epic level fighter. "Walthers didn't actually hire a ship, I thought it was provided by the state! I'm going to have a word with him"
The man marches over to the thin sliding door with the letters "Ofise" messily scrawled, and enters for a little chat.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-10, 01:51 AM
Vos holds up one hand for a second, perhaps indicating that he would like to be left alone for a few more moments.

Daryk
2007-12-10, 06:44 AM
Maeleg nodded silently to Vos and padded over to just outside the "ofise" in an effort to eavesdrop on the conversation within despite his ringing ears.

GimliFett
2007-12-10, 09:48 AM
Bazral Strakeln

With a loud snort, the dwarf sits up in his wagon and rubs his eyes. "We ready ta goo, yet? Och! I swear this's tha slowest caravan Ah've ever ben a part a!" He clambers out of the wagon and hitches his mules up once more.

The_Shaman
2007-12-12, 06:02 AM
Hkil Cavepick

The short, nondescript rogue has been writing something in his journal for a while and given the odd nod of understanding every now and then before the speaker interrupts it. He winces and turns to Thierry, noting Well, I'd certainly hope that it's quieter than that. He goes near the "ofise" door and leans on the wall as if tired. He shuts his eyes and concentrates on what his ears hear.

((Two rogues, twice the fun ;) ))

Daryk
2007-12-12, 06:33 AM
Maeleg smiles faintly at Hkil on the other side of the doorway, then returns to focusing on the discussion within the "ofise".

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-12, 09:02 PM
Important DM Announcement:
I will not be able to update on this until saturday (because of finals), at which point we will continue. i suggest that you do some character development roleplaying, such as talking to other PCs. Also, you could try to act for the NPCs, to flesh out them a bit too. See ya soon

-Toodles, The Commodore

P.S. Your DM is getting a Fender Strat for Christmas, YAY MINDLESS COMMERCIALISM AND ENSLAVING CAPITALISM!

Daryk
2007-12-13, 07:13 AM
After a few moments of straining to make out anything through the "ofise" door and the ringing in his ears, Maeleg gave up and mouthed a silent "good luck" to Hkil before quietly returning to the wagons. Back amongst the teamsters and other guards, he set to lending a hand as best he could loading the supply wagon while Bazral and James got their respective charges in traveling order. Jim Cook had rigged a sling to ease the loading of the heavy barrels of flour and other dry goods; the other food stuffs were generally easier to handle. Normally, the dry goods would have been in lighter sacks and simply kept under cover in the supply wagon. For the sea voyage, several sacks had been sealed in each barrel to keep them from getting wet.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-13, 07:46 AM
Vos returns from his prayers, helps load goods, and asks Maeleg for help with the more unwieldy pieces of his armor. Addressing everyone, he says,
"Are we certain this is a sea voyage? Mr. Walthers sounded a little...distracted."

Spells Prepared: Purify Food & Drink, Guidance (x2), Resistance, Cause Fear, Obscuring Mist, Bless, Enlarge Person.

Can we try to keep the OOC stuff either in spoilers or in a seperate OOC thread? I like to get into the flow of the story.

GimliFett
2007-12-13, 09:58 AM
Bazral Strakeln

Having finished getting his mules and wagon prepared, Baz takes a good look around the group of merchants and guards. "Aye. Ah dinnae ken this was goon ta be a sea voyage, boot when oopertoonity knocks, ya gotta answer, nae?"

Daryk
2007-12-13, 10:09 PM
Maeleg shook his head slightly, and tugged at his ears. "Bazral, could you repeat that? I couldn't quite make it out over the ringing in my ears," he said.

Ranthog
2007-12-15, 01:47 AM
Thierry saunters on over twoards his horse, to prepare her. He starts to brush the horse down as he speaks. "Now, I look forward to it. Ought to be a nice change from having to gaurd the caravan. No walking or camping at all." Theirry beams happily. "I mean what could happen out at sea?"

GimliFett
2007-12-15, 02:31 AM
Bazral Strakeln

The dwarf snorts loudly, but mutters under his breath, "Whot could 'appen indeed? Wrecked ship an' droonin', fer one." Baz turns to Maeleg and repeats himself, but much louder and slower. "Aye. Ah...dinnae...ken...this...was...goon...ta...be... a...sea...voyage...boot...
when...oopertoonity...knocks...ya...gotta...answer ...nae?" When finished he stares at Maeleg a moment before winking.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-15, 03:57 AM
"I'm certain we'll just be passengers; Mr. Walthers must have booked us passage on a boat or ship that already has a captain and crew knowledgable in seafaring, and the sea voyage may only be part of our journey."

Daryk
2007-12-15, 07:35 AM
"Thanks, Bazral," Maeleg said with a sheepish grin. Continuing to help Vos don his armor, he added, "I must have been standing in just the wrong spot, because my hearing still isn't back to normal."

Sorry about that Doc... I missed Vos' request for aid at first.

Ranthog
2007-12-15, 03:29 PM
"Eh, I'm sure they'll be good enough.. I mean the state has money to blow anyways." Theirry brushes off the nay saying as he meticulously brushes down the horse, getting her ready to go. Its a fine and well trained horse at that. She may just be a plain shade of brown, but she doesn't flinch at anything.

The_Shaman
2007-12-15, 05:05 PM
Hkil

After a few more moments waiting to overhear something, Hkil goes towards the others as well. Well, a lot of things may happen at sea, he shrugs But I don't know anyone who got rich sitting on their rocking chair. Bazral's right, when we get a chance, we go for it. Vergadain willing, we may know better times than these. he says off-handedly as he loads some materials onto his mule.

