PDA

View Full Version : What about Lucifer?

Mr White
2007-11-29, 07:34 AM
I'm thinking of acquiring the Vertigo series 'Lucifer'. What are your opinions on the comic story- and artwise?

Thanks in advance.

psycojester
2007-11-29, 08:48 AM
Awesome on both counts.

Next question.

Kaelaroth
2007-11-29, 11:31 AM
They sound cool.

Revlid
2007-11-29, 03:44 PM
Did you enjoy Sandman?

If so, get it.

If not, you don't deserve to live, and the question is moot.

Mr White
2007-11-30, 08:24 AM
Yes, I very much enjoyed Sandman. The problem is that Sandman gave me some high expectations about Lucifer.

Revlid
2007-11-30, 12:03 PM
Yes, I very much enjoyed Sandman. The problem is that Sandman gave me some high expectations about Lucifer.

Which will be fulfilled, I assure you.

Selrahc
2007-11-30, 01:49 PM
Lucifer is good. But its most definitely not Sandman.

The way Lucifer aproaches problems is totally different. The main protagonist is a much bigger cheese, who can and does use his awe inspiring power against enemies with some regularity.

In Sandman, Dream never got into fights. He was never really a person with a grand plan he hoped to accomplish. He wasn't very confrontational.

The series as a whole is also a lot less surreal. A lot more focused. Which is both a plus and a minus. They deal with different themes. Of course they do still share the same universe, and Lucifer still has the interaction with mythical figures(With a lot more focus on heaven and hell).

So yeah, a cool series. But the protagonist is vastly different than Dream, and the storytelling is quite different from Gaiman. If you come into it expecting a new Sandman story by differnet means, you might be disapointed. If you want a good comic, then Lucifer will more than suffice.

Dhavaer
2007-12-02, 01:28 AM
I agree that Lucifer, both comic and character, are very, very awesome.

Mr White
2007-12-04, 01:58 AM
I'm not expecting a second sandman, only a comic of similar quality.

I don't care if the character(s) is/are awesome as long as the story can rival a good book.

psycojester
2007-12-04, 06:24 AM
Its a very well written book. Quite a lot of this stems from the fact that Lucifer behaves exactly like what he is. An incredible powerful and intelligent egocentric prick.

Cryptrat
2007-12-05, 12:26 PM
Its a very well written book. Quite a lot of this stems from the fact that Lucifer behaves exactly like what he is. An incredible powerful and intelligent egocentric prick.

Excellently put. I can't say anything to add to it, apart from give it a shot.

Mr White
2007-12-07, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I have given Lucifer a try. I've read 8 issues so far. I like it but it really has a different feel than sandmand (as been said here). Like they where I'm from: change of meal makes you eat.