PDA

View Full Version : Class based off this combo

Stormtrooper666
2022-08-14, 08:55 PM
Hey

My dnd group and I have been rewatching Game of Thrones. We decided to play a dnd class based off characters from the show. I happen to be big fan of The Hound, Bronn and Ned/Barristan Selmy.

Any class that comes close to combining these?

It seems to be a paladin/fighter combo but I thought I'd ask here.

Rynjin
2022-08-14, 09:03 PM
Their classes are Fighter, Fighter, Fighter, and Fighter respectively.

Some combination of Fighter and Fighter is likely appropriate to really put all of their abilities on display.

Rukelnikov
2022-08-14, 09:57 PM

Some combination of Fighter and Fighter is likely appropriate to really put all of their abilities on display.

I can see Bronn having some levels of Rogue

kazaryu
2022-08-14, 10:02 PM
Hey

My dnd group and I have been rewatching Game of Thrones. We decided to play a dnd class based off characters from the show. I happen to be big fan of The Hound, Bronn and Ned/Barristan Selmy.

Any class that comes close to combining these?

It seems to be a paladin/fighter combo but I thought I'd ask here.

combining all of them? i mean, thematically ned/barristan would work as paladins. although obviously the magic doesn't match. And you don't need to play a paladin to play a person of ideals.

but yeah, battlemaster certainly matches the hound/bronn's attitude. i.e. not really fighting honorably. whatever it takes to win. plenty of 'dirty tricks'. and its not like none of them are inherently dirty to the point that it isn't something you'd see out of ned/barristen.

altohugh thematically sir barristen would be more closely represented as a champion. but thats just splitting hairs.

so...uhh yeah, thts what i'd say. battlemaster is probably the closest match.

Mastikator
2022-08-15, 02:48 AM
2 levels of rogue for cunning action, 1 level of paladin for divine sense (we don't see Selmy use any magic, but he does have a knack for sussing out supernatural threats), rest fighter. Battlemaster makes most sense for both Bronn and Selmy so I'd go for that subclass.

All of them are sword and board, so I'd go with duelist fighting style. If you decide to go paladin 2 then I'd either go double duelist (for that sweet +4 damage) or defense fighting style from the paladin side.

Edit- oh and Noble background with the optional version of knight. Both Bronn and Selmy are anointed knights, and both Selmy and Clegane come from noble houses. For race I'd probably just take variant human and take a lucky feat or something universally useful.

JellyPooga
2022-08-15, 03:17 AM

Come on. I mean, you really ought to consider some Fighter for that build as well, to really showcase what they can do.

Nidgit
2022-08-15, 03:22 AM
Selmy actually has big Swashbuckler vibes in his youth and in the books, where he gets a lot more time to shine. Dude's kind of a rockstar.

Anyways, thematically you're looking to mash up a lot of different characters. The Hound is probably a Champion or Battlemaster Fighter with potentially a dash of Barbarian. Bronn is a textbook Rogue/Battlemaster multiclass, which is quite solid. Barristan Selmy is a Crown Paladin or maybe a Samurai, and Ned is just some flavor of Fighter. They all have pretty different philosophies though, and pretty different styles too. I'd suggest picking one or two characters to focus on rather than all of them.

Mechanically speaking, a Fighter dip goes well with basically anything. A Barbarian dip can be good for a Fighter and potentially good for a Rogue or Paladin if used wisely. Rogue isn't an especially good dip for any class but doesn't have breakpoints in the same way other classes do, so you can really put as many extra levels in as you want. Paladin dips are generally bad for non-caster classes, so if you're thinking Paladin you should commit to it being mostly your primary class.

Two possible builds I'd suggest would be Battlemaster X/Swashbuckler X (probably 8/12 split, but very flexible) for a skilled and wily fighter or a Crown Paladin X/Cavalier 3 for a classic honorable knight who can protect others.

Nidgit
2022-08-15, 03:24 AM
All of them are sword and board, so I'd go with duelist fighting style. If you decide to go paladin 2 then I'd either go double duelist (for that sweet +4 damage) or defense fighting style from the paladin side.
You can't double-up on the same Fighting Style.

RSP
2022-08-15, 03:46 AM
I don’t think any of the characters are Paladins as none of them have supernatural abilities/spells.

BM probably works for Ned (Commander’s Strike, Tactical Assesment, Rally, Commanding Presence and Distracting Strike)

Selmy - generally BM is my default fighter who’s tactical and Selmy seems to fit this.

