PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Effects of alcohol

Cheesegear
2022-08-11, 01:08 AM
What are they?
Where are they?

There are a few abilities in the game that refer to 'the effects of alcohol.' Of course how much can the party drink because they suffer positive/negative effects for a few hours, vomit, and/or fall unconcious (or die)?

I was in the middle of a session trying to figure out how to do a drinking contest, and what are the consequences - even if you win? Just searching and searching and searching...

Am I blind? Or does 'Modern D&D' avoid rules for alcohol abuse?

Angelalex242
2022-08-11, 01:11 AM
I think it's the DM makes up whatever seems logical with rule 0.

However, it is worth noting alcohol is considered 'poison' for resistances and such, which is why dwarves can drink everyone else under the table. Also why 10th level monks can't meaningfully drink at all anymore, because alcohol is just another poison they're immune to.

Mastikator
2022-08-11, 02:01 AM
Poisoned condition but also immunity to fear? D&D doesn't simulate things that alcohol affect really, there's no memory or pain in the rules. At very drunk you could start asking for acrobatics checks when they walk.

Chronos
2022-08-11, 06:20 AM
Drink excessively, roll a Con save. Drink more, and more saves with increasing DC. Fail, and you're poisoned. Keep on drinking after that, and the next fail, you're unconscious. Done.

Unoriginal
2022-08-11, 07:39 AM
What are they?
Where are they?

There are a few abilities in the game that refer to 'the effects of alcohol.' Of course how much can the party drink because they suffer positive/negative effects for a few hours, vomit, and/or fall unconcious (or die)?

I was in the middle of a session trying to figure out how to do a drinking contest, and what are the consequences - even if you win? Just searching and searching and searching...

Am I blind? Or does 'Modern D&D' avoid rules for alcohol abuse?

Several modules present drunk/hungover people as under the effect of the "poisoned" condition.

Damon_Tor
2022-08-11, 11:16 AM
It seems pretty simple to me. Alcohol causes the "poisoned" condition (duration of 1 hour) on a failed save. Stronger alcohol has a higher save DC to resist that condition. I'd say beer/wine is a DC 5-8, liquor is a DC 12-15. Once you already have the poisoned condition it starts to cause poison damage instead with a level of exhaustion if you fail by 5 or more. If you hit 0 HP from this poison damage you pass out and fall unconcious, but are stable. If you have enough exhaustion to wake up with at least one level the next day, that is a hangover.

That's probably all that's required to model alcohol.

questionmark693
2022-08-11, 12:05 PM
It seems pretty simple to me. Alcohol causes the "poisoned" condition (duration of 1 hour) on a failed save. Stronger alcohol has a higher save DC to resist that condition. I'd say beer/wine is a DC 5-8, liquor is a DC 12-15. Once you already have the poisoned condition it starts to cause poison damage instead with a level of exhaustion if you fail by 5 or more. If you hit 0 HP from this poison damage you pass out and fall unconcious, but are stable. If you have enough exhaustion to wake up with at least one level the next day, that is a hangover.

That's probably all that's required to model alcohol.

The only thing I'd say to add is that multiple drinks increase the DC.

Damon_Tor
2022-08-11, 05:52 PM
The only thing I'd say to add is that multiple drinks increase the DC.

Yeah, that would add some realism, but at the cost of more book keeping.

Tawmis
2022-08-11, 06:10 PM
Fun rule (if you play a light hearted game) - CON Save (vs DC of whatever you deem the potent of the alcohol).
If they fail - for every 1 point they fail by is 1 stat impacted.
So if they fail by 6 or more (Or simply Critical fail) - all six stats are impacted.
But if it's not all six stats (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHR) - then roll 1 D6 for each point below.
So if they roll a 3, then it impacts the third stat on the character sheet which is CON.
Any stat impacted is at Disadvantage.
Either Super Disadvantage if it lands on it again (if they got more than 1 below the failure and rolled the same thing) or just re-roll.

So, say they drink "Dragon's Breath" which is a special dwarven brew - CON DC Save of 15.
They roll 13.
2 points below.
Roll 1d6 twice.
See what stats are impacted as Disadvantage.