PDA

View Full Version : Character Origin

ChaosStar
2022-08-17, 10:03 PM
So, was rewatching a group do Dungeon of the Mad Mage and I had a question. Has anyone of you made a character that was born and grew up in Skullport? What was your backstory like? How did it affect your character? Is Skullport even considered a viable origin for a character?

Tawmis
2022-08-17, 11:29 PM
So, was rewatching a group do Dungeon of the Mad Mage and I had a question. Has anyone of you made a character that was born and grew up in Skullport? What was your backstory like? How did it affect your character? Is Skullport even considered a viable origin for a character?

I've never made a character based out of Skullport (most of the games I am in are homebrew and not based on FR, and the game I run is homebrew as well).
That said, I did some reading up on Skullport (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Skullport) and could easily see characters originating from there.

The obvious ones - Rogues, who are aware and operate out of there. Perhaps a member of a guild that's operating down there - or trying to get into one.
Fighters/Paladins who took up a mercenary type background could be body guards or bouncers for some of the establishments there.
Considering the seedy nature of the area, barbarians could be there as mercenaries as well.
Bards might be hired (or forced) to entertain various establishments with songs and stories (probably praising the establishment owner, even some fabricated).
Darker aligned Clerics/Paladins could be operating out of the area, being the healers for various establishments.
Darker sided Druids could be the folks who help provide food (fruits and vegetables) which might be otherwise difficult to grow in the area.
Rangers could be employed to scout the area and be look outs and report any suspicious activity.
Sorcerer, Wizard and Warlock all sort of have ties there, with the mention of mages (Warlocks could have even made their pact there, as a part of some guild).