Bronn - Rogue could be added in, but what we see of him in the show and books is still probably BM. He didn’t use finesse weapons from what I could tell (so no SA), and nothing about him screams Expertise. Cunning Action could represent his moving around opponents in heavier armor, but so can Mobility or maneuvers.

Clegan - Again, seems to have some BM, though Barb could work, as previously suggested. I say the character is still more fighting prowess than rage/brute strength, but Barb could represent his abilities.

JellyPooga
2022-08-15, 04:32 AM
I don’t think any of the characters are Paladins as none of them have supernatural abilities/spells.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing (I personally don't think any of the characters fit the Paladin chassis), but not all spells and magical/supernatural abilities have to have flashy or visible effects. Smite, for example, is just hitting for more damage; nothing says it must make your sword glow or anything and the likes of Auras and self buffs can be similarly invisible. Anyone throwing around fireballs and the like is obviously going to display visibly, but many Paladin features could easily go under the radar, so to speak.

RSP
2022-08-15, 04:53 AM
I'm not necessarily disagreeing (I personally don't think any of the characters fit the Paladin chassis), but not all spells and magical/supernatural abilities have to have flashy or visible effects. Smite, for example, is just hitting for more damage; nothing says it must make your sword glow or anything and the likes of Auras and self buffs can be similarly invisible. Anyone throwing around fireballs and the like is obviously going to display visibly, but many Paladin features could easily go under the radar, so to speak.

Depends how you view it/use it. Nothing in the characters so far as I recall had anything to do with Spellcasting (including anything resembling V, S, M components) or dealing Radiant-esque damage (like from Smites).

You could have Selmy as a Paladin and just never have them cast spells (assuming you wanted to reflect this part of the character in your game), and only use slots for Smite (and have your DM agree to allow the Smite damage to be changed to whatever type the weapon deals), but I think you’d be needlessly handicapping the character by doing so (in being a half caster class that doesn’t cast).

Really depends what you want to play and how you’re incorporating the character traits from the GoT characters.

You could have a Bladesinger that just acts like Bronn, if it’s playing the personality that you enjoy.

Rynjin
2022-08-15, 05:04 AM
Come on. I mean, you really ought to consider some Fighter for that build as well, to really showcase what they can do.

Don't be ridiculous. 5e's powergaming culture has truly gotten out of hand if people are suggesting such degenerate cheese.

animorte
2022-08-15, 05:42 AM
Going to second the Fighter 1/Fighter 5/Fighter X combo for this build. Just make sure you get it in that order or you’ll really be falling behind.

Ok, seriously though…

I would definitely consider Vengeance Paladin 3/Swashbuckler X:
Vow of Enmity is so very much Bronn. This gives you exceptional amounts of dueling capability easily flavored as taunting your enemy. Though none of the characters you listed ever really let their emotions get the better of them, this concept is a little MAD.

Here I will note the common theme of trying to copy characters from television and movies: Trying to build a Fighter or Ranger isn’t going to properly display what Aragorn is capable of. Trying to build a Wizard just because they’re all called Witches and Wizards in Harry Potter is quite off the mark.

Skrum
2022-08-15, 08:51 AM
Yeah it's Battle Masters all the way down. This class is honestly the best way to represent like 70% of fictional characters - it's abilities are genericly "competent combatant" with particular maneuver selections giving the flavor. Dirty fighter, inspiring fighter, tactical fighter, etc etc etc.

I wouldn't go higher than 7 *at the highest* with any of these characters, if you're really sticking to the books. Argument for not going higher than 4-5, though that makes multiclassing more limited.

Bronn I'd do rogue 2 fighter 5. Trip attack, parry (he should have good Dex), quick toss. I seem to remember him fighting with two weapons at times, which is annoying within the rules of DND because he definitely uses a longsword. Could take the dueling feat, or just use short sword/dagger and the twf style

The Hound barb 1 fighter 5. Menacing attack, brace, (something else, maybe parry). In the infinite wisdom of The Developers, casters are more capable of casting spells while wearing heavy armor than barbs are of raging while doing so, but them's the rules. I think rage is a very well fitting for the Hound though, so I'd go for it. I'd probably favor getting 14 Dex and use half-plate and a shield. You can at least use parry to some effect.

Selmy: fighter 6 or 7. I don't remember him a much, but get Commanding Presence

Psyren
2022-08-15, 09:37 AM
Oberyn Martell is a spear-using monk, who goes up against the Mountain's Berserker Barbarian :smallbiggrin: