PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Base Class Contest XX: I'm Not Supposed to Be Here (Voting Thread)

Breccia
2022-08-22, 06:03 PM
It's time to vote! Here are the nominations:

Damon_Tor has given us The Brute (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25497936&postcount=2)

BerzerkerUnit has given us The Add-A-Kid (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xm4KWS2ADnDPBD_YhAhDwTUiv0Ur2qYm/view?usp=sharing)

not_a_fish has given us Visitor From Another World (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25529499&postcount=4)

Psyche has given us The Candlemaker (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25550555&postcount=5)

animorte has given us The Cleaner (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=25553561&postcount=6)

Class
Class
Second
Third

The Brute
The Brute

The Add-A-Kid
The Add-A-Kid
x

Visitor f.a. World
Visitor From Another World
x

The Candlemaker
The Candlemaker
x

The Cleaner
The Cleaner

The voting thread is a few hours delayed, but it will stay up for the standard three weeks until August 43rd. Or, for those of you using the metric system, Monday Sept 12th. As per usual, vote for your top three in order, and tell us what you liked about them!

Normally MM also asks you to pick between a pair of topics to pick for the next contest, but he's not here and I'm not ready to saddle him with two of my bad ideas the second he gets back, so, let's table that part of the discussion until a later date.

Psyche
2022-08-22, 06:41 PM
1. The add a-kid
2. The Visitor
3. The brute
Question: Can you vote for yourself? If so I'm changing my #1 to the candlemaker and moving the other two down one.

Theme suggestions(take or don't): Extraplanar origins: Make something related to the planes
Aligned: Make something related to the 9 pillars of alignment
Rednecker than you: Cowboys, trucks, etc. WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO
When I taste tequila: The way of the drunken master has nothing on *hic* this.
Death itself: Morbid is the way I like it.
It's divine: Light in the darkness is your jam!
Technological terror (a bloons td6 reference): We invent what we must to survive.
Tears: Dread, despair, and everything nice.
Nebula battles: Like star wars, but none of that copyright stuff.
Personality lacking: Classes that taste like cheerios. Champion fighter fits in this.
Cute and cuddly: A teddy bear is filled with hatred whenever they see one of these walk by.

Breccia
2022-08-22, 08:59 PM
Question: Can you vote for yourself?

I've never seen it done, so let's say "no" for now. I'm not ready to rock the boat.

animorte
2022-08-23, 10:55 PM
Correct, we can't vote for ourselves.

Behold, votes of mine:
1. Add-A-Kid... Quite funny and nicely done incorporating the obvious influences.
2. The Brute... You're very good at making things feel just right for the game.
3. The Candlemaker… I appreciate the poetry and concepts within, if only just cleaned up a bit. :smallwink:

----------

Took these personal favorite ideas directly from the base class discussion thread:
Sound of Silence (Classes based around sound or the absence thereof.)
Other Media (Games, books, comics, movies, music, theater, even other TTRPGS).
Heroes from Myths (Take a specific figure from myth, folklore, or cultural stories, like Heracles or the Monkey King or even Paul Bunyan, and make it a class.)

Itsfrank
2022-08-25, 12:57 PM
Here's my vote guys!
1. Brute
2. Cleaner
Those are both like my personal life actually heh. I dont know about any theme stuff.
3. Visitor

Damon_Tor
2022-08-25, 06:07 PM
1. The Add-a-Kid - Probably the best example here of an adventure archetype that isn't well represented.
2. The Visitor - Also a relevant adventure archetype, if not quite as well constructed as the Add-a-Kid
(Why is everyone only casting two votes btw? Did I miss something?)
3. The Candlemaker - Edit for third place.

I'll second the theme of "Heroes from Myths".

Notafish
2022-08-26, 09:37 PM
1. The Brute - I think the concept of "gentle giant" really is one that is out of place in a DnD adventuring party, but not the adventure genre as a whole. This class introduces some novel, fun, interesting ways of playing a physically gifted non-martial.

2. The Add-a-Kid. Also a really fun concept, and well-polished. I lol'd at some of the feature descriptions. My main critique is that I think the "story arc" of going from tag-a-long to full-fledged hero is hard for me to square with the class's mechanical arc from level 1-20.

3. The Cleaner. If I ever get around to doing my "Underdark HVAC Maintenance" campaign, I will look to this class (particularly the "Janitor" subclass) for inspiration.

I like the idea of a space opera themed contest in the future, but no really strong opinions.

Breccia
2022-08-27, 01:23 AM
(Why is everyone only casting two votes btw? Did I miss something?)

I'm curious myself. I'm pretty sure we've voted for 3 choices in the past, even in situations with only a few entries, and I'm not cutting that down to two.

Notafish
2022-08-29, 08:05 PM
I edited my post to add a third pick.

Just to Browse
2022-08-30, 10:12 PM
1. The Cleaner. This is everything I wanted out of this class entry: legitimately out of left field idea, a solid theme, and class features that make me laugh out loud. This does everything I want and it cuts out all the fat of extra subsystems. In my opinion it's a little bit too lean, and the high-level utility isn't that interesting. Still a rockstar class and my choice by #1.

2. Add-A-Kid. Obviously a lot of love went into this. The idea is charming, and the subclasses are flavorful. I think the level 1 features carry the flavor super hard. I put it at #2 because there are some usability issues with the class / overuse of subsystems, and I'm a little worried about the power level of its sheer flexibility with solid baseline contributions.

3. Visit From Another World. The concept here was super fascinating. The idea of a person who doesn't fit in this universe just compels me so much, and the reality-bending effects really sell that fantasy. I put it third because I think the central mechanic has serious power level and usability problems, and it was tough to read.

---

I support a myth-themed topic for next time. Maybe not as specific as the heroes, because it feels like there isn't a ton of room in that, but more like... mythological.. stuff?

BerzerkerUnit
2022-09-03, 12:30 PM
1. Candlemaker- I love the aesthetic of this class but I have a dozen questions about the candles. I will probably do one of my own that emphasizes them more. Wish I hadn't slept on feedback.

2. Visitor- Feels good all around. There are some definite scaling issues, but it's an excellent archetype.

3. The Cleaner- This feels like an anime gag character to me and I cannot stress enough how good it is to see such a thing. I have a Barbarian Subclass based on the Chi-Chi/mama bear archetype, we need more of this for more casual games.

Thank you to all for participating!

Breccia
2022-09-08, 02:25 PM
Oh no! I got the points wrong! I thought it was 5/3/1 but it's 3/2/1 instead!

Now that the points are fixed I will point out we currently have a tie for 2nd place with 8 points. There are tiebreaker rules to handle this, but I will also point out that everyone is allowed to vote, even if they didn't submit anything. And the due date is coming up soon!

Let's cheer on a few more people to have their say in the contest. You are not just allowed, but encouraged, to pick your favorites!

Breccia
2022-09-12, 08:10 PM
And it's time to declare the winner!

In a close match, Visitor from Another World only took 3rd place because of a tiebreaker with The Brute. Sounds like a Sci-Fi movie, actually, Monsters Vs Aliens or so.

And in first place, The Add-A-Kid!

Congrats to all our winners and a big thanks to everyone who participated!

Okay, so, MM could be back shortly and I really don't want to step on his toes, so, I think I'll wait a week-ish before we have the next contest? Hopefully he comes back to reclaim the throne. If not, people have already asked for topics and I can comb through them.

Old Harry MTX
2022-09-13, 12:36 AM
And it's time to declare the winner!

In a close match, Visitor from Another World only took 3rd place because of a tiebreaker with The Brute. Sounds like a Sci-Fi movie, actually, Monsters Vs Aliens or so.

And in first place, The Add-A-Kid!

Congrats to all our winners and a big thanks to everyone who participated!

Okay, so, MM could be back shortly and I really don't want to step on his toes, so, I think I'll wait a week-ish before we have the next contest? Hopefully he comes back to reclaim the throne. If not, people have already asked for topics and I can comb through them.

Congrats to all! Breccia, what's the theme of the next contest?

animorte
2022-09-13, 05:41 AM
Based on my count it looks like this one has a few votes:
Heroes from Myths (Take a specific figure from myth, folklore, or cultural stories, like Heracles or the Monkey King or even Paul Bunyan, and make it a class.)

Also, want to give specific shout outs to those that gave my Cleaner some kind words. I was very proud of nailing the theme on this one.

Old Harry MTX
2022-09-13, 07:13 AM
Based on my count it looks like this one has a few votes:

Hum, I'm afraid I ran out of all the ideas on this subject when I wrote the Demigod for one of the last base class contests. ^^

Breccia
2022-09-13, 11:11 AM

Well again, if MM is back up and running in a week, he'll run the show. If not, by then I'll have gone through the suggestions and pick one that looks interesting and popular.