PDA

View Full Version : Imbue with Spell Ability

Rensalorath
2022-08-08, 10:01 AM
This may be a silly question, and not something that many groups would worry about, but I tend to overthink.

The spell Imbue with Spell Ability requires that the recipient have a divine focus if the shared spell requires it.

I was trying to decide if the recipient needs a holy symbol of the original caster's faith, or the recipient's own faith.

Any thoughts?

Eldonauran
2022-08-08, 12:13 PM
Personally, I'd require them to have a divine focus of the original caster's faith. It is that deity's magic that is being manifested, and the original caster tends to be answerable to that deity for any misuse of that magic. So, unless the original caster in question is an Ur-Priest, a nature-based divine caster that got the spell on their list somehow, or other such source that really does not have a personal deity assigned to backing the magic, that's how I would keep the verisimilitude of the workings of divine magic consistent.

Rensalorath
2022-08-08, 01:19 PM
Thank you for your response.

I like that train of thought.

St Fan
2022-08-12, 10:17 AM
I would agree with that judgment; note that some spells have varied effects depending of the religion/alignment of the cleric, thus it is more than just a cosmetic change.

I can also easily see a few other role-playing complications coming out of it.

Like, a character wouldn't have trouble calling upon the magic of a different religion than his own if both faiths are friendly, but if the churches are enemies I can see him (as well as the imbuing priest) getting in trouble. At the very least, the local parish giving him the evil eye and requesting a talking-to (maybe even a visit to the equivalent of a confessional) back at his church.

And clerics of a different faith accepting an imbue with spell ability would be under even closer scrutiny. Admittedly, though, they would rarely need it.

Although some adventurers may have a much more relaxed/syncretic approach to religion. I have in mind the scene with Beni in The Mummy trying out varied holy symbols/prayers against the title undead.