PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Initials for NPCs with Unusual/Exotic Names

Pooky the Imp
2022-08-06, 05:58 PM
In a game I'm running, I've given some of my NPCs slightly unusual names (meant to sound somewhat aristocratic, if that makes sense). However, I've left myself in a bit of a bind as I need to use their initials but I don't actually know what they'd be.

I won't give the exact name, just in case any of my players happen to see this, but the name is sufficiently similar to Horatio D'Ascoyne (for anyone who gets that reference). The problem is that I don't know how that sort of name would translate into initials. Would they use HDA? HD? HA? HD'A? Something else?

Does anyone know the precedent for this sort of thing? I know I could just make one up, but I'd prefer to at least know the proper method.

Incidentally, I don't suppose anyone happens to know a site or other reference I could consult for this and other unusual names? I tried some google searches but all I got was lists of baby names. :smalltongue:

PhoenixPhyre
2022-08-06, 06:19 PM
For a lot of names, I use https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/.

As for the specifics...does it have to be initials? Could it be an alternate, shortened form or (if it must be a few letters), an arbitrary chunk out of their name? I do that with dragons--in-universe they have really really really long names. Like...take minutes to say fully. So they go by a shorter (but possibly still lengthy) subset of their names in "normal" conditions.

Does make formal occasions between dragons (where they say their full names) a rather drawn-out affair. The opening ceremonies of the Congress of Wyrms (held every ~200 years) takes literal days of nothing but introductions. Because dragons' names grow as they do.

Pooky the Imp
2022-08-07, 04:40 PM
For a lot of names, I use https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/.

As for the specifics...does it have to be initials? Could it be an alternate, shortened form or (if it must be a few letters), an arbitrary chunk out of their name? I do that with dragons--in-universe they have really really really long names. Like...take minutes to say fully. So they go by a shorter (but possibly still lengthy) subset of their names in "normal" conditions.

Yes, I'm afraid it does have to be initials for my purposes.

Surely there must be some sort of rule for this sort of thing? :smallconfused:

Does make formal occasions between dragons (where they say their full names) a rather drawn-out affair. The opening ceremonies of the Congress of Wyrms (held every ~200 years) takes literal days of nothing but introductions. Because dragons' names grow as they do.

Heh. Reminds me of Vampire names in the Discworld books.

Reach Weapon
2022-08-07, 05:02 PM
Generally, something like that D' would be a contraction in place of de (meaning "of", such as with the famous Musketeer "dude whose mom's side is sort of a big deal in a Midi-Pyrénées region") often signifying nobility (or pretentions to it)."

As such, there a decent chance it'd be dropped ("I am France"), not capitalized, or simply irrelevant as a different shortening (XIV) might be more fitting.

Your setting may very.

Pooky the Imp
2022-08-07, 06:15 PM
Generally, something like that D' would be a contraction in place of de (meaning "of", such as with the famous Musketeer "dude whose mom's side is sort of a big deal in a Midi-Pyrénées region") often signifying nobility (or pretentions to it)."

As such, there a decent chance it'd be dropped ("I am France"), not capitalized, or simply irrelevant as a different shortening (XIV) might be more fitting.

Your setting may very.

Ah, that's extremely helpful. Thank you very much. :smallsmile: