PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Player Transformation Features

Oramac
2022-08-17, 12:49 PM
I'm trying to think of all the features that allow a player character to transform themselves into something else.

I've got
- Wild Shape
- Polymorph (and True Poly)
- Shapechange

I'm racking my brain and can't think of anything else, but I feel like I'm missing some. What else is out there?

nickl_2000
2022-08-17, 01:24 PM
Some of these might not be what you are looking for.

-Shifting for the Shifter
-Disguise Self
-Changeling can change the look
-Wish
-Draconic Transformation
-Tensor's Transformation
-Alter Self
-Beast Barbarian Rage.

Greywander
2022-08-17, 01:26 PM
Alter Self

Depending on what you're counting, Magic Jar

Shifter race
Changeling race

A number of class features and spells give a minor transformation, but those are mostly fluff (e.g. you grow claws or look extra spooky), so YMMV.

Hal
2022-08-18, 08:52 AM
A number of class features and spells give a minor transformation, but those are mostly fluff (e.g. you grow claws or look extra spooky), so YMMV.

Right. I was thinking of Vengeance Paladin's capstone, in which you become an Avenging Angel. Most of the paladin capstones go that route.

Though thinking about it, I'm surprised there isn't a Warlock feature to assume some sort of demonic form. There's The Undead patron's Form of Dread, wherein you become . . . undeadish, I guess? Not really the same thing, though.

KorvinStarmast
2022-08-18, 09:01 AM
An outlier: reincarnation. If the PC dies, and the reincarnation spell is cast upon them, they come back in the new form. :smallsmile:

Oramac
2022-08-18, 10:40 AM
Some of these might not be what you are looking for.

snip

snip

All good! I'm more looking for things that completely transform you, instead of the "you take on aspects of" kind of thing. But even so those features give a lot of good info/ideas.

Though thinking about it, I'm surprised there isn't a Warlock feature to assume some sort of demonic form. There's The Undead patron's Form of Dread, wherein you become . . . undeadish, I guess? Not really the same thing, though.

Interestingly, this is why I'm asking. Though I'm writing the Demonic Transformation as part of a whole new class for my homebrew world instead of a warlock thing, but I don't see why that wouldn't work either.