Daryk
2007-12-15, 05:32 PM
"Don't you think it's a bit odd we're taking the wagons with us on the ship? Don't they have wagons where we're going? Or mules, for that matter?" Maeleg asked no one in particular while supporting Vos's back plate. The massive half-orc was buckling the many straps that connected the back and breast plates, and it was impossible to get them cinched properly without help.
The slender elf's own experience with armor extended to nothing heavier than the chain shirt his Sergeant had worn at his border post. Maeleg had judged it far too noisy for patrolling the woods in a proper fashion, and had commissioned his own armor as soon as he could afford it.

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-15, 06:04 PM
Time flew by as you discussed the impracticality of the entire trip, ans soon, the stout, short man known as Mr. Walthers bursts out of the "ofise" and says in his high, squeaky voice, "Lets go! we need to get to the docks within 45 minutes, no time to lose!" the carts get set, the boxes loaded, and the people on the move. there is not much that any of you can catch in the chaos of moving, but you all end up in the gigantic ship headed to the Western mainland, with all the carts and mules in the hold, you await your arrival in the new land.

Bob enters the room, pulls up a stool, and casually asks, "so... what do you guy's think it's going to be like"

Daryk
2007-12-15, 06:42 PM
Maeleg looked speculatively at Bob and said, "Well, I haven't heard much about the Western lands, but judging by the way the Westerners dress, I'd say it's a bit hotter there than we're used to. That doesn't leave much hope for forests, or at least not the sorts of forests we know. Perhaps they have trees that can tolerate the heat better."

The_Shaman
2007-12-15, 08:45 PM
Hkil

The dwarf looks appraisingly over the crates. Maybe the people we get here are used to our weather instead. Speaking of which, I wonder how well Mr. Walthers picked the kind of cargo we're having... I don't mind sightseeing, but it'd be best if we had something that'd sell well.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-16, 01:40 AM
Vos says nothing, but keeps his lips tightly together. He does not look like he is feeling well.

Daryk
2007-12-16, 12:40 PM
Maeleg cast a worried eye on Vos, then turned back to Hkil and said, "You could be right. I suppose the only way to know for sure would be to ask them. Speaking of which, were any of the Westerners accompanying us on this voyage to introduce us to their homeland? We're certainly not the only delegation are we?"

It's been a couple of pages since I posted these, so here are a few Handy Reference Links:
Thierry: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=32540
Robert: http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=4951

NPC's: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3595876#post3595876

Ranthog
2007-12-16, 01:26 PM
Thierry laughs as he walks around the place, "Oh, who knows.... In the end probably not too different from what we're used to ... In the end people are people." He chuckles slightly.

Yeah, wisdom is Thierry's dump stat. :-)

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-16, 02:03 PM
A man walks in from an attached compartment, he is taller, and a tad bit darker than other people that you are used to, but currently, it is a nice shade of green. He frantically swivels around in search of something. He runs up to Thierry's back pack, and...um...Unloads his lunch. He sighs in relief, and says some thing in another language, that you cannot understand, but it sounds like some sort of thank you.:smallwink: Have fun with that Thierry!

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-16, 02:52 PM
That was the last straw for Vos; he can't hold it down any longer. He grabs the bulkhead for support and pukes. There's something particularly pungent about half-orcish vomit.

Zed "Mal" Sohn
2007-12-16, 03:14 PM
[This is still your DM, playing as Bob Purser, NPC]

Bob stops, and his face is twisted in a contorted laugh mixed with a face recoiling in disgust. But as you all know, The Light side always wins...at leas in our friend Bob. His face reverts to the laugh, and he begins rolling uncontrollably on the deck in frenzied laughter.

...No, my name is not really Zed...but i was thinking of changing my name to Zed, because that would be cool...

The_Shaman
2007-12-16, 04:56 PM
Hkil

The dwarf's eyes widen in amazement and no little shock as he sees what happens in the elf's backpack.He blinks and his face goes a shade paler.

((should I roll if I need to barf? I'm guessing it's a fortitude thing...))

Daryk
2007-12-16, 06:25 PM
"Oh for the love of-" Maeleg sighs. Casting Prestidigitation, he quickly disposes of both the mess in Thierry's backpack and the one around Vos' feet, and the smell. Taking a small cloth from his pouch, he successively 'dampens' it and 'chills' it, then offers it to Vos. Seeing Hkil's unnatural shade of green, he begins doing the same to another cloth.
"Gentlemen, please. If the motion is a bit much for you, by all means lie down, or spend some time topside. Fresh air can do wonders for this condition, or so I'm told," he said politely.

For the rest of the sea voyage, Maeleg is going to be memorizing three castings of Prestidigitation per day. He continues to cast Endure Elements every day, and maintains the Detect Magic, True Strike and Feather Fall in reserve.

Ranthog
2007-12-16, 06:28 PM
Thierry grumbles slightly as he closes up his backpack, after examining the now cleaned up thing. "Yes..." He frowns a little bit and nods towards, Maeleg, "Thanks." Theirry eyes the others and starts to move his pack to a place a little less accessible...

Daryk
2007-12-16, 06:45 PM
"You're quite welcome, Thierry. Just trying to do my part. Do you need a cool cloth?" Maeleg asked, reaching for a third.

And just to avoid similar problems in the future, Maeleg's pack (where he keeps his spell book and bowyer's tools) is on his person at all times.

