PDA

View Full Version : The "Other" Book (Potential Spoilers)

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-11-29, 11:04 AM
I was just leafing though my copy of No Cure for the Paladin Blues when I noticed something. Rich mentions THREE Books to be written outside of the strip compilations:

On the Origins of PCs and a book on Xykon and Redcloak (Start of Darkness). Now like Roy and Elan, I sometimes have a hard time adding, but I only count two books. :smallbiggrin:

I wonder what/who the third book will be about.

Nale and the Linear Guild?
The Order of the Scribble?

Something else?

What would you like to see a third book cover?

Kaelaroth
2007-11-29, 11:30 AM

Those would both be good, and maybe something about the Sapphire Guard a few years ago... Miko before she was stuffy, Hinjo when he was going to be wizard, and Shojo when he wasn't all icky.

I'd also like to see a book detailing Eugene and his group's antics, and the death of Eric. Roy: Behind the Blade!

Wych
2007-11-29, 11:41 AM

Could be called On the Origins of NPCs (if you coun't everyone other than OOTS as NPCs.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-11-29, 12:16 PM
Those would both be good, and maybe something about the Sapphire Guard a few years ago... Miko before she was stuffy, Hinjo when he was going to be wizard, and Shojo when he wasn't all icky.

I'd also like to see a book detailing Eugene and his group's antics, and the death of Eric. Roy: Behind the Blade!

Now a book on Eugene's adventuring days might be interesting! Maybe there is more to Eugene than being a crotchety old fart!

When was Hinjo going to be a wizard? I don't ever recall that.

Kurald Galain
2007-11-29, 12:49 PM
Could be called On the Origins of NPCs (if you coun't everyone other than OOTS as NPCs.

Needs a better pun :smalltongue:

Linear Miserables?
Saving Private Hinjo?

mb52
2007-11-29, 01:31 PM
Origin of the PCs
No cure for the paladin blues
Start of Darkness..

Thats 3 there isn't it?

*Templar*
2007-11-29, 01:38 PM
Origin of the PCs
Start of Darkness..

Thats 3 there isn't it?

No Cure for the Paladin Blues is a strip compilation book, like Dungeon Crawlin' Fools was. The reference was to three books besides strip compilation volumes. On the Origins of PCs and Start of Darkness are two, leaving the possibility of a third.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-11-29, 01:42 PM
Origin of the PCs
Start of Darkness..

Thats 3 there isn't it?

That's three all right, but not what I meant. :smallwink:

On the Origins of PCs and Start of Darkness are both "All New Material"

Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, No Cure for the Paladin Blues and the forthcoming War and XPs are the compilation books.

According to Rich's essay at the end of No Cure, there are supposed to be three non-compilation books in addition to the six planned compilation books, with the distinct possibility of more. So a minimum (as of now) of nine books.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

@ Kurald Galain, I had an idea on a Pun title, based on the solo adventures of Durkon:

The Beerslayer :smallbiggrin:

mb52
2007-11-29, 01:58 PM
Oh, sorry my bad =p

Kaelaroth
2007-11-29, 02:33 PM
Now a book on Eugene's adventuring days might be interesting! Maybe there is more to Eugene than being a crotchety old fart!

When was Hinjo going to be a wizard? I don't ever recall that.

Meh. I just thought if he wasn't always gonna be a paladin, he may've been starting off as something else. If you want I'll choose something else:

Hinjo was going to be a Favoured Soul / Fighter / Bard / Contemplative / Spirit Shaman/ Argent Savant.

Green-Shirt Q
2007-11-29, 03:55 PM
it's the story of two lawyers:smallbiggrin:

Porthos
2007-11-29, 05:17 PM

Someone suggested a while back that a Linear Guild Book should be called....

Spoilered so Rich won't read it:

A Brief History of Crime.

