PDA

View Full Version : The future of my Wild Magic Barb

CTurbo
2022-08-17, 03:44 PM
I've been playing a Goliath Wild Magic Barb in a campaign with my daughters and nephew and we're currently at level 4.
Level 5 will be Barb 5 for obvious reasons.
Level 6 will be Wild Magic Sorcerer 1.
Level 7 will be Barb 6. I like this feature a lot and DM says I can use d4s instead of d3s which makes it even better.

At this point, my character concept will fully be "online" and I really don't know where to go from there. More Barb levels is kinda boring, and I don't really see taking any more Sorcerer levels either as I don't see this guy ever being a legit spellcaster. Since this is a family campaign and we're all enjoying it so far, I can see us playing on and off for years so there's no telling how high we'll level, but surely we'll make it a ways past level 7.

The rest of the party consists of-
Red Dragonborn Battlemaster Fighter
Half-Elf Lore Bard with Inspiring Leader
Half-Elf Gold Draconic Sorcerer that went all in on fire spells.
Human Tempest Cleric that's re-tooled for cold damage. ***this character is not always present.

My guy is a Goliath with the Outlander background. 20 Str, 14 Dex, 18 Con, 6 Int, 14 Wis, 14 Cha and took Tavern Brawler at 4.

He's big, strong, DUMB, but goofy and loveable. He LOVES magic and animals especially cats. I don't use weapons with him and usually punch, kick, and grapple in combats. I purposefully don't want to be the DPR king of the group so I'm fine with 1d4+Str attacks for now. I don't really intend on using traditional weapons. He likes using improvised weapons though like chairs, rocks, dead enemies etc... lol

I'm taking the single level of Wild Sorcerer for more wild magic wackiness. He loves magic and I wanted him to have SOME kind of innate magical ability. I do NOT ever see him as a competent caster though.
The 2 spells I'll probably take are
1. Chaos Bolt which is fitting although I'm not sure how he'll cast it. Maybe anytime there is an enemy out of melee reach and a slot is available?
2. Absorb Elements. DM says this will auto-trigger anytime I get hit with elemental damage as long as I have a spell slot available so it's not going to be something I can control.

Cantrips-
1. Light. This is the only spell I want him to be able to cast on purpose(at least for a while) and he's going to cast it all the time lol
2. Message. Seems fun and appropriate. Likely the second spell he learns to use on competently.
3. Mending maybe? I can see the big goofy guy trying to fix things he breaks on accident.
4. Not sure here. I'm torn between Minor Illusion and a damaging cantrip. Lightning Lure maybe? I don't want him to be good at it though.

DM has approved that the two 1st level spells listed above can be cast while raging, but not the cantrips. At level 6, my unarmed strikes will count as magical for overcoming resistance since I'm not using weapons. Tides of Chaos will auto-trigger when applicable and the Wild Surge table will likely be used at every possible chance. I figured by level 6, an accidental fireball won't TPK the party especially with 2 of the characters having resistance to fire damage. The Bard is really only character at risk, but she gets Dex saves at least.

So yeah as always I've been thinking about the future of this character, and I need a new concept to build on from here. Looking for some good ideas. I'm not really concerned with being the most optimized as long my character doesn't fall too far behind the group in power.

Right now he has a Ring of Protection that I plan to give to the Bard and he has a magic stick(Wand of Magic Missiles) that he's going to love when he figures out what it does lol.

CTurbo
2022-08-17, 03:44 PM
Ok so options for the future of this character.

1. More Barb levels seems boring, but Barb 7 is not bad at all and Barb 8 gets me an extra feat which I could use to take Fighting Initiative for Unarmed Fighting style. It would be a decent boost in damage if I start to feel like I'm lagging. I'd like Sentinel at some point since I'm by far the tankiest character. Barb 9 gets me +1 Rage bonus damage and the totally useless Brutal Critical. I'm not impressed with the Barb 10 subclass feature, but it's not the worst. Barb 11 is a decent feature.

2. More Sorcerer levels. Unless I change my mind over the course of the next few levels, I can't see this guy being a competent spell caster. I have a hard time seeing more Sorc levels for him, but Sorc 2 gets me 1 more spell know and twice the spell slots which means twice the Wild Surge table shenanigans. Sorc 3 gets me Metamagic which it could be fun to accidently cast spells quietly via Subtle Spell. I would like for him to be able to accidently cast Comprehend Languages considering he can barely even speak Common well with his 6 Int. I'd have a hard time choosing more spells after that. Jump Maybe? Expeditious Retreat? Witch Bolt is pretty terrible, but I could see it being viable on this build considering the amount of grappling he does. Auto d12 damage is much much less than punching twice. I can MAYBE see a couple more Sorc levels in the far out future maybe.

3. I've actually seriously considered jumping over the Ranger for minimum of 5 levels for Beastmaster to have a Panther companion. I could use the UA Revised Ranger which is pretty good and very frontloaded. This would also keep me busy for a while since it's take 5 levels to come online. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of him having a kitty friend to fight with. I could grab the Unarmed Fighting Style, and load up on all the Animal related spells like Animal Friendship, Beast Bond, Speak With Animals, Beast Sense, and Animal Messenger. I'm sure the DM would let the Panther scale with character level instead of just Ranger level. We'd be at what... level 12 by then? That could be some years away.

4. I've also considered Moon Druid 2 and instead of having an animal companion, just turning into a Tiger. I could get some of those animal spells this character would love too. This comes online much faster and since he doesn't carry weapons or armor, it would be easy. I'm concerned about a level 9 character turning into a basic Tiger though which would be considerably worse than my normal form. I'd hate to go from 20 Str, 14 Dex, 18 Con to 17 Str, 15 Dex, 14 Con. Would it be reasonable to allow him to keep his physical stats while wildshaped? Or possibly being able to add some hit dice to the base Tiger stats? The Tiger has 37hp and at level 9, My Barb would have about twice that. I don't want a boost that'll make me overpowered but I don't want to sacrifice 50% of my power just for flavor.

5. Rogue 1 gets me Expertise in Athletics to even further help grappling and a new skill. Rogue 2 gets me bonus action dashing which could be fun on this character. None of the Rogue subclasses seem that great with this character though. Sneak Attack is wasted.

6. Fighter 2 gets me Unarmed Fighting and Action Surge?

7. Some Warlock levels for Chain pact improved familiar? Maybe even an improved kitty familiar?