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-16, 08:35 PM
Bob is attempting to stop laughing hysterically, and eventually succeeds, and in an all to serous tone asks Thierry "So, have you changed your opinion?" his face twitches, he attempts to stifle a giggle, and breaks out into uncontrollable laughter, and begins rolling about the deck again

[I found my password]

Ranthog
2007-12-17, 01:03 AM
"Yeah well I guess its too much to expect people not to be jerks." Thierry grumbles.

Daryk
2007-12-17, 07:08 AM
"At the very least, now we know there are some Westerners aboard with us. Perhaps tomorrow, when Vos is feeling better, we can try to talk to them. Unfortunately, I haven't yet learned a spell that would allow us to overcome a language barrier."

I didn't realize we'd need Comprehend Languages so soon, or I'd have found a way to buy a scroll and transcribe it into my book.

GimliFett
2007-12-17, 09:25 AM
Bazral Strakeln

Baz had been stoically watching the proceedings since they had arrived at the ship and secured his team and wagon. He sait with a pony-keg next to him, from which he'd occasionally fill his silver mug. "Ah got yer yooniversal translator, laddie! Right here!" he lifts his mug, then throws his head back and drains it quickly.

The_Shaman
2007-12-17, 05:22 PM
Hkil

Hkil is feeling well enough to regain his composure and, in fact, his mood. He laughs loudly at Barzal's claim, adding True! With enough of these, he'll speak our language just as well as we speak his!

Daryk
2007-12-17, 05:43 PM
"True, but I think they might find mistavan more to their liking. Ale is an acquired taste. Clear liquor tends to have more universal appeal," Maeleg added with a grin.

I used a Tolkien dictionary site to translate Grey Goose. I never would have thought the French made vodka, much less good vodka, until I tried it. I figure it's a good analog for a strong Elvish liquor.

Daryk
2007-12-18, 09:29 PM
As the silence stretched uncomfortably, Maeleg's grin faded. Eventually, even Bob's laughter stilled, and the larger man got to his feet. Looking between the elf and the dwarves, he cocked an eyebrow, and asked, "What's all this, then?"

Maeleg shifted guiltily before saying quietly, "I think I may have offended our dwarven friends..."

Bob scoffed and said, "They don't look violent. Get over it, elf. Anyway, now that you all have met the most social Westerner aboard, maybe you'll get my drift. These people are different. The more we find out about them before we get there, the better. So get off your collective behinds and get to it!"

I suppose that 8 Charisma is showing a bit...

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-19, 12:32 AM
You are the official substitute DM! i think that you guys should all put when you are tired of being on the ship, because otherwise you will be on it for a while.

P.S. how do you make a spoiler, it never seems to work.

Ranthog
2007-12-19, 01:31 AM
"We'll have plenty of time." Thierry laughs for a bit, as he settles back down after hopping off of one of the secured wagons. "Anyways, I"ve never seen nothing that can't be settled over a little drink and game. I wonder what sorts of dice games these westerners play?"

For spoilers just go {spoiler}And you place the text/rolls/etc you want to hide between these two.{/spoiler} Of course you actually need to use [ and ] brackets.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-19, 03:43 AM
Vos sighs with relief and lies down, arranging his cloak as a pillow. "Wake me when we reach land," he says. Within minutes he is snoring.

Daryk
2007-12-19, 07:08 AM
Maeleg quietly excused himself and headed top side.

I wasn't actually bidding for any kind of DM slot, just trying to move things along when they seemed to have stalled (ok, when *I* seemed to have stalled things). Anyway, I'll be offline starting tomorrow morning for about a week. I hope everyone has a happy holiday.

GimliFett
2007-12-19, 10:49 AM
Bazral Strakeln

Baz grins as the elf leaves. "Ah didn' mean ta 'urt 'is feelin's. Just enjoyin' tha brew, ya ken?" He stands and grabs the pony keg. "C'mon, Hkil. Lessee if the ferner likes good brew, hm?" the dwarf turns and heads topside, filling his tankard as he walks.

Sorry for delayed post. Lost the thread for a bit. :smallredface:

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-19, 03:53 PM
Bob gives Vos a quizzical look:smallconfused:
and eventually says :sigh:
"We are going to a completely land, legend has it that their land is held up by a gigantic turtle with elephants for feet, of course this may be mere rumor, or myth, but the point is is we arent on the mainland anymore. What we know as the world is but a mere island pockmarked with lakes and seas. We are traveling to another world, it will not be within one naptime's worth of sailing away."

Daryk
2007-12-20, 09:46 PM
Maeleg found a quiet spot on the railing and spent some time thinking as he gazed out to sea.

The dealership failed to fix our vehicle on schedule, so our departure has been pushed a day (for those who may have seen me online today). I do not expect to have internet access at all for the next week, though.

The_Shaman
2007-12-21, 06:52 PM
Hkil

The dwarf looks sideways at Bob, blinking twice before speaking. Giant turtle what? Well, if I see an omelet from a turtle egg cover an entire village, and I have a bit of it, I may actually believe that. No earlier, though. I hope we won't be too long, though... I've got me some matters to attend to, and I rather doubt they'll come over. He says the last sentence with a wistful air.

Now, if the Westerner city is called Ankh-Morpork, I call dibs on anything to do with dwarven rat cuisine.

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-23, 05:12 AM
Vos sits up, unable to sleep but still feeling better. He heads topside and joins Maeleg. He breathes in the fresh air and looks all around.
[roll0]

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-23, 06:21 PM
I am in NY, and will not be able to really respond, sorry!

Ranthog
2007-12-27, 10:40 PM
Thierry takes the time to hide up his backpack and make it a little less of a barf bag. He chuckles as he half rolls up onto the deck, showing off slightly probably to the shigrin of the crew whom would have to dig his ass out of the ocean if he just tumbled over the railing.

