View Full Version : DM Help Do you know any modules to start DMing ?

Vodahim
2022-08-09, 05:50 AM
I'm new to DMing. I tried it multiple times but always fail (mostly because trying to create my own campaign from lvl 1 to 20 while everything NEED to be perfect including - but not exclusively - making quests that take PC's backstories into account without previous experiences longer than 3 sessions could be a bad idea).

So I searched for some existing modules that seemed "New DM" friendly, but I wanted to know if you have some suggestions too.
I'm in search of One Shot or short campaign (10 sessions is a good max I think).

Also, I don't know many games other than D&D (a little of Shadowrun too) but do you know some that have really few rules ?
Since I'm more familiar with fantasy I'll keep myself in this sort of settings.

Some modules that I find :
- Candle Keep Mysteries (who seems to be a collection of OS)
- The Wild Beyond the Witchlight (I mean, this one's for me. My Bard follow Titania, it seems to enlightning to pass)
- Preapred One & Two (collection of OS too)

Also, I already looked at multiple advises from the internet, but if you have some of your own, I'll gladly take them.

nickl_2000
2022-08-09, 05:55 AM
I've always heard that Lost Mines of Phandelver is the best starting DM module as it is designed and written for a new DM.

Unoriginal
2022-08-09, 06:54 AM
I'm new to DMing. I tried it multiple times but always fail (mostly because trying to create my own campaign from lvl 1 to 20 while everything NEED to be perfect including - but not exclusively - making quests that take PC's backstories into account without previous experiences longer than 3 sessions could be a bad idea).

So I searched for some existing modules that seemed "New DM" friendly, but I wanted to know if you have some suggestions too.
I'm in search of One Shot or short campaign (10 sessions is a good max I think).

Also, I don't know many games other than D&D (a little of Shadowrun too) but do you know some that have really few rules ?
Since I'm more familiar with fantasy I'll keep myself in this sort of settings.

- The Wild Beyond the Witchlight (I mean, this one's for me. My Bard follow Titania, it seems to enlightning to pass)

Also, I already looked at multiple advises from the internet, but if you have some of your own, I'll gladly take them.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is very new-DM-friendly (while great for experienced DMs who wish to mod it to their preferences).

KorvinStarmast
2022-08-09, 08:00 AM

There is a free module on roll20 (if you use that on line tool) which is called The Master's Vault.
It's a good starter adventure. PM me for more details.
The D&D essential set has the Dragon of of Ice Spire Peak.

questionmark693
2022-08-09, 08:02 AM
I've had really good luck using the Sunless Citadel. It's low level, uses some standard tropes, has roleplay, combat, puzzle, and exploration present so you can get a feel for what the players enjoy and what you're good at/need to work on.

Vodahim
2022-08-09, 09:06 AM
Thanks a lot for those answers !

I'll definitly delve in The Wild Beyond the Witchlight then !

I've seen Lost Mine of Phandelver and Dragon of Icespire Peak but I wanted to do some OS first.
My friends are open for a lot of things but I need to motivate them when it comes to TTRPG. And with multiple infructuous attempts, I want to be able to do a scenario in one or two afternoons first.
But I'll definitly try to buy them for later ! (Worst case scenario, I'll have two more books EhEhEh !)

I'll take a look at Sunless Citadel.
I heard great recommandations about Strahd's Curse too.

Keravath
2022-08-09, 01:33 PM
There are a lot of good to excellent starting modules/campaigns that you can run.

However, I'd like to comment on the desire for "perfection" and planning.

Honestly, perfection will never happen and it is a risk for new DMs to try to plot out far too much content. When you first start, a DM creates a cool storyline but they also usually only visualize one or two approaches to dealing with it. The problem is that a group of players will often come up with approaches 3 through 10 or more and the DM needs to adjust the adventure spontaneously to accommodate the actions and decisions the players actually take rather than the ones the DM thought they would take.

Over-planning is one of the hazards a new DM needs to be aware of (especially planning something all the way to level 20 - that is likely to take years and other than having a few one liners about some over-arching plots that might be going on - you don't need or want any more - the characters/players are experiencing the present and do not feel any anticipation or thrill the DM might have for future events that they are completely unaware of).

Another aspect to be aware of is that it isn't necessary to tie large elements of the plot to character backstories. Sometimes it is cool but other times just a distraction and if the backstory fits the events happening in the game world then feel free to tie it in ... but if not then you don't need to force the plot to include character backstory tie-ins. Let them happen organically as part of the plot/plots if you use them at all.

Whatever module you decide to run - start by skimming all of it to get an idea of what the characters are doing there, why they are there, what are the character motivations and the NPC motivations - ideally you want to have the overview of how the entire module is supposed to run before delving into the details of the pieces. The main reason for this is that elements/clues in the details will make a lot more sense when you are aware of how they tie into something happening three chapters later. After the overview, read the details, read about the NPCs and think about how you might present the encounters to the players as their characters come across them.

