PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with oots fan campaign

Chincaa
2022-08-16, 06:34 PM
Hello friends, I need some help.

I've been asked to DM a campaign based on an alternative version of the oots Storyline. In this version, Redcloak ends up joining the party to help stop Xykon.

There are going to be 5 players, they are going to be playing Roy, Haley, Elan, Redcloak and Belkar. 2 players have no experience with DnD, 1 player only has experience with Adventurers League - because of this, we have agreed to only use stuff from Player's handbook for now. All of the PCs are going to start at lvl. 3.

So far, the line-up looks like this. Does it seem fitting?

Redcloack, Goblin Cleric - Knowledge domain. Background: acolyte.
Roy Greenhilt, Human fighter - Arcane knight (story specific reasons). Background: Folk hero.
Haley Starshine, Human variant Rogue - Thief. Background: Criminal.
Belkar Bitterleaf, Stout Halfling Ranger - Beastmaster. Background: Criminal.
Elan Quinson, Human variant bard - College of Lore. Background: Entertainer.

I really need some help making spell lists. The Belkar player wants either “beastbond” or “speak with animals” and the Elan player wants "as many healing spells as possible" but other than that, everything is open for suggestions.

The Belkar player is of course going to get Mr. Scruffy at some point, but not at the beginning of the campaign. The player asked if he should start with another pet then (in which case, he wants a panther). Do you think a ranger with a panther and a cat would be too overpowered at any point?

I'm also looking for feat suggestions.

KorvinStarmast
2022-08-16, 07:52 PM
Redcloack, Goblin Cleric - Knowledge domain. Background: acolyte.
Roy Greenhilt, Human fighter - Arcane knight (story specific reasons). Background: Folk hero.
Haley Starshine, Human variant Rogue - Thief. Background: Criminal.
Belkar Bitterleaf, Stout Halfling Ranger - Beastmaster. Background: Criminal.
Elan Quinson, Human variant bard - College of Lore. Background: Entertainer.
There is no goblin in the PHB. Make him a gnome, call him a goblin, and go.

Elan player wants "as many healing spells as possible" but other than that, everything is open for suggestions. Lore bard already has this. Have the player Actually Freaking Read The Spell List. Here's my suggestion for the level 3 start for a lore bard: d
Vicious Mockery, Light (He and Belkar do not have dark vision, neither does Roy, neither does Haley)
Healing Word, Lesser Restoration, Blindness / Deafness, Command, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Shatter

The Belkar player is of course going to get Mr. Scruffy at some point, but not at the beginning of the campaign. The player asked if he should start with another pet then (in which case, he wants a panther). Do you think a ranger with a panther and a cat would be too overpowered at any point?
Belkar plays beast master ranger. You have them starting at level 3. Problem solved.

Dork_Forge
2022-08-17, 01:22 AM
If this is around OOTS, why is Belkar a beast master and Elan a Lore Bard? Mr Scruffy does not do nearly enough in combat to warrant that and Elan is a more than competent swordsman.

What part of OOTS are you actually basing this campaign on? From the beginning?