Which is absolutely perfect, IMO. :smallbiggrin:

BigBooter
2007-11-29, 05:28 PM

That one gets my vote! Oh, yea! :smallbiggrin:

Would also love to see a book on the adventures of Soon and Co closing the gates, but I guess it wouldn't be appropriate until we resolve the current main story (which will probably take another few years, at least)...

Or how about Celia's story, as part of an NPC compilation? Oh, right, someone already said that [ boot to the face ] :smallredface:

BigBooter
2007-11-29, 05:30 PM
it's the story of two lawyers:smallbiggrin:

I'd buy that one! Still waiting on my membership application for the Rodriguez fan club! :smallwink:

"If the boot doesn't fit, you must acquit!" :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2007-11-30, 01:38 AM
I think it'd have to be the Order of the Scribble, to stay in chronological order. Origins is book 0 in the series, and Start of Darkness is -1, so there's no room for a Linear Guild book, which would have to be -0.5.

Xandro
2007-11-30, 02:49 AM
I think it'd have to be the Order of the Scribble, to stay in chronological order. Origins is book 0 in the series, and Start of Darkness is -1, so there's no room for a Linear Guild book, which would have to be -0.5.

I don't get it. 'Origin of PC's' and 'Start of Darkness' aren't in a chronological order, not evan in a negative one.

'Start of Darkness' covers a period from more than 100 years ago till the moment, Xykon is taking Durakons Dungeon, six month before the events of 'Dungeon Crawling Fools'. And 'Origin of PC's' has a lot of story that takes place before Xkon defeating Durakon. 'Origin of PC's' doesn't even have a chronological order in itself...

I think, there are more than one story that has to be told, so I hope the Giant will publish more than three volumes of Bonus Material. Five seems reasonable at the moment. The existing two plus

- The story of the Saphire guard (starring Kubuto and Tsukiko)
- The Order of the Scribble (starring Eugene Greenhilt and/or Vaarsuvius)
- The rise of the Linear Guild (starring the lawyers)

:smallsmile:

Caractacus
2007-11-30, 03:03 AM
[QUOTE=Xandro;3591275]I don't get it. 'Origin of PC's' and 'Start of Darkness' aren't in a chronological order, not evan in a negative one.

I think they are broadly in negative order. The events also move generally chronologically within the works themselves, with obvious reasons for the way OtOoPCs is written.

That said, I'm not sure that Rich means them to have to contain information in chronological order when published. It would seem entirely okay to me to have the next one published as -2. But then again, why not actually print a -0.5? It's pretty rare to manage to get humour into even the book numbering system, but Rich could do it. Or how about -1a? :smallsmile:

Xandro
2007-11-30, 03:12 AM
That said, I'm not sure that Rich means them to have to contain information in chronological order when published.

I suspect that he doesn't. More I guess that it looks like his order of the bonus material books is inspired by the importance of its protagonists.

First one: The heroes of the main comic.
Second one: The major antagonists of the main comic.

But from this point of view it's really difficult to predict the next one... :smallconfused:

Caractacus
2007-11-30, 03:47 AM
I suspect that he doesn't. More I guess that it looks like his order of the bonus material books is inspired by the importance of its protagonists.

First one: The heroes of the main comic.
Second one: The major antagonists of the main comic.

But from this point of view it's really difficult to predict the next one... :smallconfused:

How about a compilation of the Ootsworld cut scenes?

The Tome of Temptation!

Eugene and Roy's mum
Roy and Celia
Samantha and her prisoners
Belkar and his whores
[Miko praying]
Thog's mum and dad
Therkla's mum and dad
Tsukiko and her House of Horrors
and, of course, Sabine and Nale

With Sabine's shape-shifting, the possibilities are nigh endless...:smalltongue:

Skyserpent
2007-11-30, 04:36 AM
How about a compilation of the Ootsworld cut sex scenes?

The Tome of Temptation!

