PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice feat spellcaster?

Rleonardh
2022-08-19, 10:11 PM
The question is can non casters take this fear?
Only thing it says is it's level 1 only feat?

It gives umd skill as class skill.
So can I put it in say a fighter?

Saintheart
2022-08-19, 10:49 PM
The question is can non casters take this fear?
Only thing it says is it's level 1 only feat?

It gives umd skill as class skill.
So can I put it in say a fighter?

RAW and with a bit of chutzpah/blarney/interesting storytelling, absolutely! Maybe your character was forced to be an apprentice spellcaster but really just wants to hit people with his sword?

(There's also precedents in other feats. Eilservs School allows you to fire off charges from a magic staff if you hit with both ends. Requires no spellcasting at all, just Spellcraft ranks. UMD isn't an exclusive skills to casters.)

redking
2022-08-20, 12:29 AM
RAW yes. RAI no. That said, the Apprentice (spellcaster) feat is an odd duck because it grants UMD as an associated skill. Wizards and sorcerers don't get UMD.

You could flavour this as a particular trend or style within the magical arts. So for example, followers of the Dacart school get UMD as an associated skill, while other apprentices of the Arcane Fist school get Intimidate as an associated school (the latter being homebrew).

This might be a negotiating tactic with the DM.

ciopo
2022-08-20, 02:08 AM
Remember that the skill stays as associated for only the first 5 levels

redking
2022-08-20, 02:18 AM
Remember that the skill stays as associated for only the first 5 levels

How does that impact Able Learner?

ciopo
2022-08-20, 03:37 AM
Like usual, it was a class skill for at least one level, and so it's max rank is level+3

Metastachydium
2022-08-20, 06:01 AM
RAI no.

I'd find that odd. The description is very explicit about stating that while it might not be quite as useful for noncasters (which is debatable; UMD's some real good stuff), they can still take it and gain (lesser) benefits.

That said, the Apprentice (spellcaster) feat is an odd duck because it grants UMD as an associated skill. Wizards and sorcerers don't get UMD.

You could flavour this as a particular trend or style within the magical arts. So for example, followers of the Dacart school get UMD as an associated skill, while other apprentices of the Arcane Fist school get Intimidate as an associated school (the latter being homebrew).

This might be a negotiating tactic with the DM.

My preferred approach flavourwise would be more like something along the lines of "now, kid, I have seen many things throughout the years, but this level of hopeless incompetence is baffling. Baffling, I say. We should, mayhaps, focus on magic devices from now on. Even a warlock can handle those, after all."