PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Uses For A Holy/Unholy Symbol

Thurbane
2022-08-17, 06:53 PM
So, odd question: what mechanical uses does an (un)holy symbol have in-game?

It's usually the divine focus for Clerics and some other divine casters.

I believe it's required to be able to turn or rebuke undead.

And Vampires heave a special interaction with a "strongly presented holy symbol".

Are there other mechanical in-game uses for (un) holy symbols?

Cheers, T.

Saintheart
2022-08-17, 07:28 PM
Not really a use, but you can summon one if you don't have one handy: Summon Holy Symbol, Cleric 0, Paladin 1, CChamp.

tiercel
2022-08-18, 03:05 AM
I believe it's required to be able to turn or rebuke undead.

Out of an abundance of paranoia, I checked this and confirmed (PHB p.159, “ You must present your holy symbol to turn undead.”, also SRD (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#turnOrRebukeUndead)).

Are there other mechanical in-game uses for (un) holy symbols?

There are the special holy symbols in Complete Champion (pp.133-135), given for the standard PHB deities, with examples and examples for domain-based symbols as well. Mostly they tend along the lines of “increase your caster level for <type X> spells by 1” for 350gp.

MIC has the Reliquary Holy Symbol (1000gp) which grants extra turn attempts based on how many prereqs the bearer meets.

PlH has True Holy/Unholy Symbols for +2 to turning checks.

All of these are just holy symbols that grant a bonus rather than specifically new actions per se, though.

MIC also has the Symbol of Transfiguration which acts as a holy symbol and grants uses of purify food and drink and limited align weapon. Also the relic Censer of the Last Breath mentions inscribed holy symbol, so arguably it might serve as a (un)holy symbol in addition to its relic powers; see also other relics (Axe of Ancestral Virtue, others less likely to be held/worn in combat otherwise); the Belt of Priestly Might is based around a holy symbol which determines access to its powers; the relic Shard of the Sun is specifically called a holy symbol which has specific relic powers; the ectoplasmic feedback armor property describes good-aligned holy symbols, so might be usable as a symbol in addition to its own effect.

Pezzo
2022-08-18, 08:14 AM
If it is made of a special material you could throw it as an improvised weapon to bypass DR, your deity might not approve, but you could always use someone else's holy symbol.

Telonius
2022-08-18, 08:37 AM
You'd probably need one (or at least a cheap copy of one) if you were going to disguise yourself as a Cleric.

Vaern
2022-08-18, 08:53 AM
iirc, deities are capable of perceiving anything within a fairly large radius of one of their holy symbols.

RexDart
2022-08-18, 12:14 PM
Third Party, but the 3.0-era book "Path of Faith" has a bunch of additional rules for different types of holy symbols. Some are just regular holy symbols, but in different forms that can potentially be integrated into a weapon or armor (leather, metal, wood), or even oneself (tattoo).

There are also rules for "Greater" and "Legendary" holy symbols, which provide extra spell slots and domain-based spell-like abilities.

ViperMagnum357
2022-08-18, 12:33 PM
Mournlode from Magic of Eberron can be used for a holy symbol with an extra effect: any affected undead takes typeless damage equal to your turning level. Not much on its own, but it works rather well with the Destruction of Undead turning variant from Complete Divine.

Buufreak
2022-08-18, 12:53 PM
I would assume based on the visage present on various holy symbols they could be used as bottle openers.

Palanan
2022-08-18, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Vaern
iirc, deities are capable of perceiving anything within a fairly large radius of one of their holy symbols.

Do you have a citation for this?

Telonius
2022-08-18, 01:59 PM
I would assume based on the visage present on various holy symbols they could be used as bottle openers.

Headcanon: any bottle opener can be used as an alternate Holy Symbol of Olidammara.

tiercel
2022-08-19, 12:25 AM
Do you have a citation for this?

Hmmm, potentially arguable that a holy symbol might qualify under the following (emphasis added):

Remote Sensing:As a standard action, a deity of rank 1 or higher can perceive everything within a radius of one mile per rank around any of its worshipers, holy sites, or other objects or locales sacred to the deity. This supernatural effect can also be centered on any place where someone speaks the deity’s name or title for up to 1 hour after the name is spoken, and at any location when an event related to the deity’s portfolio occurs

Granted that a cleric of a deity would count as a worshiper, but a holy symbol might serve as a deific surveillance bug, independent of a cleric/other worshiper? (If not a holy symbol per se, something sufficiently “sacred to the deity,” possibly an upgunned holy symbol such as a Reliquary from above (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25553110&postcount=3).)

Dalmosh
2022-08-19, 08:44 AM
According to the PHB, a silver Holy Symbol "serves as a mark of status for the wielder"

Perhaps even more significantly...
If you can convince someone its a decorative pendant, rather than a mere clergyman's "tool", then its an art object, and trades at its full buying value. If you're poor enough to be operating in a silver econony (like most low-level NPCs), then SHAZAAM! It's a whole 5 x lighter than its equivalent weight in coins! Step 3 - Profit!

Cygnia
2022-08-19, 08:47 AM
As a bookmark? :smalltongue:

Saintheart
2022-08-19, 10:50 PM
As a bookmark? :smalltongue:

As a paperweight? :smalltongue: :smalltongue:

ShurikVch
2022-08-20, 05:35 PM
Dragonfire Channeling feat allow to make 15' cone of fire(/acid/cold/electricity/sonic - depending on Draconic Heritage) with your Holy/Unholy Symbol

It's 3rd-party, but DM Graphic Cyclopedia (Dreaming Merchant Press) includes Vile Zombie - this Undead is headless, but have the "Sense living and magic" SQ. Instead of its head is a large iron Unholy Symbol. Unfortunately, this entry wasn't written very well: aforementioned SQ wasn't elaborated (such things as range etc), and the monster itself listed as having "Hit Dice: 3d8+4 (17 hp)" - despite being Undead with "Con -"!..

Jack_Simth
2022-08-20, 05:44 PM
Dragonfire Channeling feat allow to make 15' cone of fire(/acid/cold/electricity/sonic - depending on Draconic Heritage) with your Holy/Unholy Symbol

It's 3rd-party, but DM Graphic Cyclopedia (Dreaming Merchant Press) includes Vile Zombie - this Undead is headless, but have the "Sense living and magic" SQ. Instead of its head is a large iron Unholy Symbol. Unfortunately, this entry wasn't written very well: aforementioned SQ wasn't elaborated (such things as range etc), and the monster itself listed as having "Hit Dice: 3d8+4 (17 hp)" - despite being Undead with "Con -"!..

Might the book be intended for Pathfinder? Undead have a d8 hit die, and get bonus hp from Charisma, in Pathfinder. Still questionable, mind, as the +x at the end isn't a multiple of the hd.

ShurikVch
2022-08-20, 06:28 PM
Might the book be intended for Pathfinder?
In 2001?

Requires the use of the Dungeons & Dragons PlayerÂ’s Handbook, Third Edition, published by Wizards of the Coast

Undead have a d8 hit die, and get bonus hp from Charisma, in Pathfinder.
But Vile Zombie have Cha 1
The only of its ability modifiers above +0 is Str (it have Str 15)

Still questionable, mind, as the +x at the end isn't a multiple of the hd.
That's one of the kinda common errors - WotC did it too: say, for the Frenzy Dog (https://web.archive.org/web/20160816051535/http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20011025a) template:

Hit Dice: All frenzy dogs have 5d10+10 HD.
"5d10+10" HD should mean Frenzy Dog can be up to 60 HD (and no less than 15) - but regardless of HD number its just +3 CR. How about the Velociraptor which is 60 HD Magical Beast with +6 natural AC, single 1d8 bite attack, Improved Rage (10/day, -2 AC, +4 on Str/Con/saves vs Enchantment), Neck Spikes, Trip, Alertness and Improved Initiative bonus feats, +7 Str/-2 Dex/+2 Int/+8 Cha - and all this only at CR 5?

Kol Korran
2022-08-20, 10:48 PM
Well, not an actually official use, but... A long time ago, a few years after 3.5 was published, I DMed for a party investigating a series of strange murders, thefts & disappearances in a small city. The players, through some luck and good deductive skills, managed to find the culprits' sewage lair, far earlier than I intended... I also intended them to find clues to the... nature of the culprits, and prepare accordingly, but they managed to smart their way into finding the lair, without the other clues, and so... They barged into the lair of the bandits led by... A trio of were-rats, without any magic or silvered weapons.

That was... A complicated, desperate, and at some points highly improvisational and oddly comical fight. At the end of it one of the were rats fled, and two others were pinned down (one by a a player, another under a fallen bookshelf and cauldron on top).

"You can't harm me!" Snarled a were rat. "Our friend will escape, and non of your weapons can harm me!". While not strictly true, the players believed him. But... The cleric believed in a homebrew god, dedicated to the eradication of evil, abomination and the like, and it's holy symbol was in the shape of a seven pointed star. Emphasis on "pointed"... And the holy symbol was a silver one, because the cleric was posh.

The cleric kneeled down, taking his holy symbol in hand, showed the suddenly very apprehensive were rat the pointed star, and said "I don't need any weapons. My faith and god grant me solutions. Now, I'll better get some answers. My faith may offer repentance and salvation, but you'll have to persuade me you are worth the effort..." (Slight stab with the silvered symbol).

He was... A disturbing priest at times...

They all got extra XP for the inginuity, of the fight, and the improvised use of holy regalia.