PDA

View Full Version : Wingover, Hover and good maneuverability

Particle_Man
2022-08-12, 11:58 AM
I will have a character that will have a fly speed with good maneuverability.

As a prerequisite feat I can choose between Wingover or Hover.

Does either feat grant me anything that good maneuverability does not already grant?

ericgrau
2022-08-12, 01:44 PM
Hover: Combined with enlarge person or other way to get large size lets you create a 60 foot radius cloud if there are a lot of loose debris. It not only impairs vision at 15' or more but also forces concentration checks to cast. Other than a move action to initiate the hover one time, it does not take any actions to maintain. Super useful alongside melee, less useful alongside party casters unless you figure out some way to keep them free of it. But even then good to have in case you're in a wide open area and can impair a caster or ranged foes in one spot while allies are in another spot.

Wingover: No.

So pick hover. Certainly better than nothing.

tyckspoon
2022-08-12, 01:56 PM
Wingover does still grant you the ability to turn around mid-air - Good maneuverability lets you hold position, but you still have to move if you want to rotate (requires 10 feet of space to change facing by 180 degrees, with Wingover you can do it on the spot.) Up to you if that's worthwhile, I would guess most of the time you are not worrying about your ultra precise position in the air or navigating in such tight spaces that it's going to matter very much.

Would go with Hover - even if you already have no minimum forward speed (ie, can hover in place as is) the dust-cloud effect is potentially useful and may be worth considering a feat to get for a character that intends to be mostly aerial.

ericgrau
2022-08-12, 02:54 PM
Good maneuverability costs 5 feet of movement to do a 90 turn stopped in place so 10 feet for 180. Wingover costs 10 feet and doesn't let you gain altitude in the same turn. For that matter good maneuverability lets you move backward without turning around at a 5 foot initial cost. Or move forward 5' and turn 90 at the same time without costing any additional movement. So wingover doesn't add anything.

Fizban
2022-08-12, 03:40 PM
Hover lets you cut your fly speed in half to "fly in any direction, including straight down or straight up, at half speed," which sounds like it basically means Perfect to me. At Good maneuverability, moving up still costs double and you still have costs for reversing and turning. Even if the DM requires you to pay costs if you hover in anything but a straight line, that still gives you a free turn every turn in addition to matching the up speed of Good, and is far closer to what you'll be accustomed to should you lose access to Good.

Neither feat is worth it if you don't have a high fly speed to begin with, except as a prerequisite since you're being required to take it for Improved Maneuverability (which is usually priced at a only a single feat, as price which then upends every high speed Average flight creature).

Particle_Man
2022-08-12, 04:45 PM
Yeah the thing is the table says I already get hover at good maneuverability, unless hover the feat adds something that hover the table granted ability does not.

Maybe hover and wingover are both simply prerequisite feat taxes once I get to good maneuverability.

lylsyly
2022-08-13, 06:35 AM
If I HAD to choose between Hover and Wingover I would choose Hover (for the same reasons already explained). However, if I HAD to choose a flight related feat I would much rather choose Improved Flight to get Perfect Mobility.

False God
2022-08-13, 10:31 AM
Yeah the thing is the table says I already get hover at good maneuverability, unless hover the feat adds something that hover the table granted ability does not.

Maybe hover and wingover are both simply prerequisite feat taxes once I get to good maneuverability.

Hover will be a feat tax for later on feats, but if for some reason your maneuverability gets reduced, you'll still be able to hover. Wingover allows you to do a 180 on a dime, which is effectively double what Good Maneuverability will allow you do. It's also a feat tax for later aerial combat feats.
Here's a chart:
https://64.media.tumblr.com/bbcff5ab5c33791e3a07e405e5461184/tumblr_inline_o95a9luHXA1qdq19t_1280.png