PDA

View Full Version : Running a low level all caster game

JoshuaZ
2022-08-12, 03:37 PM
My next campaign is going to be somewhat low level (probably 2 through 8) with all casters in a pseudo-Victorian world where magic has been gone for 2000 years and is now just starting to come back. The game is going to be a mix of PF/3.5 material. I'm wondering if anyone has advice for running an all caster game at these levels, and what I need to be careful about in general.

Anthrowhale
2022-08-12, 03:51 PM
At low levels, Wild Cohort, the ACF which swaps familiar for animal companions, and Shape Soulmeld[Bloodtalons] can be quite powerful for casters.

Kurald Galain
2022-08-12, 04:13 PM
In terms of Pathfinder material, you should be wary of, or flat-out forbid, the (non-unchained) summoner class, and of the witch's slumber hex, and of the Wayang spellhunter and magical lineage traits.

lylsyly
2022-08-13, 06:56 AM
Just some food for thought but in one of the homebrewed settings I occasionally run I have eliminated Clerics/Druids/Sorcerers/Wizards. The only casting classes are Bards/Paladins/Rangers. They all use the Bard Spells per Day and Spells Known tables. Bards are Charisma based and only have Somantic components, they can choose spells from the Bard & Sorc/Wiz lists. Paladins are Wisdom based and only have Verbal components, they can choose spells from the Paladin & Cleric lists. Rangers are Intelligence based and only have Material components, they can choose spells from the Ranger & Druid lists.

We have rotating DMs and the only time I use this is as a filler (3-6 or 3-9 levels) when whoever is up next needs some time. I ran it from 3-20 when I first set it up just to test it out but I really set it up for just this reason.

Alcore
2022-08-13, 08:49 AM
In Pathfinder "all caster" does not mean "squishy".

My mind immediately jumps to the occultist with medium armor, good HP and decent spells. They don't have as many slots as a proper wizard but they have a good spell list.

Calibrate the encounters for the party. I don't mean giving out SR to everyone. Keep track of highest AC, highest Save, and the lowest of those as well. Try not to have a monster that has attack well above that or DCs too high. The CRs were assumed to have a balanced party so you'll have to adhoc the XP based on monster performance rather than flat CR. Try to switch out a toughness feat for iron will; blasting is considered unoptimal so reducing HP of enemies while making them moderately more resistant to optimal magics might make more builds possible.

Try to have more non combat encounters. The one thing I loved about the Carrion Crown AP was the knowledge checks that actually gave XP. Note that the knowledge gained was applicable to the situation so it was not like some magic guy can walk into a library, researched random trivia in an afternoon and walk out one level higher (i probably would still grant xp but it would be reduced). You'll only need the first book to get an idea of what I mean. I don't have them on me but I'll get back to you.

With magic they can punch up their weight class but I don't recommend doing the typical "stand and deliver" where two parties are in a room and only one must be allowed to leave. This is a perfect time for ghosts and other monsters of high maneuverability. Turn that one encounter into a murder mystery and/or long monster hunt. The game will devolve into rocket tag sometimes whether you want it or not.

Get the players on board with this stuff. Add hero points, reward tropey behavior (like letting the enemy get away, saving the innocent over killing). Session zero is more important than ever here.