Daryk
2007-12-28, 12:53 PM
As Vos joined him at the rail, Maeleg broke off a small piece of hard tack and said, "Glad to see you're feeling better, Vos. Care for a crust of bread? Up here, it might help steady your stomach a bit."

Bonecrusher Doc
2007-12-28, 03:44 PM
"Thank you... have you met any of the crew of this boat? I don't know how long the voyage will be, but I suppose I can minister to them as well as I can to people on dry land."

GimliFett
2007-12-28, 03:47 PM
Bazral Strakeln

Baz finishes off his tankard with a big gasp. "Aaaah! Ye minister ta tha crew, an' Ah'll minister ta mah brew! HAHA!" the dwarf begins to laugh uproariously.

Daryk
2007-12-28, 07:42 PM
Maeleg started at Bazral's unexpected laughter, then joined in weakly. Turning back to Vos, he replied hesitantly, "Not yet, actually. I'm not the most... social... elf." Gesturing to some of the rigging, he continued: "I suppose it could be useful to get one of the crew to show me some of these interesting knots they use."

Darn it, I missed Bazral's response on the new page when I initially posted. It's corrected now, and since we're on a new page, here's the Handy Reference Links (Robert is at the end with a question mark because we haven't heard from him):

Robert(?): http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=4951

NPC's: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3595876#post3595876

The_Shaman
2007-12-30, 07:46 PM
Hkil

The dwarf looks to the side to see what the commotion is about, then turns to Bob again. By the way, I trust we're prepared in case of, er, hostilities? There hasn't been enough trade to warrant real piracy, but you never know what might happen. Has the boss made sure we've got something extra in case we need to crack a head or two?

CommodoreFluffy
2007-12-31, 01:21 AM
Bob nods , and says
"Yep, I believe that we have some heavy crossbows lined up on the sides at regular intervals. There is also a weapons rack in every section."
With this he gestures to a tall cabinetlike box with no visible openings, but a thin piece of plywood covering the front with a label in common, elven, dwarven, and surprisingly enough, a kobold dialect, as follows:

Emergency weapons
Break to open
Alarm will be triggered
"I am certain that these contain useful weapons such as crossbows, short spears, and short swords"

Ranthog
2008-01-01, 06:37 PM
"They must have a lot of problems out here then, or at least they have been expecting such." Theirry muses quietly as he shakes his head a little bit. "Never... You think these are magically warded then? I've never seen anything quite like that."

Daryk
2008-01-01, 08:44 PM
Maeleg's ears pricked up at the mention of magical warding. "It's a fairly simple enchantment, and not particularly expensive to bind in a single use form," he remarked.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-02, 07:58 AM
Vos

"If you're curious, I could cast Detect Magic on one of these boxes."

The_Shaman
2008-01-02, 08:28 PM
Hkil

The dwarf looks at Vos with some interest. Hmm, perhaps... But what do you want to find out, whether there really is an alarm?

Ranthog
2008-01-04, 12:28 AM
"Nah." Theirry shrugs, "I'll just be happy enough never needing to know." He grins as he leans up against the side of the weapons locker.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-05, 03:34 PM
Vos nods, then walks over to lean against the starboard gunnel, looking over the side to the water below. The piece of wood he leans on looks perilously worm-eaten and begins to bow outward under the load of the heavy half-orc.

Friends, I'm afraid I will have to drop out of this game. This is my "two posts notice" to roleplay the transition of my character out of the game smoothly, rather than my sudden disappearance without explanation.

Daryk
2008-01-05, 07:47 PM
As the railing began to creak under the half-orc's weight, Maeleg's eyes widened. "Vos, look out!" he cried, thrusting a hand at the big man.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-06, 12:51 AM
Vos looks up, puzzled, then the railing gives way. He struggles to regain his balance, throwing his upper body back, but his feet slip and he falls, the back of his head striking the deck of the boat with a sickening thud before he plunges into the water.

Daryk
2008-01-06, 07:57 AM
Maeleg caught a corner of Vos' cloak as the massive half-orc slipped overboard, and was violently thrown to the deck for his trouble. As Vos quickly disappeared beneath the waves, Maeleg clutched the torn corner of fabric that was all that remained of the half-orc. "Man overboard! Starboard side!" he shouted, vainly. The cry was shortly taken up by other members of the crew, and the helmsman hove to while the Ship's Master strode over to the broken railing to investigate, grumbling about "landlubbers".

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-01-06, 09:01 AM
The unconscious, bleeding Vos sinks slips beneath the waves, his heavy clothing pulling him to the bottom.

The_Shaman
2008-01-07, 05:48 AM
Hkil

The dwarf looks aghast. Someone get him! he shouts to no-one in particular. After a second he regainst some of his composure and rummages through his backpack for a rope.

Daryk
2008-01-07, 06:46 AM
Spots still dancing before his eyes, Maeleg whispered, "He's... gone...". The slight elf barely had time to collect his wits before he had to scramble out of the way of the sailors working vainly to rescue Vos. Tucking the torn corner of the half-orc's cloak into his belt pouch, Maeleg quietly recited a prayer to the sea gods.

GimliFett
2008-01-07, 11:42 AM
Bazral Strakeln

Shocked by the suddenness of Vos' fall and disappearance, Baz stands dumbstricken for a long moment before finally moving to another spot along the rail and searching for the half-orc in the water. "Och! Whot shoddy workmanship. Cost a good man!" the dwarf says with a sniff as he continues to search for the lost man.

