PDA

View Full Version : Battle Jumper Build

Rowanomicon
2007-11-29, 05:21 AM
OK I couldn't help but love the feat when I took it.

Now Iim interested in seeing what kinds of super awesome stuff you can do with it.

A high strength character or precision damage would be nice to take advantage of the doubled damage on contact.

High strength also boost the jump skill.

Potions of Jump rock the house.

High speed allows massive jumpage. Monks (or a Monish PrC) allow for this. So do Barbarians as well as larger, faster creatures.

Large creatures also get a boost for grappling.

Grappling is also an important part of this build as Battle Jumper allows you a free grapple check to pin the opponent when you hit them (after you roll your attack).

So basically the three main points needed are:

1) Distance: High Jump check bonus; High Speed

2) Melee Damage: Attack as you get to the opponent for double damage

3) Grapple bonus: Pin opponents when you land on them.

RTGoodman
2007-11-29, 12:12 PM
Well, the first thing you'll want is a two-handed weapon and to take Power Attack and Leap Attack (and maybe Shock Trooper), since those are the staple of high damage-dealing builds.

For some cheese, you could grab a level of Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian from Complete Champion, which will lose Fast Movement (I think) but gains Pounce (i.e., can make a full attack at the end of the charge). I don't know about this Battle Jumper, but if it uses a Charge, then that would work well. Levels of Monk give you the high speed, but the low BAB hurts you in a melee build.

Also, you might want to check out [Scrubbed Link - Please don't link there. If it's OGL or in the SRD, please link to the SRD. Otherwise, just tell the person where to find it.] Leap of the Heavens[/URL], a feat from Player's Handbook II. It'll let you do standing Jumps as regular jumps (that is, without doubling the DC), and gives you a bonus if you do run first.

EDIT: Didn't read the part about grappling, originally. I personally wouldn't worry about it and would just go for massive damage instead, but if you want to grapple you might want to take a look at the Goliath race from Races of Stone. They have Powerful Build, which lets them count as Large for certain specific abilities (such as Grapple).

Rowanomicon
2007-11-29, 04:55 PM
Yeah Goliath or Half-Giant would be good for the Grapple bonus.
The nice thing about battle jumper is that if you succeed the free grapple attempt they are automatically pinned.

Leap of the Heavens is sweet. It's like the Ninja's ability, but better.

THF, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper would be good.

Dodge, mobility, Spring Attack might be worth it to jump in then get out.

Pounce would be really nice if Battle Jumper counts as a Charge, I'll do some checking.
I would, however, like to stay out of the realm of blatant cheese. I do want this to be a very effective build, but cheese is just, well, cheesy.

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-29, 05:58 PM
Check out the FF Dragoon build on the wizard CO boards; it combines Up the Walls, insane jumping ability, Leap Attack, and Battle Jump to excellent effect. By level 20, the scout12/psywar2/blade dancer6 can move at 110 feet per round (including up walls), jump about 80 feet horizontally and 30 feet straight up from a standing start. He can't pounce, but he gets damage and Power Attack multipliers like a god.

Dode
2007-11-29, 09:07 PM
Having a battle jumper myself at one point (Duskblade/Monk/Dragon Disciple), this is what I did:

Cast Jump on himself before battle for a +10 bonus
Cast Swift Expeditious Retreat for a +12 movement bonus.
Max, boosted strength and maxed Jump skill for another +17 bonus

So at level 9 I could reliably gain a 5 foot vertical advantage on a medium sized foe several times a day.

Then, after the MIC came out, I noticed the Boots of Swift Passage that let you teleport 20 ft. in any direction (including 5' above a foe) 5/day as a move action. And then I was sad at all the wasted effort.

In short, get the boots.

brian c
2007-11-29, 09:46 PM
Having a battle jumper myself at one point (Duskblade/Monk/Dragon Disciple), this is what I did:

Cast Jump on himself before battle for a +10 bonus
Cast Swift Expeditious Retreat for a +12 movement bonus.

Fyi, Expeditous Retreat and the Monk speed increase are both enhancement bonuses, so they don't stack.

Dode
2007-11-29, 09:49 PM
If I stacked them, that would have been a +16 bonus.

brian c
2007-11-29, 10:53 PM
If I stacked them, that would have been a +16 bonus.

Well, you didn't say how many monk levels you had, so I didn't know if you were stacking them or not. Just putting that out there.

triforcel
2007-11-29, 11:01 PM
Out of curiosity, where is Battle Jumper from?

Dode
2007-11-29, 11:05 PM
Battle Jump is from Unapproachable East

Cuddly
2007-11-29, 11:16 PM
Ring of Jumping.