PDA

View Full Version : Does warforged make a solid monk with flexible ability scores?

Spacehamster
2022-08-18, 07:02 AM
With +2 DEX +1 CON you would start with 17 DEX right off the bat and eliminate or at least lessen the quite squishy start AC of the monk. Same as tortle monk but Tortle monks AC won’t improve over levels.

So my questions is:

1: Is this strong or just decent?
2: which race do you think is the best for monks if you take into account flexible ability scores from Tasha’s cauldron?

stoutstien
2022-08-18, 07:05 AM
It's solid in general. Monks love AC boosts thanks to cheap dodging and decent saves.

Best race is going to depend on subclass. Like a bugbear kensei, Shadar-kai mercy monk, or the inverse combo are all great but better isn't something you can determine without setting a goal.

Monks are interesting in that past ASI allotments they don't need anything from a race to function so with floating scores you can have a lot of fun. I'm partial to deep gnome but I have a soft spot for non detection as I'm a paranoid forever DM.

Spacehamster
2022-08-18, 07:21 AM
It's solid in general. Monks love AC boosts thanks to cheap dodging and decent saves.

Best race is going to depend on subclass. Like a bugbear kensei, Shadar-kai mercy monk, or the inverse combo are all great but better isn't something you can determine without setting a goal.

Monks are interesting in that past ASI allotments they don't need anything from a race to function so with floating scores you can have a lot of fun. I'm partial to deep gnome but I have a soft spot for non detection as I'm a paranoid forever DM.

Also thinking mountain dorf is quite solid with either option of getting 18 DEX 18 WIS at 4 or take a half feat for both ability scores at 4 & 8.

Mastikator
2022-08-18, 07:35 AM
The poison and disease resistance from warforged is a waste of a race feature on monk. Not a huge deal, WF is good on everything

Joe the Rat
2022-08-18, 10:35 AM
The best? Probably not.

But it does do well. One of my players had a (quite memorable) Warforged Drunken Master, who was probably the core of that party's functionality.