PDA

View Full Version : Help me break this homebrewed moon druid

Nerdguy88
2022-08-18, 08:46 AM
So my dm loves homebrewing things which usually means taking the base class, removing restrictions, and giving tons of bonuses. We are doing a one shot and I am playing a 6th level moon druid with the following changes. Let me know how crazy broken this is and how I can do shenanigans.

------

The changes

Wildshape:
- Gain 1 use per Druid level
- forms consume uses equal to the form’s CR rating.
- lasts 1 hour per Druid level
- you now have the shapeshifter tag with your true form being your humanoid form before you became a Druid
- no restrictions on forms with flight/swimming speeds.

Note that you don’t get the “consume a spell slot and heal X HP” in the book, but if you have Cure Wounds prepared through your Druid class, you could cast that if your form is capable of doing so, which opens you up to being counterspelled and unable to do so in anti-magic fields.

—————————
CIRCLE SPELLS
—————————

At the 2nd level, the rites of this circle grants you spells to bolster your melee prowess. Any that are not normally a Druid spell are considered a Druid spell through this feature. These spells are permanently prepared and do not count against your daily maximum number of prepared spells. Your circle has taught you how to cast Druid spells while Wildshaped, but follow the spellcasting rules within your 18th level class feature Beast Spells.

Druid 1 - Ensnaring Strike*, Longstrider (8 hour duration)

Druid 3 - Barkskin*, Misty Step

Druid 5 - Haste*, Thunder Step

Druid 7 - Polymorph*, Freedom of Movement

Druid 9 - Skill Empowerment*, Hold Monster*

* concentration spell

—————————
COMBAT WILDSHAPE
—————————

At the 2nd level, your circle better trains you in the practice of fighting with your Wildshape forms as well as being able to remain Wildshaped longer than any other Circle.

Wildshape can now be used as a bonus action, and it may also be used as a reaction when your form is reduced to 0 HP or you need the physical ability of another form (I.e.: you are pushed off a cliff as a wolf and use your reaction to wildshape into a raven to avoid falling, or assuming a Fire Elemental form at the 10th level when falling into a lava bed to avoid fire damage). You cannot use this reaction to change forms simply to use a more damaging attack.

You may also use a bonus action on your turn to take the Dash action. Or, you may instead use it to make a special melee attack against a creature no larger than 1 size category above your current form where you and the targeted creature contest Strength (Athletics) checks. If you win the contest, you shove the targeted creature back 5ft, knock it prone, or grapple it. This can be done as part of the same bonus action when entering a Wildshape form.

Wildshape now lasts indefinitely unless you die or choose to revert to your true form, meaning you may sleep, be knocked unconscious, and complete long or short rests while wildshaped without reverting to your true form.

Wildshape forms of CR 0 no longer cost a Wildshape use. They may freely be used at will.

Ionathus
2022-08-18, 09:33 AM
Let me know how crazy broken this is

Incredibly broken.

1 use per level is insane - regular druid forms cap out at 1 CR, so getting 6 uses at 6th level is already 3x the staying power. Being able to go straight to Mammoth at level 6 is also crazy. These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Being able to switch to a new form immediately upon losing your current form is a huge utility boost and, if you pick the right forms, nearly guarantees you a 150ish pool of bonus HP before you even begin to take overflow damage to your true HP.
By RAW, circle spells are an exclusive feature of Land druids. Giving them to Moon Druids too is already a crazy power spike: including Haste is a huge spike on top of that.
There's a lot of smaller utility and action economy bonuses in here: Dash as a bonus action, Shove/Grapple as a bonus action but also included for free when you enter your wild shape??

Looking at this list, I can't name any insane combos at first glance. Much like I wouldn't be able to name any insanely broken combos if your DM let you use 18, 18, 18, 16, 16, 16 as your stat array. You're just going to be...better. At everything. If the rest of the table hasn't also gotten these massive buffs to their abilities, you're going to easily outshine them. The power spike on this is huge. Have fun :smallcool:

Nerdguy88
2022-08-18, 09:40 AM
I agree it's very very powerful I tried to talk him out of this but he feels druid isn't strong enough for some reason. Thanks for the replys!reply!

The cr is still limited by level but pretty much all other restrictions are gone

Dualight
2022-08-18, 11:23 AM
By RAW, circle spells are an exclusive feature of Land druids. Giving them to Moon Druids too is already a crazy power spike: including Haste is a huge spike on top of that.

Slight note: this only applies to the PHB, once you consider the subclasses introduced in other books, Moon druids are ther odd ones out, being hte only druid subclass not to have a version of the Circle Spells feature. The rest of your point stands, and I agree, this is a ridiculous buff to what is already the druid with the most survivability, but Circle Spells re by no means exclusive to Circle of the Land druids.

Bobthewizard
2022-08-18, 11:45 AM
So, yes, it is OP (overpowered). I think the OP (original poster) knows that.

As far as tactics, since the form takes one use per CR, and you can switch freely once it drops to 0 HP, I'd probably stick to the CR1 giant octopus. For 6 uses, that gives you a 312HP pool. You're slow and your damage is lower than a mammoth, but you get to auto grapple huge or smaller creatures on a hit. And you likely have some uses to spare if you need more mobility.

If you can get them, a barrier tattoo would increase the octopus' AC, and an amulet of health would increase its HP from 52 to 76 each.

Nerdguy88
2022-08-18, 12:42 PM
So, yes, it is OP (overpowered). I think the OP (original poster) knows that.

Oh I very much know it's op. My friend keeps making homebrew like this and I tell him it's to strong and he won't beleive me. According to him druid isn't very strong and their power falls off hard as they level.

I like the barrier tattoo idea. We do get to start with a few magic items so that will be one of them.

Mastikator
2022-08-19, 04:04 AM
Being able to turn into a giant eagle at level 2 is pretty busted, you can't even get shot out of the sky since you can just reaction yourself into a giant eagle again.

Ionathus
2022-08-19, 09:19 AM
Yeah this is an incredibly strong buff, as the others have said. But if your DM loves buffing stuff like this and everyone at the table is having fun, then that's what matters! Just be aware of whether any other PCs have gotten this kind of treatment: as I said before, if anyone is still playing a vanilla class you are very likely to outshine them to such a degree that it becomes obvious or even unfun for them.

Slight note: this only applies to the PHB, once you consider the subclasses introduced in other books, Moon druids are ther odd ones out, being hte only druid subclass not to have a version of the Circle Spells feature. The rest of your point stands, and I agree, this is a ridiculous buff to what is already the druid with the most survivability, but Circle Spells re by no means exclusive to Circle of the Land druids.

I don't have Tasha's so you may be right: but was there some change to the Dreams and Shepherd circles? I can't find any circle spells for them either. Nor can I for circle of Stars: the only ones that seem to get extra spells prepared are Land, Spores, and Wildfire, right?

animorte
2022-08-19, 11:16 AM
According to him druid isn't very strong and their power falls off hard as they level.

I’m curious to know what this is in comparison to…?

JNAProductions
2022-08-19, 11:27 AM
Yeah this is an incredibly strong buff, as the others have said. But if your DM loves buffing stuff like this and everyone at the table is having fun, then that's what matters! Just be aware of whether any other PCs have gotten this kind of treatment: as I said before, if anyone is still playing a vanilla class you are very likely to outshine them to such a degree that it becomes obvious or even unfun for them.

This. Yes, amongst normal classes, this upgrade would easily be bonkers.

But if everyone at the table is similarly OP, and the challenges are still fun... It's ultimately irrelevant how OP it is relative to another table.

I would NOT post this homebrew as "Here's something balanced to plug in at any table!" but as a "Everyone is super!" homebrew, it does its job.

Dualight
2022-08-20, 07:09 AM
I don't have Tasha's so you may be right: but was there some change to the Dreams and Shepherd circles? I can't find any circle spells for them either. Nor can I for circle of Stars: the only ones that seem to get extra spells prepared are Land, Spores, and Wildfire, right?

Sorry, I misremembered. I have a bad habit of neglecting to double-check things I think I know. The point that Circle Spells is not unique to Land druids stands, but I was wrong in thinking that Moon druids are the only ones without.
Thanks for pointing out where I made a mistake. I do not want to spread misinformation if I can help it.