PDA

View Full Version : Combat Trapsmith

MisterSaturnine
2007-11-28, 09:42 PM
I was looking through my copy of the Complete Scoundrel today and came across the Combat Trapsmith, which has intrigued me every time I happened by it. It sounds like a really fun idea for a character, and makes for some really nice fluff--but how's the crunch?

It seems a bit underpowered, but could I alleviate this by adding +1d6 sneak attack damage at 2nd and 4th level (assuming I was entering it as a Rogue)?

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-28, 10:08 PM
I was looking through my copy of the Complete Scoundrel today and came across the Combat Trapsmith, which has intrigued me every time I happened by it. It sounds like a really fun idea for a character, and makes for some really nice fluff--but how's the crunch?

It seems a bit underpowered, but could I alleviate this by adding +1d6 sneak attack damage at 2nd and 4th level (assuming I was entering it as a Rogue)?

I actually played a guy once (Kobold) who had Combat Trapsmith levels. I also had Trapsmith (Complete Adventurer?) levels for extra fun. I could set up traps almost instantly and my DM allowed for creativity so I killed a boss that was supposed to TPK (it wasn't a serious game) by blowing it up with multiple explosion traps. Its really fun, I want to play one again...

Anyway, by itself it isn't that great, but if you take Trapsmith levels as well its amazing if your DM allows for some creativity.

MisterSaturnine
2007-11-28, 10:10 PM
Trapsmith, eh? I'll definitely have to look at that. Thanks! Oh, and for the record, big fan of the Avatar d20 project.

Ganurath
2007-11-28, 10:15 PM
Trapsmith, eh? I'll definitely have to look at that. Thanks! Oh, and for the record, big fan of the Avatar d20 project.I'm actually pretty sure I read about a trapper PrC in PHB II, and I know for a fact there aren't any trappers in Complete Adventurer. I'm guessing PHB II is where Trapsmith is.

2007-11-28, 10:20 PM
You should be a trapsmith and then multiclass assassin.

Make sure you're a female human with skintight leather.

Voilla! You're a D2:ToD Trapassin now!

Fax Celestis
2007-11-28, 10:21 PM
I'm actually pretty sure I read about a trapper PrC in PHB II, and I know for a fact there aren't any trappers in Complete Adventurer. I'm guessing PHB II is where Trapsmith is.

Actually, it's in Dungeonscape.

The_Snark
2007-11-28, 10:25 PM
Trapsmith's an excellent class, too; the booby traps are okay (and a lot like the combat trapsmith), but it's the spellcasting that's the kicker.

Between Fabricate and Stone Shape, you can have elaborate traps like pit traps or scythes springing out of the wall set up in just a few rounds.

Combat Trapsmith isn't as good, but some of the traps (the sleep powder, the web trap, and the like) are pretty good.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-28, 10:39 PM
Actually, it's in Dungeonscape.

GAH!!! That's why I hate not having my books around...

Anyway, The Snark is right about the spellcasting, that's a definite plus (for the Trapsmith that is), but the traps the Combat Trapsmith gets are very useful and even emulate some spells with very little resource consumption. If I remember correctly (though don't take my word for it) Kobolds have Rogue substitution levels that give bonuses to trapmaking and you can get some amazing traps out of a good Kobold build.

@MisterSaturnine: Glad you like the Avatar Project! Its good to know all my work is appreciated.

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-29, 12:25 AM
Well, now I'm interested.

I don't have access to my books at the moment, and I'm not really familiar with the substitution levels period - perhaps somebody could hash out a basic trapsmith/combat trapsmith build for me? Is it worth trying to fit in both PrC's, or would one cover most of your needs?