PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Build Help: Slayer (w/ house rules)

Fyndhal
2022-08-15, 02:37 PM
I'm starting a new game next weekend and want to play as a Slayer. The GM has a couple house rules that apply.

First, he's allowing the Arcane Enforcer Archetype from Owlcat's WotR game.

Arcane Enforcer
Arcanist Exploits: At 1st level and every 2 levels thereafter, you learn a new Exploit. An Exploit may not be learned more than once. Once an Exploit has been selected, it cannot be changed. Most exploits require spending points from the Arcane Reservior in order to function. Unless otherwise noted, the saving throw DC for Exploits is 10 + Half Slayer Level + Charisma Modifier.
Selecting this Archetype removes the Quarry, Improved Quarry, Slayer's Advance abilities as well as the level 4 and level 10 Slayer Talent choices.

Second, he's allowing a free starting Feat, so long as it is "Flavor" rather than a core combat Feat. (Street Smarts, for example.)

Third, and this one is BIG, is he's giving Slayer's full Rogue Sneak Attack progression.

Right now, I've gone with Half-Elf and a Statline of Str 14 (16 racial) Dex 14 Con 11 Int 12 Wis 10 Cha 12. The character must be able to fulfill a Rogue's trapfinding/disarming duties, albeit poorly.

Now for the questions:
1) TWF or Two-Hander? TWF is clearly more opportunities for SA's, but a 2H Reach Weapon could be more overall useful. Most guides rate TWF higher.
2) Aside from dipping into Shadowdancer, is there a good way of gaining Hide in Plain Sight or the equivalent?
3) If Shadowdancer is the best option, does that change the answer to 1 at all?

Opinions and Feedback more than welcome; it's been more than 10 years since I played PF/3.5 so to say I'm rusty is an understatement.

Kurald Galain
2022-08-15, 02:59 PM
Arcane Enforcer is nice; most exploits aren't suited for a melee character, but there are some nice ones like Dimensional Slide, and even School Understanding (divination); and Arcane Weapon is an obvious pick; and familiars are pretty good.

Extra feat, I'm sure you can find something useful that isn't a combat feat.
Full sneak attack is not exactly BIG since slayer deals plenty of damage already by itself. Don't worry about it, you can kill most things on a full attack.

To answer your questions,
1) With sneak attack? TWF, hands down. That said, you can wield a kusarigama and get both.
2) Shadow's Shroud or Hellcat Stealth feat; or even better, dip two levels in ninja to get Vanishing Trick.
3) No, and I think you should stick with one level of shadowdancer at most, to advance your slayer class features.

Fyndhal
2022-08-15, 03:07 PM
That said, you can wield a kusarigama and get both.

LOL that was my first choice and my GM said, "God, no, you can't use weeaboo weapons!"

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at them.

Fyndhal
2022-08-16, 11:36 AM
Character planned progression:
1) Slayer/General: Feat: TWF
2) Slayer: Talent: Ranger Combat Style (Double Slice) Perform Dance 1
3) Slayer/General: Feat: Dodge
4) Slayer: NA/ Perform Dance 2 (Str +1 15)
5) Slayer/General: Feat: EWP: Sawtooth Saber
6) Slayer: Talent: Ranger Combat Style (Shatter Defenses) Knowledge Planes 5
7) Fighter/General: Feat: Mobility / Wind Stance
8) Fighter: Combat Reflexes (Str +1 18)
9) Fighter (Mutation Warrior)/General: Outflank
10) Shadowdancer

Arkain
2022-08-17, 10:48 AM
Character planned progression:
1) Slayer/General: Feat: TWF
2) Slayer: Talent: Ranger Combat Style (Double Slice) Perform Dance 1
6) Slayer: Talent: Ranger Combat Style (Shatter Defenses) Knowledge Planes 5

Unless I misunderstand something here, this doesn't work. To choose TWF you need 15 dexterity, but your proposed build reads 14 dex above (unless you meant 16 dex and not 16 strength as I read it). You could choose the feat and its improved variants via combat style though. The combat style, to my understanding, is also locked in once you choose the talent, so you can't go two-weapon combat style for Double Slice and then menacing for Shatter Defenses (which I believe is only available there). I would also advise against Double Slice, it's really not good unless you have tremendously high strength and even then is mostly just okay.
If you want to really focus on the trapfinding duties, there is also a talent called Trapfinding by the way, which gives you... well, trapfinding and Disable Device as a class skill, though I'd probably go with a trait over the talent there.

Fyndhal
2022-08-18, 12:38 PM
Unless I misunderstand something here, this doesn't work. To choose TWF you need 15 dexterity, but your proposed build reads 14 dex above (unless you meant 16 dex and not 16 strength as I read it). You could choose the feat and its improved variants via combat style though. The combat style, to my understanding, is also locked in once you choose the talent, so you can't go two-weapon combat style for Double Slice and then menacing for Shatter Defenses (which I believe is only available there). I would also advise against Double Slice, it's really not good unless you have tremendously high strength and even then is mostly just okay.
If you want to really focus on the trapfinding duties, there is also a talent called Trapfinding by the way, which gives you... well, trapfinding and Disable Device as a class skill, though I'd probably go with a trait over the talent there.

The Ranger Combat Style allows you to ignore Pre-requisites for Feats. You may be correct re: locked in styles; I wasn't able to find anything clarifying it. My GM was okay with it, though, so that's all that really matters.

As for Trapfinding, yeah, I was eyeing that. If it looks like it will be needed, I'll substitute something to get it.

vasilidor
2022-08-19, 04:25 AM
Ranger styles explicitly ignore feat pre-requisites.
At 2nd level, a ranger must select one combat style to pursue.

The ranger’s expertise manifests in the form of bonus feats at 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level. He can choose feats from his selected combat style, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites.

The benefits of the ranger’s chosen style feats apply only when he wears light, medium, or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style feats when wearing heavy armor. Once a ranger selects a combat style, it cannot be changed.
But they cannot wear heavy armor while using the feats granted by it, that is the catch.

Fyndhal
2022-08-19, 01:19 PM

You are correct re: Ranger Styles. Re-reading the Slayer Entry, it's pretty clear. Not sure how I misinterpreted it previously.

Ranger Combat Style (Ex)
Benefit: The slayer selects a ranger combat style (such as archery or two-weapon combat) and gains a combat feat from the first feat list of that style. He can choose feats from his selected combat style, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites. At 6th level, he may select this talent again and add the 6th-level ranger combat feats from his chosen style to the list. At 10th level, he may select this talent again and add the 10th-level ranger combat feats from his chosen style to the list.

Fyndhal
2022-08-19, 01:27 PM
Considering the issues that've come up in this thread and on my groups Discord chat, I've changed things up a bit. Instead of TWF I'll be using a Greatsword. Less SA opportunities, but higher up front damage.

Statline is now: 18 Str, 13 Dex, 10 Con, 12 Int, 10 Wis, 10 Cha

New Progression is:
1) Slayer/General: Feat: Dodge Perform Dance 1
2) Slayer: Talent: Rogue Talent: Combat Trick (Power Attack)
3) Slayer/General: Feat: Mobility
4) Slayer: NA/ Perform Dance 2 (Str +1 15)
5) Slayer/General: Feat: Combat Reflexes
6) Slayer: Talent: Ranger Combat Style (Shatter Defenses)
7) Shadowdancer: Feat: Canny Tumble
8) Shadowdancer: (Str +1 18)
9) Shadowdancer/General: Spring Attack / Combat Trick (Whirlwind Attack)
10) Shadowdancer: