PDA

View Full Version : Spell Learning systems

Templar_ZoRcH
2007-11-29, 04:50 AM
Greetings all.
I'm a DM currently trying to devolop a system for d&d that would allow previously non-spellcasting classes to learn a limited amount of magic (preferrably of the players' choice) whether it be through feats, skills, templates etc. and so far no published material is cutting it for me. I would love input on anyone would have.-Templar_ZoRcH

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-29, 05:26 AM
A system I have been working on, modified from Slain:

Step 1: Use Magic Ratings from UA (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/magicRating.htm)

Step 2:
Every 3 ranks in spellcraft gives you one spell/day, in addition to what is granted from your class. These spells can only be used to cast spells obtained through Sorcerer's Boon, Gift of Faith, or Nature's Blessing.

*For sorcerer's boon; gift of faith uses knowledge religion, and nature's blessing uses knowledge nature.

Step 3: (feats)
Sorcerer's Boon:
You know two arcane spells, chosen from the sorcerer/wizard or bard list. The maximum spell level is equal to your 1/2 your effective caster level. You may choose if your casting from this feat is intelligence or charisma based.

Gift of Faith:
You know two divine spells, chosen from the cleric or paladin list. The maximum spell level is equal to your 1/2 your effective caster level. You may choose if your casting from this feat is wisdom or charisma based.

Nature's Blessing:
You know two divine spells, chosen from the druid or ranger list. The maximum spell level is equal to your 1/2 your effective caster level. You may choose if your casting from this feat is wisdom or charisma based.

Xuincherguixe
2007-11-29, 07:12 AM
I like that! Mind if I use it in my own campaign setting?

Templar_ZoRcH
2007-11-29, 03:39 PM
Ya that kind of looks like what i'm going for. i devoloped a similar prototype in my own research. i think i would tweak it a bit before i used it though. thanks for replying. later when i have more time i'll post the feat based system i devolped and i would like any critique positive or negative.-Templar_ZoRcH

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-30, 03:59 AM
You're welcome. My current version can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65008), along with some other stuff I am working on for my single-class d20 system, Enter the Hero.

Templar_ZoRcH
2007-11-30, 01:50 PM
Very nice, that's quite a challenge condensing a d20 rpg into a single class system. i know i couldn't do it. Anyway here's what devolped origanlly as an alternative spell learing system. opinions positive or negative are welcome.

Acrane magic:

Acrane Initiate [General]
You learned the basics of arcane spellcasting.

Prerequisites: Knowledge (Arcana) 3 ranks, Spellcraft 3 ranks, INT 12, Must have been taught by a wizard of 3'rd level or higher.
Benefit: Choose 3 arcane domains (See Unearthed Arcana Pg.57). You learn the 0-level spells of these domains as arcane spells and gain spell slots equal to your INT mod to prepare and cast from them. Your caster level is equal to your HD, with spell saves equal to 10+ your INT mod. + the spell's level.
Special: in addition to the prerequisites to this feat, the DM should require an expenditure of time and/or money on the character's part in order to learn magic.

Arcane Student [General]
Your knowledge of arcane magic has grown stronger.

Prerequisites: Arcane Initiate, Knowledge (Arcana) 5 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks.
Benefit: In addition to the spells granted from the Arcane Initiate feat, add the 1'st level spells from the arcane domains you selected to your spells known. You gain spell slots equal to your INT modifier to cast spells of this level granted by this feat.

Greater Arcane Student [General]
Your arcane power continues to grow.

Prerequisites: Arcane Student, Knowledge (Arcana) 7 ranks , Spellcraft 7 ranks.
Benefit: In addition to the spells granted by the Arcane Initiate and Arcane Student feats, add the 2'nd level spells from the arcane domains you selected to your spells known. You gain spell slots equal to your INT modifier to cast spells of this level granted by this feat.

Divine magic:

Acolyte [General]
Your patron deity has granted you some divine power.

Prerequisites: Must have a patron deity. Knowledge (Religion) 3 ranks, Spellcraft 3 ranks, WIS 12, Must have been taught by a cleric of 3'rd level or higher of the character's patron deity.
Benefit: Choose 3 0-level Cleric spells. You learn these spells as divine spells and gain a number of spell slots equal to your WIS Modifier to prepare and cast from them. Your caster level is equal to your HD, with spell saves equal to 10+ your WIS mod. + the spell's level.
Special: in addition to the prerequisites to this feat, the DM should require an expenditure of time and/or money on the character's part in order to learn magic.

Disciple [General]
The conitinued favor of your deity has increased you spellcasting prowess.

Prerequisites: Acolyte, Knowledge (Religion) 5 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks.
Benefit: Choose 3 cleric domains granted by your deity. In addition to the spells granted by the Acolyte feat, add the 1'st level spells of the domains you selected to your list of spells known. You gain spell slots equal to your WIS modifier to cast spells of this level granted by this feat.

Devout Disciple [General]
Your faith in your deity further increases you spell knowledge.

Prerequsites: Disciple, Knowledge (Religion) 7 ranks, Spellcraft 7 ranks.
Benefit: In addition to the spells granted by the Acolyte and Disciple feats, add the 2'nd level spells of the cleric domains you selected to your list of spells known. You gain spell slots equal to your WIS modifier to cast spells of this level granted by this feat.