PDA

View Full Version : Toys for an 18th Level Wizard

AKA_Bait
2007-11-29, 10:00 AM
Hey there folks. I'm creating an 18th level wizard for a game and have 440,000 gp to blow. Well, technically a Wizard 15 / Loremaster 1 / Archmage 2.

What should I spend it on?

So far I have in mind a headband of intellect +6, some eternal wands of low level useful spells (like tongues), a wand of Phantom steed at 14th level, and a wand bracelet (MiC). None of those are set in stone though.

Who wants to help me blow some gold?

Kurald Galain
2007-11-29, 10:16 AM
Try rods of metamagic.

Also, the common set of immunites and free action and so forth, but that's cheap.

FinalJustice
2007-11-29, 10:16 AM
Buy a Book for Int +4 / (+5 if your int is odd-numbered). Extra spells, higher DCs, more Knowledge doesn't hurt. =D

Ring of Arcane Might (+1 CL for 20k is good)
Ring of Enduring Arcana (CMage, 6k, your CL is 4 higher when some looser tries to dispell you) OR Ring of Counterspelling (stick a greater dispell, or a disjunction if you DM is a being of pure evil)

Buclker +1 Soulfire (BoED) - Ethernal deathward

Triaxx
2007-11-29, 10:17 AM
If you don't mind Homebrew this is a nice little toy that comes in handy on occasion.

Ioun Stone of Morning Sun/Evening Moon
A sphere of ten inches around, glowing the bright red/yellow of the morning sun, or the pale grey/white of the evening moon. From the stone exudes a bright light, giving the wearer a powerful light source. This lowers their ability to hide (+2 to enemy spot checks), and gives others a bonus when shooting at them while concealed (+2 to hit roll).
Cost: 24,000 gp, Blessing of a priest of good or evil, 5,000xp

Solar Flare/Full Moonlight
Once per day, the stone is able to flare brightly, increasing the light, and the range of vision by 1d4 feet in dark places, for five minutes, or one round. This provides a +2 bonus to spot, and search checks.

Nova Flare
Usable once per day, the stone darkens momentarily, before flaring ten times as bright as during Solar Flare/Full Moonlight. Enemies must make a DC 18 reflex save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds, and Werewolves must make a DC 22 reflex save, or change forms involuntarily.

sikyon
2007-11-29, 10:25 AM
(Ring of) Freedom of Movement

This gold ring allows the wearer to act as if continually under the effect of a freedom of movement spell.

Moderate abjuration; CL 7th; Forge Ring, freedom of movement; Price 40,000 gp.

Very important for wizards. No more fog, web, and especially grapple.

Karsh
2007-11-29, 10:27 AM
An Orange Ioun Stone will give you +1 Caster level for 30,000 gp.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-29, 10:40 AM
An Orange Ioun Stone will give you +1 Caster level for 30,000 gp.

Oh, already got that one. Forgot to mention it.

Where is Ring of Arcane might from? Does that +1 CL stack with the ioun stone?

Keld Denar
2007-11-29, 10:44 AM
Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting (MIC) all your spells ignore incorporial miss chance. Its ghost touch for casters! And cheap! YAY! Do bad things to those with no str score by trapping them in a web and forcing them to make str checks. Needed if party doesn't have high level turning cleric. And what else are you gonna do with your glove slot?

Belt of Battle (MIC) So good. Get an extra standard or full round action once a day. Swift action to activate, so can't be combined with quicken spell metamagic, but great for casting 2 high level spells in a round. Get 3-4 of em at 12k each. No atunement period.

Get a few PoPs for commonly used spell levels (especially 1st, to pearl back Nerveskitter after every fight, and 2nd to pearl back Battlemagic Perception), as well as a few metamagic rods (especially lesser and standard extend and quicken). Permanant buffs and extra actions are made of win.

Ring of Freedom of Movement already mentioned above, but seconded for emphasis.

Orange IWIN stone, same as mentioned above.

That should pretty well cover a decent bit of cash.

EDIT: Ring of Arcane Might is in CMage. And yes, they are both unnamed bonuses from different sources, so they stack (+2 CL). Combine with Archmage levels an the Craft Magical Tatoo spell from one of the Faerun books, and you can really jack your CL. That makes you hard to dispel, which you don't want to happen. You worked hard for those buffs, don't let someone take them away from you in less than 6 seconds!

EDIT2: +6 CON necklace. You can NEVER have TOO many hp. Keeps you safe from splash damage and hopefully out of the reach of stray power words.

Shishnarfne
2007-11-29, 11:12 AM
I usually like Cloaks of Resistance to keep pesky Save or Else spells at bay... Though that's fairly common for any character I play (except Cha-based ones).

I always like scribing a few scrolls of spells I'd rather not prepare, too. (e.g. passwall, remove curse) This works best for spells too high of a level to Eternal Wand (though it has a similar idea).

That Belt of Battle looks like it is made for a caster to enjoy (way too much).

Dausuul
2007-11-29, 11:31 AM
Hey there folks. I'm creating an 18th level wizard for a game and have 440,000 gp to blow. Well, technically a Wizard 15 / Loremaster 1 / Archmage 2.

What should I spend it on?

So far I have in mind a headband of intellect +6, some eternal wands of low level useful spells (like tongues), a wand of Phantom steed at 14th level, and a wand bracelet (MiC). None of those are set in stone though.