Ranthog
2008-01-09, 10:35 PM
"What the..." Thierry snaps around, just stunned as he sees the last of the man drop off ship side, just staring off towards the water taking a few steps towards it. In a rather uncharacteristic moment, Theirry really looks utterlly lost as what to do as he jaw hangs down a bit.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-01-10, 12:17 AM
Bob's eyes widen in deep surprise, and he shouts "Goddamn it! Do SOMETHING, Save him!" as time slowly passes on, he eventually realizes that the sailors' attempts are all in vain, and he quickly snatches Bazral's mug and smashes it into the weapons cache to attract attention from other workers. The alarm shrieks out and more and more men come to see what is happening, but seeing that nothing is being done, and that Hkil has just found his rope, he rushes forwards, snatches the rope, secures it onto a door frame and attempts to jump overboard.

Grapple check anyone?

I also like how the personalities of our characters are being created on the spot, by reactions to unexpected things! Good Job People! Your Commodore is pleased:smallbiggrin:

I finnaly found out how to use this! And I got my Fender Stratocaster, It is a very nice guitar!

Also, If you are uncomfortable with anything brought up in this thread, please tell us in a spoiler and we will edit and refrain from repeats.

The_Shaman
2008-01-10, 08:33 AM
((Grapple checks for holding on to the rope and pulling them, you mean?))

GimliFett
2008-01-10, 12:50 PM
Bazral Strakeln

The dwarf stares in apoplexy as Bob takes his mug and uses it to set off the alarm. He opens and closes his mouth several times, as if about to say something. Finally, his anger seems to settle and his face regains its normal color. He grabs the rope in order to help, but keeps his lips firmly pressed together.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-01-10, 07:05 PM
Bazral barely manages to grab, and heave at the rope, just as Bob took is last step off the edge. the rope drew taught for a moment, and Bob coughs the air out of his compressed lungs, his heavy body lurches back onto the deck, in a breathless heap. Hkil's rope falls down in useless coils around Bazral's feet.

Daryk
2008-01-10, 07:20 PM
Finishing his quiet prayers for the fallen half-orc, Maeleg picked up Bazral's dented mug. He looked it over carefully before turning to Bazral and saying, "I think I can fix it tonight, if you'd like. I've a spell that should do the trick."

GimliFett
2008-01-11, 12:43 PM
Bazral Strakeln

The dwarf stares at the dented mug. After a moment he nods to Maelag. "Ah'd appreciate it greatly," he says quietly as he briefly glares at Bob before returning his gaze to the elf and smiling thinly. "If ye'll have it as payment, Ah'll share me brew with ye!"

Daryk
2008-01-11, 06:31 PM
"I'm not usually much of an ale drinker, but I'd be happy to take that payment," Maeleg said with as much of a smile as he could muster. He was still a bit shocked by the sudden loss of Vos, but was covering it as best he could.

Ranthog
2008-01-11, 09:01 PM
Thierry walks on over toward the edge and just stares out towards the ocean for a moment and gives a small shakes of his head. "Perhaps we ought to all drink to the fool."

The_Shaman
2008-01-12, 01:57 PM
Hkil

Hkil approaches the water carefully, and looks down for a while. He gives Thierry a long, sad look. The half-blood might've been a lot of things, but a fool he wasn't. I can't help but find it a poor omen if... especially as clerics of Kord aren't supposed to be dying of drowning.

On the other hand, if I knew Vos at all, a drink to his memory would be the third best ceremony he'd like from such as us.

Daryk
2008-01-12, 03:06 PM
"Third?" Maeleg thought to himself, but kept quiet on that score. "Yes, a drink to his memory would be most fitting. Perhaps at sunset?" he added.

Ranthog
2008-01-12, 03:09 PM
"Yeah, well he fell off the ship." Theirry states as if the only intent was to dispell any notion of his actually caring as he frowns staring off where Vos fell off.

Daryk
2008-01-13, 12:40 AM
"I don't think he expected the railing to give out, but wearing heavy armor aboard ship isn't exactly advisable," Maeleg offered, though he knew his compromise would please no one almost as soon as he said it. He cringed inwardly, and tried to cover his error with, "Regardless, we should still drink to fallen comrades."

CommodoreFluffy
2008-01-13, 02:50 PM
:frown: Bob paces back and forward, mumbling to himself as if it might do anything. and seems completely oblivious to what the others are doing.

Daryk
2008-01-14, 07:23 PM
Rakir suddenly broke the uncomfortable silence:
"Boss, boss, BOSS!! Get him off me! Tell this idiot I'm not food!"
The hysterical crow flapped to his master's side, closely followed by a desert hawk. Maeleg frowned, and used his continuing prestidigitation spell to conjure a ghostly disembodied hand to wave off the pursuing bird of prey, which pulled up short and perched on a nearby spar, screeching at Rakir. The crow cawed back coarsely for a few moments, then turned back to his master:
"Worm for brains didn't believe me when I told him I worked for you. Says his master is some muckety-muck 'blooded' spell slinger. He also says if you're a 'real master of magic' you'll be able to talk to his boss. Not sure what he means by that, but there it is."
For his part, Maeleg studied the hawk closely, noting the leather bindings on its feet, and its striking plumage. He frowned again, and looked thoughtful.

The_Shaman
2008-01-20, 06:40 PM
Hkil

Hkil shrugs at the mention of sunsets, and manages a wry smile. I don't think he would have cared that much about what time it was, really. Might be because I'm thirsty, but I think I could manage a respectful toast right about now. Hey Bazral, how much would I owe ya for a round?

CommodoreFluffy
2008-01-20, 11:04 PM
Sorry I couldn't update, I had 3 day anapana sati meditation.

