PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a monster of Native American myth…I think

creepyeye
2022-08-09, 07:26 AM
I’m looking for the name of a monster that takes the form of a body of water to lure people to drink it. At which point it eats them.Forgot what it is called.

tomandtish
2022-08-10, 11:06 AM
Hmm. That doesn't ring a bell. There's both the Mishibizhiw and the Ogopogo as water monsters, but neither turned into a pool of water. There's the Atunkai, which would draw you into a body of water and transform you into an Atunkai yourself.

creepyeye
2022-08-10, 10:28 PM
Hmm. That doesn't ring a bell. There's both the Mishibizhiw and the Ogopogo as water monsters, but neither turned into a pool of water. There's the Atunkai, which would draw you into a body of water and transform you into an Atunkai yourself.

Hmm ok. I tried finding out on my own. Couldn’t find any. Supposedly it turns into a lake and eats people who think it’s refreshing. It would sound like a legit monster right?

Palanan
2022-08-10, 11:50 PM
Not sure about the original source, but this sounds a lot like the aballin from the Forgotten Realms, in particular the 3.0 supplement Monsters of Faerûn. It's an ooze that mimics clear water and envelops anything that comes near.

Imbalance
2022-08-11, 09:33 AM
Never heard of it, but now it's my headcanon for what becomes of a cornered squonk that literally bursts into tears as a defense mechanism.

Misereor
2022-08-12, 04:36 AM
I’m looking for the name of a monster that takes the form of a body of water to lure people to drink it. At which point it eats them.Forgot what it is called.

Quite a few to be found here, but I don't think there are any which specifically masquerade as water.
http://www.native-languages.org/legends-water.htm

Eldan
2022-08-13, 06:21 PM
One of my favourite online resources is the Book of Creatures.

Under Rivers and Ponds, it has the Xicalcoatl, a snake which grows a painted cup full of chocolate on its back. It hides under water, only the cup showing, then eats people who try to take the cup. not exactly what you described, but interesting.

https://abookofcreatures.com/category/pond-and-river/page/7/

Sadly, the Book of Creatures is ungodly huge, and sometimes hard to navigate. Perhaps if you have a closer idea where it's from? It's not under creatures of the American Southwest.

creepyeye
2022-08-22, 11:03 PM
One of my favourite online resources is the Book of Creatures.

Under Rivers and Ponds, it has the Xicalcoatl, a snake which grows a painted cup full of chocolate on its back. It hides under water, only the cup showing, then eats people who try to take the cup. not exactly what you described, but interesting.

https://abookofcreatures.com/category/pond-and-river/page/7/

Sadly, the Book of Creatures is ungodly huge, and sometimes hard to navigate. Perhaps if you have a closer idea where it's from? It's not under creatures of the American Southwest.

I was thinking maybe a Native American monster from North America. Idk all I remember is that it’s a monster that takes the form of water. So it then eats people who think it’s water

DarthArminius
2022-08-23, 09:55 AM
I was thinking maybe a Native American monster from North America. Idk all I remember is that it’s a monster that takes the form of water. So it then eats people who think it’s water

I can't recall which tribe it's from, but I think it's just called Water Monster.