PDA

View Full Version : 3.P - A Spellcaster Fit For Looney Tunes?

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-08-14, 09:03 PM
Okay, I had this really fun idea, and I'd like some input from y'all.

I want spells, feats, classes, and magic items that would be perfectly in-line with a wizard (or other character) from Toon Town (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiHJ0EdVY4o). Summon anvil, summon pianoforte, summon wacky hijinx, you name it. Ways to use portable holes to pass through walls, or maybe Nolzur's marvelous pigments to do the same? Whatever you can think of, I'd love to see.

Unfortunately, I'm drawing a bit of a blank on how to do it. Still, I'd love to see what everyone comes up with!

2022-08-14, 09:29 PM
Okay, I had this really fun idea, and I'd like some input from y'all.

I want spells, feats, classes, and magic items that would be perfectly in-line with a wizard (or other character) from Toon Town (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiHJ0EdVY4o). Summon anvil, summon pianoforte, summon wacky hijinx, you name it. Ways to use portable holes to pass through walls, or maybe Nolzur's marvelous pigments to do the same? Whatever you can think of, I'd love to see.

Unfortunately, I'm drawing a bit of a blank on how to do it. Still, I'd love to see what everyone comes up with!

My answer is a bit boring, unfortunately.

When I think of toon shenanigans, the thing I think of is how unexpected they tend to be. They run on strange logic, and are built around surprising whoever the butt of the joke is. You expect nothing, and there's something, like when Tom reaches into the mouse hole...right into a bear trap Jerry has laid. You expect something when there's nothing, like you run out onto what you thought would be more solid ground, onto to find your legs pinwheeling beneath you right before you spot the open air beneath you and plummet to the ground. A toon can pull any object or creature out of thin air, and no matter how far or how fast you run, they can always get there before you can, because The Cat Came Back. And of course, endless cartoon violence: not necessarily killing blows, but they always push you back, or make you go stumbling around with stars over your head, or flatten you like a pancake, or blow you to smithereens in a recoverable manner. And of course, the ideal toon protagonist tends to be a rascally little trickster, not somebody who succeeds based on brawn, but on brain. Cunning and trickery the whole way through.

To truly be unexpected, you need spells that are not only difficult to identify (Spell Thematics?), but also spells that have variable effects, such that the person you're messing with has no idea what you're about to do even if they identify what spell you're using. The whole "something from nothing" or "nothing from something" is almost a perfect fit for the illusion school of magic, too - you could easily get somebody running out onto 'solid ground' only for it to disappear the second their foot fails to hit pavement and they go plummeting. But also, all that slapstick is gonna need a lot of effects that deal damage and move people around, which the evocation school has in spades. But also, if you wanna pull creatures out of thin air, you're gonna need Conjuration spells (at the very least, the ones in the summoning subschool). And for objects from nowhere...well, some evocation spells will do that, but really you need conjuration (creation) spells to do the trick. And you need to be able to do all these on the fly, as some kind of physically-unintimidating trickster type...

You know what would be ideal. What would be ideal is some small race that's got a natural talent for magic. And they can use some method of like...casting an illusion spell, except depending on their mood in the moment, they could turn that illusion spell into an illusion, or into a summoned creature, or into a created object, or into some dynamite/giant hammer/bear trap/cannon/catapult/cream pie/etc -flavored evocation spell. It would also be ideal if this evocation-by-illusion method was actually physical, so disbelieving doesn't save you from the effect entirely...or even at all...or hell, maybe disbelieving makes it worse? That feels pretty fitting for toon powers, right? Just throw in some teleportation to get The Cat Came Back powers, and you've got practically the full toon package, other than their ridiculous toughness. Although if you made a wizard with FMI (Passions), your HP would be through the roof, and there's a feat to add Int to Ref to make dodging stuff easy.

Of course, as I say all that...I know full well that such a build exists. It's just...you know (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=16433.0)...

Telonius
2022-08-14, 09:32 PM
Air Walk, concentration-based. (Ends when you look down).

Tenser's Transformation, in the form of a "potion" (= can of spinach).

EDIT: Always forget this one has a material component (since I don't think I've ever seen this cast in game). Just change the material component:

Material Component
A potion of bull’s strength can of spinach, which you drink (and whose effects are subsumed by the spell effects) eat.

Snake Skin. If grappled, you can shed everything you wear (except for a pair of boxer shorts) and slip out of the enemy's grasp.

Buufreak
2022-08-14, 09:54 PM
Air Walk, concentration-based. (Ends when you look down).

Tenser's Transformation, in the form of a "potion" (= can of spinach).

Snake Skin. If grappled, you can shed everything you wear (except for a pair of boxer shorts) and slip out of the enemy's grasp.

White-with-hearts pattern shorts, to be rather specific. And certainly loose enough that there is definitely no possible way for any sort of unmentionables could be seen or hinted towards through silhouette.

Thealtruistorc
2022-08-14, 10:19 PM
If homebrew is permitted, I don't think you can get much more perfect than this. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?122824-(3-5)-Discipline-Falling-Anvil-v-2-(P-E-A-C-H-))

Ramza00
2022-08-15, 01:43 AM
Shadowcraft mage focused on Illusions for variable offensive effects. Giving you flexibility but also pseudo reality if your opponent makes a will save.

Permeable Form, a 3rd level Immediate Action spell to become Incorporeal to allow defensive and mobility shenanigans.

There is probably more we can do, but those two lines are 80% of what you want to do and we can do another 5 or so tricks to round out the remaining 20%.

Malphegor
2022-08-15, 03:27 AM
A swiftblade who’s otherwise a illusionist (to keep up with the Coyote’s illusory paint and traps budget from his affiliation with Acme’s beta testing stipend) can probably get you 90% of the way to being Road Runner. Maybe that race of angry ostriches from one of the fiendish codexes?

Meep meep

Biggus
2022-08-15, 03:59 AM
There was a whole RPG that ran on this, you might be able to take some inspiration from that:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TabletopGame/Toon