GimliFett
2008-01-21, 09:31 AM
Bazral Strakeln

The dwarf turns a beaming face towards Hkil. "First roun' is free, afterw'ds it's 5 pence a mug," Baz offers, loudly enough to be heard by all.

Daryk
2008-01-21, 12:11 PM
The commotion of sailors reacting to Bazral's offer broke through whatever Maeleg was thinking about, and it took a moment for him to register what it was the dwarf had said. Rakir was still staring back at the hawk, not willing to turn his back on the hungry bird of prey. Preoccupied, Maeleg quietly waited his turn for a mug of ale to toast Vos' memory.

The_Shaman
2008-01-21, 04:53 PM
Hkil

((how much is a pence in our money, and how many people are there on board the ship?))

Hkil waits his turn as well, although he secretly has some misdeeds about how Barzal's brew would do for the humans... and the others. When it comes, though, he gets a mug and toasts the others - and the sea. I wish we could do something bigger for the orcblood, but I'm not sure how much brew the crew can handle right now. You make some strong stuff, you do - it's too early to get them properly drunk, eh? he tells Barzal in their own language, his eye winking at the end.

GimliFett
2008-01-21, 04:59 PM
Bazral Strakeln

With a nod and knowing wink back to Hkil, Bazral replies in the dwarven tongue. "Aye. We can let 'em have a couple or a few. If they wanna get loaded they'll hafta wait fer shoreleave, nae?"

OOC:I'd say a pence is a copper. That was my intent, anyway. :smallwink:

Ranthog
2008-01-22, 08:44 PM
Thierry shakes his head a little bit and bows his head slightly for a few moments, before moving over and smiling slightly, "Well think we'd rather the crew not all be drunk, aye?"

Daryk
2008-01-22, 08:57 PM
"I think the ship's Master would agree with you, Thierry. We should probably finish our toast quickly," Maeleg replied. Raising his mug of ale, he said, "Enyalanilme a Vos. He was a steadfast companion, and a true friend."

CommodoreFluffy
2008-01-22, 09:05 PM
The Following contains mild profanity
****...****! Why did this happen? Why him? Do you realize what this means. Not only have we lost a good man before contact, But we have lost Our HEALER. I don't even think that any of us are combat med certified here! DAMN Bob screams in exasperation, and outright fear.

...Oh, It Bleeped it out...:smalleek:

The_Shaman
2008-02-02, 05:34 PM
Hkil

The dwarf is surprised by the outburst for a second, but quickly turns back to his calm, canny self. Bob, those are weird words as to spout first thing if one of us died. And that bit about combat med certified... have you been holding out on us? He makes it sounds like we're going to war rather than a trade mission he says, his eyes suddenly narrowed.

Daryk
2008-02-02, 05:43 PM
Bob's outburst almost made Maeleg spill his ale, and he did his best to not let it fluster him. Since Hkil was trying to calm Bob down, Maeleg gave a weak smile and gestured toward Bazral and Thierry with his mug, trying to complete the toast to Vos.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-02-02, 06:29 PM
Bob says, Didn't You all know, the political situation in the West is unstable, as ours is, but their factions seem to be constantly in combat. We are supposed to be guards, and once in a while, we just might spring an ambush, so unless anybody here is a MacGyver of the medical world, we are going to have a tough time.

Let's just say that one of us even falls off a cart, and gets beat up a bit by the horses trampling, we won't even be prepared for that!

GimliFett
2008-02-04, 10:30 AM
Bazral Strakeln

Baz spares a brief glare for Bob before raising his stein high and grinning at Maeleg. "Vos! Ah hardly ken ya, boot Ah'll drink ta yer memory! May yer god look well upon ya noo tha' yer home!" As he finishes, he tilts his head back and drains the stein quickly.

"Aaaahhh!" the dwarf sighs as he wipes his mouth with his sleeve.

Baz turns to face Bob once more, massive hands on his hips. "Ah think ya owe oos an explanation! Ya didn't share all this with us afore!"

Daryk
2008-02-04, 06:17 PM
Relieved to finally complete the toast to Vos, Maeleg drank a mouthful of ale. He knew he wouldn't be able to keep up with Bazral even if he tried, so he decided not to embarrass himself with the effort. He finished the ale slowly, and offered the last bit to Rakir, who greedily consumed the last drops.

The_Shaman
2008-02-06, 10:16 AM
Hkil

Hkil takes another sip of his nearly-empty mug, and shakes his head with disapproval - real or comical. And here I thought we were supposed to get extra hazard pay for that kind of thing. It wouldn't hurt you much to mention all that beforehand, Bob. He takes another sip, and then carefully pours the remaining ale into the sea.

Daryk
2008-02-06, 07:12 PM
Nodding in agreement to Hkil, Maeleg added, "Yes, Bob, what else do you know that you haven't shared?"

CommodoreFluffy
2008-02-06, 08:03 PM
Just the stories, big monsters, desert winds, monsoon floods, This is an entirely different world here.

GimliFett
2008-02-07, 11:47 AM
Bazral Strakeln

Watching Hlik out of the corner of his eye, Bazral snorts. "At least we shood have some fun on this trip! Entertainin'!"

The dwarf cups his hands around his mouth and bellows, "Last call! Shop's closin'!"

CommodoreFluffy
2008-02-08, 12:31 AM
Sure, I could go for something after that shock, but you know, they have gigantic riding beasts with blades in their mouths that are used to gore enemies, it's scary. all sorts of weird things.

The_Shaman
2008-02-15, 12:29 PM
Hkil

The young dwarf looks on with a mix of amusement and incredulity. Bob, have you been doing business with Bazral recently? Because I think I heard something about gigantic beasts and goring... and if I heard right, what the hell was the boss thinking sending us alone there? Having said that, he looks on towards the west with some apprehension. Sheesh, no one tells you anything, and if you don't like it, they show you the door. There should be something done about that, like one of those union thingies they have in Doishenia.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-02-15, 09:11 PM
Hkil

The young dwarf looks on with a mix of amusement and incredulity. Bob, have you been doing business with Bazral recently? Because I think I heard something about gigantic beasts and goring... and if I heard right, what the hell was the boss thinking sending us alone there? Having said that, he looks on towards the west with some apprehension. Sheesh, no one tells you anything, and if you don't like it, they show you the door. There should be something done about that, like one of those union thingies they have in Doishenia.

Well that's not gonna happen. We aren't supposed to be on the front lines, we actually are going through a politically protected zone, to open trade with their capitol. W aren't supposed to see any combat, but I still got this feeling.

The_Shaman
2008-02-26, 02:20 PM
((Who else is still there?))

GimliFett
2008-02-26, 02:27 PM
Bazral Strakeln

Shaking his head, Bazral snorts loudly. "Ah'd be oop fer some combat, ya ken? Works oop a thirst. Best time ta drink is after a battle!"

I'm here. I'd lost track of the thread. :smallredface: Sorry. Let's hope we'll get past this and continue on! I like Baz an awful lot... :smallbiggrin:

Daryk
2008-02-26, 05:41 PM
I'm still here as well. Like GimliFett, I like my character (and both of yours for that matter), but I'm not going to run this game. I've tried to push it along when I think I've stalled it, but it doesn't seem to stick.

The_Shaman
2008-03-04, 01:49 PM
Hkil

The dwarf shrugs. Hope it's just a feeling, then. No offense, Bazral, but I'd rather we didn't get caught in a battle. He falls silent afterwards, looking at the sea with a carried-away expression.

((OK, how about we move this forward, then?))

GimliFett
2008-03-04, 02:12 PM
Bazral Strakeln

Bazral looks at the other dwarf, a puzzled expression on his face. "Nae lookin' fer a battle? Fair enoof. Still, Ah'd welcome somthin' ta take mah mind offa tha fact Ah've nothin' ta look at boot yer sorry faces, no offense, an' water," the dwarf grins broadly and pats the other dwarf on the shoulder. "Thinkin' aboot a lass?"

Daryk
2008-03-04, 07:11 PM
Maeleg

Maeleg listened quietly to the dwarves' conversation, not wanting to interrupt. Rakir kept a wary eye on the desert hawk, still perched in the rigging, staring back.

The_Shaman
2008-03-06, 02:28 PM
Hkil

Hkil looks a little surprised at Bazral's reaction, then zooms out again. "Nah, about my family and some work I had to do. But your idea was better. What about you, by the way? I've known you for a while, but haven't seen any lass around you. Do you have someone back home?"

GimliFett
2008-03-06, 03:11 PM
Bazral Strakeln

"Nae. Ah'm still lookin', though honestly nae too hard a' tha mooment," Baz comments with a chuckle. "Ah'm naewhere near ready ta settle doon, yet. Ah gotta make mah name an' place in tha world, first. Ah'm a bit o' a black sheep amongst the Clan. Ah drank too mooch, an' me da' told me ta make mah oon an' grow oop," a wistful smile seems to come over the dwarf's face as he speaks. "Ah've doon tha first, fairly well ah think. Noo, Ah'm workin' on tha last, an' perfectin' tha first!"

The_Shaman
2008-03-19, 07:03 PM
((Ready to go to the next chapter?))

CommodoreFluffy
2008-03-19, 09:46 PM
You have been on the vessel for months, spending your days idly, your memories often returning to your lost comrade, you slowly lose track of time, as the days become more and more dull. On this particular day, however, Bob rushes into the sleeping deck, and shouts "Land! We shall be on good old solid ground within half a day!" with a hint of excitement in his voice. After this, he rushes to the bow, to catch a glimpse of this new land.

Can somebody relink the character sheets?

Daryk
2008-03-20, 05:12 AM
I'll link them tonight unless someone beats me to it.

GimliFett
2008-03-20, 08:40 AM
Bazral Strakeln (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=2135)

As the word 'land' spreads across the ship, Baz's eyes light up and he, too moves to the bow. "Ah cannae tell ya hoo happy Ah'll be ta have mah feet o' earth once more!" The dwarf laughs heartily as he slaps Bob on the back then dances a little jig.

Linked Header...

Daryk
2008-03-20, 05:49 PM
Handy Reference Links

People still active:

PC's we haven't heard from in a while:
Robert: http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=4951

The dearly departed:

And last but not least, the NPC's:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3595876#post3595876

CommodoreFluffy
2008-03-20, 06:14 PM
Excitement comes easily to everybody, including the crew. Anybody who had free time rushed to the bow, the natives, to see home sweet home, and the newcomers (the caravan, and the diplomat) to see a new land. The sight is amazing, you are used to dull gray stone structures, stacked neatly like bricks, but this is a magnificent sight, everything is in teal stone, with a sharply geometric architectural style. The port itself is surrounded by a blue green seawall, which has a golden gate (I hate to say so, but there is no other way to explain it).

