PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Multiclassing options for Ranger Gloomstalker

BGGCriticalMass
2022-08-22, 09:33 PM
Hi all. Thanks in advance for help and suggestions.
I am joining a new campaign. I am going to be playing a ranger. Someone else had nominated straight cleric which I would have taken myself. a second player is a paladin fighter. A third is going Rogue / Bard / Warlock. The fourth is going straight wizard.
Given that it seems like some degree of optimization is likely to be going on based on the multiclassing nominated, I was looking for advice on multiclassing ranger. I usually play straight class including the only previous time I played a ranger.

I am likely to take 5 levels of Gloomstalker before I do anything else and probably come back at some stage for 3 more levels of Gloomstalker to get the Wisdom Saves and ASI amongst other things. My starting stats are 10 STR 16 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 14 WIS and 8 CHA based on rolls and race bonuses. At level 1 I am playing as a human variant with crossbow master, starting with a hand crossbow and studded leather from gold buy (and other mundane items.

The likely choices I have thought about for multiclassing are:
Battlemaster fighter 4 for action surge on ambushes (7 attacks on round 1 from level 8), precision attack, goading or menacing attack and trip attack and an ASI.
Assassin Rogue 4 for opening round combinations of assassinate and dread ambusher / umbral sight, expertise and an ASI
Armorer Artificer 4 for repeating +1 hand crossbow and shield, advantage on stealth, increased speed and an ASI. (recognising that I need 1 more INT to multiclass here)

Are there any reasons to choose one (or more) options over the others?

CTurbo
2022-08-23, 12:07 AM
I recommend Gloom Stalker 5, Fighter 2, Assassin Rogue X

Max Dex, get Sharpshooter, and Alert

I've played this and it's great. I prefer Longbow, but Crossbow Expert works too.

or

Battlemaster 5, Gloom Stalker 3, and then go Fighter from there.

Rogue IS a good fit though.

A single level of Cleric gives you Bless on all your attacks to help counter balance the -5/+10

I actually like the Gloom Stalker's level 11 feature and it fits well with Skulker, but there is no doubt that it's inferior to the Fighter's 11th level 3rd attack.

follacchioso
2022-08-23, 02:54 AM
One War Cleric level gives you a BA attack that you can use a couple of times per rest. An extra level gets you Guided Strike, a +10 to a roll to use when your sharpshooter shot fails.

Twilight Cleric instead gives you excellent Darkvision and advantage to Initiative, both great for a Gloomstalker.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-08-23, 12:17 PM
I played Gloom 9 then took the rest of the levels in Battlemaster and Rogue. That was pre-Tashas though, and there are a few more Tier 3 options for rangers now, and I think a couple of 4th level spells that are OK.