If the logic in the module doesn't make sense to you then feel free to add some fluff so that the players understand what is going on. There are a lot of times when the "bad guys" in the module don't really seem to have sufficient motivation for the actions they are supposed to be taking - and why these creatures are taking the actions they are in the plot/story - Sunless Citadel can be a good example of this since there are factions of "bad guys" and it is quite possible for the PCs to make allies out of the first faction they run into - so feel free to adjust as needed.

Decent starter adventures could be ...
- Lost Mines of Phandelver, Dragon of Icespire Peak - pretty good - both set in the same area - similar structure for quests and leveling - simple and easy to understand but you may need to provide a bit of motivation depending on the players/party. If the party isn't the type to want to help others then some of the quests might not go over that well.

- Tales from the Yawning Portal - Sunless Citadel followed by Forge of Fury - both are decent modules
- Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Sinister House on the Hill + others
- Candlekeep Mysteries - a book of one shot adventures tied into a common theme with the library at Candlekeep - the adventures tend to be book related.
- Journeys to the Radiant Citadel - another collection of one shot adventures with a common theme of a city in the astral plane connected to a variety of different worlds - but that is all I know about it - I haven't played any of them yet

Each of these has content for levels 1-11+

The campaign I am currently running started as a combination of Ghosts of Saltmarsh and Tales from the Yawning Portal - however, I've since added a homebrew plot line which is still developing (didn't exist when I started the campaign honestly and grew out of some events that happened spontaneously earlier in the campaign) and I've also tossed in a couple of adventures from Candlekeep Mysteries and the bonus modules that come with DoIP online.

Using the published content saves a great deal of prep time for me (we are running the game on Roll20 so the number of digital assets I need to prepare is less if I use published content vs stuff I make myself).

----

One last comment, you won't be able to force your friends to be folks who like role playing games - you can only tempt them with it :) - they may decide that they really like it and want to play more or they might decide they prefer to play board games or whatever other activities you usually do. Hopefully, they have a good time but whether they like it or not, it isn't usually the content you run or how you run it, it is often just the nature of role playing games, the social interaction, the fantasy elements, the rules needed to learn, role playing or any one of the many elements that distinguish role playing games from any other game.

----

P.S. I forgot - I definitely do not recommend Curse of Strahd for a beginner DM. I've run it and the players had a good time but I would not consider it new DM friendly and some of the story and horror elements have either racist or possibly triggering elements to them so running it requires a good group and knowing your players.

Mastikator
2022-08-09, 01:54 PM
I recommend not Curse of Strahd. It's unfriendly to new players and DMs alike. I also anti-recommend Descent into Avernus for the same reason.

Sigreid
2022-08-09, 02:21 PM
The starter kit module is a pretty good start.

Beyond that, I don't advise planning a 1-20 campaign out. I know not everyone does it the way I do, but I will have a kick off adventure and they I really like to have my players guide the campaign by pursuing what they they find interesting and build the greater story that way. This not only gives you more room to be flexible, but helps ensure the campaign is going in a direction everyone enjoys.

Beyond that, over planning is never going to work out. The one universal quality among players is their ability to hose up your plan. The key skill for any DM is pulling something out of your hind quarters when the party doesn't follow the plan and keeping things rolling.

KorvinStarmast
2022-08-09, 02:43 PM
There are a lot of good to excellent starting modules/campaigns that you can run. {snip}

Great post. I will put in another plug for Tales From the Yawning Portal.
Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury are a nice 1-2 punch since they both take place in mountainous regions, or hilly regions with a mountain here and there. Not too far to travel from one to the other.

Tamoachan is not for a beginner DM. White Plume Mountain? Not for a beginner.

All of the Salt Marsh book is pretty good but the interaction at the lizardfolk home lair is somewhat forced as regards the point system. We made it work well enough. The adventure with the ginormous octopus and the derelict old ship was really good.

Trask
2022-08-09, 05:00 PM
This product on DMsguild is a fan-made conversion of one of the original D&D sample dungeons. Its a quality conversion and pretty straightforward with many "typical" D&D encounters, but its not boring either. There are some fun and weird encounters, like a talking mask that truthfully answers a single question about the dungeon once per day, and a giant octopus. You could probably complete the whole thing in 2 sessions, maybe 3, and it also comes with a starting city (its pretty vaguely sketched, but it does have a map). I think it would be a very solid way to start running the game.

Also its only 2 bucks

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/301308/The-Ruined-Tower-of-Zenopus

I'm not affiliated with the author or anything, I just think this module is great.

Vodahim
2022-08-10, 02:09 AM
Honestly, perfection will never happen

Beyond that, over planning is never going to work out

Yeah, I figured that out the hard way... But eh, at least I can only better myself at this point =p

Thanks a lot for your advise, I have a good reading ahead of me. My new journey will begin with Phandelver and Icespire Peak.

@Kevarath : I'll make sure that the depth you added to your answer won't be in vain !

Sigreid
2022-08-10, 11:54 AM
One other tip that is absolutely key. Don't worry about screwing up. You're going to screw up. I still screw up. If you find out later that you screwed up, just let your group know what you're wrong call was and what it should have been and how you'll rule on that in the future.