One of the natives says loudly "Welcome, newcomers, to true society, the pinnacle of all scientific and arcane development, Atlantis"

Bob is struck with awe, in disbelif, repeating "it's only a Myth"

while another voice behind you says "Those arrogant fools, flaunting their wealth with flamboyant structures, look at that gate"

The native who spoke says "Actually, it is a proven fact that gold is the most pure of all the metals, and therefore does not get damaged by the sea"

Daryk
2008-03-20, 06:23 PM
Maeleg

Maeleg cast an appraising eye on the intricate architecture. It was certainly interesting, but lacked what the elf would call true beauty. The sharp geometry lacked the natural curves of elvish construction, and he'd never seen stone of quite that hue before. The combination seemed to go out of its way to defy nature.

Rakir, on the other hand, was staring at the golden gate, "Shiiiiiinyyyyy...." was the only sound that passed his beak.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-03-20, 11:17 PM
Geometrical, incuding, yes squares, triangles, parallelograms, pentagons and whatnot, but also arcs and tangents and circles, it has a nice flow

(gold really does not oxidize, so i am using this to make it more realistic)

Daryk
2008-03-21, 04:29 PM
OOC: That's why I caveated his thought with "natural". There's nothing natural about a perfectly geometrical arc made of teal stone.

The_Shaman
2008-03-22, 04:25 PM
Hkil

Hkil appears almost mesmerized by the show of wealth and architectural prowess. Vergadain's golden touch! This truly is a city worthy of legends, if the seas aren't playing a trick on our eyes. Strange spires that soar towards the heavens and an entire gate decked with gold - had I been told of such, I would have laughed in the teller's face! If we... and I... could get but find a way to get at the riches that must be stored in such a town, this could mean more wealth than centuries of labor at that mangy company!

GimliFett
2008-03-24, 03:55 PM

Chuckling loudly, a gleam seems to shine from the dwarf's eyes. "Aye. New, as long as they like good drink, Ah oughtta be rollin' soon enoof!"

CommodoreFluffy
2008-03-25, 10:16 PM
The ship drifts slowly into the guarded bay, the other newcomers looking on in awe, while the natives glow with pride. When you finnaly come into port, the crew has a renewed sense of adventure, and the men eagarly load up the carts, and head for "the council" with gifts to open diplomatic relations.

The_Shaman
2008-03-29, 01:59 PM
Hkil

As the ship nears the dock, Hkil looks down at his clothes and tries to strengthen them up some, then takes down his cap to make sure it's in order before putting it back on. Finally, satisfied - or resigned - with how he probably appears, he turns towards the quartermaster. Allright, Bob - where are we supposed to be staying and what's the drill?

CommodoreFluffy
2008-03-30, 06:30 PM
Well, we just stay with the carts, and let the politicians have their play. They think that they are always so great, and can get everything first. We just keep quiet I suppose, until thats done with

(where is everyone else?)

Daryk
2008-03-30, 06:38 PM
Maeleg

"Stay with the carts it is," Maeleg said quietly to himself, discreetly eavesdropping on the conversation between Hkil and Bob.

GimliFett
2008-03-31, 08:46 AM

Frowning slightly, Baz looks around at Bob and the others. "Two things. One. New land. New rules. They cood need a secoority guard or somesooch. Two. When can Ah start sellin' mah brew t' th' locals?"

CommodoreFluffy
2008-03-31, 07:26 PM
"Afterwards, my friend." Bob seems to relax.

The_Shaman
2008-04-05, 06:26 PM
Hkil

There goes our chance to become rich and famous in a day, Hkil smirks. So, is there some chance we could be with the carts... somewhere else? I wouldn't mind seeing a good bed and passable food after all that time, to be honest.

Daryk
2008-04-06, 08:01 AM
Maeleg

Maeleg turned to his familiar and said quietly, "Why don't you go take a look around, Rakir?"
"Because I don't want to get eaten, boss. That darn hawk's been bird doggin' me since we met. The last thing he needs is an excuse," replied the raven, somewhat embarrassed.
Maeleg considered for a moment, then nodded in agreement. "Maybe later, then, eh?"
Rakir gave his master a glance, but no other reply.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-04-06, 01:44 PM
The ambassador steps out of the boat, onto the deck. He is quite pale, an obvious aristocrat, and currently, a very nice shade of green. Somehow, he retains an air of superiority, and tells you
"We must all be off, now, take me to the palace"
Bob grumbles, loudly enough for you all to hear
"This is why I hate politicians"

The_Shaman
2008-05-08, 05:12 AM
((Everyone still there?))

GimliFett
2008-05-08, 08:22 AM
((Yarp. Didn't know how to respond to the above and totally forgot afterward...))

Daryk
2008-05-08, 06:13 PM
OOC: I'm still here as well. Not sure about the Commodore...

CommodoreFluffy
2008-05-08, 07:46 PM
Bob sighs, slings on his pack, and follows the ambassador towards the palace.

Daryk
2008-05-08, 08:06 PM
Maeleg

Maeleg watched Bob trod off with a confused look on his face. He turned to see if the teamsters were driving the carts after the purser, though he hadn't heard Bob give them any instructions to that effect. The only order he had heard was to 'stay with the carts'.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-05-08, 09:23 PM
Bob snarls in a very, very agitated tone
"Bring the carts! Do you think they'll move themselves? No, come along"

GimliFett
2008-05-09, 08:53 AM

"Woot!" Baz lets out a whoop and works on maneuvering his wagon.

Daryk
2008-05-09, 06:37 PM
Maeleg

Maeleg followed along close behind the last cart, taking in the odd sights of the city as the caravan progressed toward the palace.

The_Shaman
2008-05-18, 04:38 PM
Hkil

Hkil takes up another of the cards and with a last sigh starts pushing, muttering something under his tongue.