PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How do you use a darkflare?

Seak
2022-08-08, 08:12 AM
I was perusing the adventuring gear section of d20pfsrd and came across an item I had not before noticed: darkflare! Seems like a great item, remove a creatures darkvision for 1d10 rounds. You could effectively blind a creature for an entire combat for 1 gp. The only problem is the mechanism for use. It detonates 1 round after being lit, and any creature in its square when it detonates is effected. From what I understand, lighting it would require a standard action from a spell or tindertwig, if not a full-round action from a flint and steel. If I understand durations and timers correctly, it would detonate in your hand at the start of your next turn, not giving you a chance to throw it at someone. This leaves me two use cases:
1. Light it, drop it, and hope an enemy steps on it.
2. Spend a 4th level spell slot on quickened spark to light it, ready an action to throw it after an opponent has acted.

So, did I misunderstand something about the actions and timers? If not, any other creative ways of utilizing these short fused weapons?

Kurald Galain
2022-08-08, 08:56 AM
3. Light it, then tumble through the enemy's square and drop it as a free action;
4. Toss it, then have a teammate light it via Spark;
5. Use it outside of combat via stealth.

It's a bit awkward to use but that's why it's so cheap.

spectralphoenix
2022-08-08, 09:27 AM
It explodes one round after lighting it, so I would think the expected method would be to light it on one turn, than throw it into the target's square on your second turn, where it would explode at the end of your turn.