Who wants to help me blow some gold?

+5 tome of clear thought (inherent bonus, so it stacks with the headband). That'll eat up plenty of cash right there. By the way, what's with the phantom steed wand? 42K seems like a lot of gold just to be sure you're never without a phantom steed... just cast it every day and carry a couple of scrolls in case it gets killed.

Ganurath
2007-11-29, 11:33 AM
Make spellstitched undead, using a Periapt of Wisdom if neccesary so they have high enough Wisdom to make undead of their own.

Karsh
2007-11-29, 11:42 AM
You could always use a Vest of the Archmage, too....

nargbop
2007-11-29, 12:28 PM
Caster Gloves ( I think from the Magic Item Compendium ) - allows you to use any magic device on your person as if it was in your hand.
+
Bag of Holding or the Handy Haversack or Belt of Many Pockets
+
ALL the metamagic Rods
=
You get to spend your Feats on fun stuff like Vatic Gaze instead of Metamagic.

Check the rules for how many items you can use at the same time with those Caster Gloves. A maximized extended-range fireball can take out an enemy as soon as you see it.

Chronos
2007-11-29, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately, a spell can only be boosted by a single metamagic rod. So if you want multiple metamagic effects, you'll have to learn some of them yourself.

(Ring of) Freedom of Movement
Very important for wizards. No more fog, web, and especially grapple.Very important for anyone who can afford one, since being immobilized is always annoying.

Also in the "good for anyone" category is a Necklace of Adaptation. A great many harmful effects come in gas form, and this protects you from all of them, plus lets you survive underwater, in a vacuum, etc. The only downside is that there are a lot of other good things to put in the necklace slot, too.

And since you asked for "toys", get a Rod of Wonder. Yeah, mechanically it's almost never the best choice, but it sure is a lot of fun.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-29, 02:08 PM
Isn't there some item that gives +6 to all your stats?

Eldritch_Ent
2007-11-29, 02:31 PM
It's a belt, can't remember quite what it was called. "Belt of Greatness"?

Amiria
2007-11-29, 02:32 PM
Yes, Belt of Magnificence +6 from the Minatures Handbook, 200k gp.

Lesser Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell makes the martial characters in your party happy. Use it on Greater Magic Weapon to get all weapons of the party to +4 (+5 if you have both of those +1 CL items).

Rods of Extend Spell don't cost much, and your buffs will last for more than one encounter.

A really good item is the Vest of the Archmagi (MIC), also 200k gp.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-29, 02:36 PM
Yes, Belt of Magnificence +6 from the Minatures Handbook, 200k gp.

I shall look into it. Are there crafting rules in the for it? The character has craft wonderous and craft wand as well as sculpt spell, chain spell, quicken spell and arcane thesis.

Lesser Metamagic Rod of Chain Spell makes the martial characters in your party happy.

Oh yes. I plan to be chaining true strike quite a bit.

A really good item is the Vest of the Archmagi (MIC), also 200k gp.

Yes, I think I'll probably buy that one.

Chronos
2007-11-29, 02:38 PM
Oh yes. I plan to be chaining true strike quite a bit.Can you do that? I thought Chain Spell didn't work on personal spells.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-29, 02:57 PM
Can you do that? I thought Chain Spell didn't work on personal spells.

Humm... you are right. Darn.

The_Snark
2007-11-29, 03:10 PM
A Ring of Enduring Arcana (Complete Mage) increases the DC to dispel any of your spells by 4, for only 6,000 gold. Increase the price by 50% and add it to the Ring of Arcane Power; it's easily worth 9,000 to be more resistant to dispels.

If you can spare a 6th-level spell, Superior Resistance will mean you don't need to bother with a Cloak or Vest of Resistance. Er, not that that helps you buy items...

A Belt of Magnificence +6 (wondrous item, by the way, requiring all six ability-enhancing spells to craft) and a Tome of Intellect +4 (or +5 if you have an odd Int) will eat up a lot of that gold, though.

mostlyharmful
2007-11-29, 03:22 PM
Crystal Ball, with any mods you can afford, to spam scrying at anything, anywhere, anyone you run across, want to run across, are afraid to run across.

Ring of Invis. Just so Damn useful!

Likewise it's worth it to try to add hat of disguise to your headband of intellect, disguise self at will for 2.7k can be used/abused for so much fun

Laurellien
2007-11-29, 05:00 PM
Buy and equip a mercenary army.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-11-29, 07:33 PM
Metamagic rods for Quicken (greater) will be insanely useful. From an impratical, but funny, viewpoint, a Mirror of Opposition would be a useful tool to play with.

Balor: I will eat your souls with caviar!:smallfurious:
You: Want to see if you look good before killing me?
Balor: Sure. *gets killed or severely weakened by evil opposite*:smallbiggrin:

daggaz
2007-11-29, 07:40 PM
Can you do that? I thought Chain Spell didn't work on personal spells.

It doesnt, but thats why he is going to take Arcane Reach as his first Archmage bonus. At least, he should..

JimmyDPawn
2007-11-29, 09:02 PM
Toys for an 18th level wizard? How about reality?

AKA_Bait
2007-11-29, 09:10 PM
That is, in fact, what I took (that and spell like ability at second level with timestop or shapechange I haven't decided which). However, arcane reach turns spells with the range of 'touch' into ranged spells, not spells with the range of personal.

As much as I really wanted to truestrike the whole party....