Eugene and Roy's mum
Roy and Celia
Belkar and his whores
[Miko praying]
Thog's mum and dad
Therkla's mum and dad

With Sabine's shape-shifting, the possibilities are nigh endless...:smalltongue:

BAD Caractacus! BAD! This is a FAMILY comic! :smallamused:

Caractacus
2007-11-30, 05:54 AM
BAD Caractacus! BAD! This is a FAMILY comic! :smallamused:

*does penance*

*reads 'Belkar's Romantic Intrest' thread*

*does double penance*

Xandro
2007-11-30, 06:04 AM
How about a compilation of the Ootsworld cut scenes?

The Tome of Temptation!

Eugene and Roy's mum
Roy and Celia
Belkar and his whores
[Miko praying]
Thog's mum and dad
Therkla's mum and dad

How do we get all the acid for all the readers to dip their brains in? :smalleek: :eek: :smalleek:

Caractacus
2007-11-30, 06:49 AM
How do we get all the acid for all the readers to dip their brains in? :smalleek: :eek: :smalleek:

I leave that to others. Should this book see the light of day (rather than the light of the bathroom), I am sure that shares in acid would be a strong buy.:smalltongue:

I shall keep an eye out for other such scenes that must be included.

I challenge all who draw in the 'Belkar's Romantic Intrest' and 'House of Horrors' threads to create these scenes for us...not one panel, but three - let us see the eye of imagination at work...:smallcool:

Wych
2007-11-30, 06:54 AM

Oooh I like that idea :P.

MrEdwardNigma
2007-11-30, 07:19 AM
The third book will be about the Linear Guild, no doubt about it. They're pretty much the longest running characters next to Xykon and the Order of the Stick, and they're major villains. Yep, I think it will be about Elan's childhood, Sabine being sent to him, Elan forming the original Linear Guild and them being employed by Xykon.

Xandro
2007-11-30, 08:04 AM
I think it will be about Elan's childhood, Sabine being sent to him, Elan forming the original Linear Guild and them being employed by Xykon.

Are you mistaking Elan for Nale? I must admit they look very identical except a few details ...

Or are you implying, that Elan founded the Linear Guild and was displaced by his evil twin-brother? That would be a very interesting plot-twist, it's only a question how he made Elan forget everything.

:smalltongue:

No, seriously, I guess you are right in general. If you assume that the order of the bonus material books is based on the importance of its main characters, then our linear friends are good bet.

:smallwink:

TheNovak
2007-11-30, 08:32 AM
As much as I like the Linear Guild, I'd much rather see a book about the Order of the Scribble. Then again, I don't know how much humor and/or drama could be packed into a story of a fairly generic adventuring party. Maybe something with broader strokes, but with Scribble stuff intertwined.

Hell, maybe we could get half-Linear Guild, half-Scribble. Then everyone'd be happy.

Or maybe new, major, mysterious characters will soon be introduced on the western continent. That'd work, too.

Hyozo
2007-11-30, 09:56 AM
The next book is Therkla's diary. :smallbiggrin:

A bit more history to the linear guild would be interresting, but some of Nale and Sabine's backstories would probably have to be cut out for the reason of IMMENSE spoilers. If Sabine is what she claims to be, most of her backstory would have to be cut out for other reasons as well.

The order of the Scribble, on the other hand, probably wouldn't show us that much more than we already know. I want to see Baron Pineapple.

someonenonotyou
2007-11-30, 10:06 AM
he should doi a miko book

David Argall
2007-11-30, 07:21 PM
Now we have to recall writer output is going down, which means there may be no time for a third prequel.

There is also the point that there is nobody that is really a standout candidate for another book. We like to know where the heros came from and as chief foes, we want Xykon and Redcloak, but the rest are small time and don't get that much interest. We might well buy it, but we are not saying This one needs to be written.

Now I would suggest a short story collection, about 10-12 strips each for 10-12 PC/NPCs. For example, there is surely at least one good story for Miko, but a full book? Eugene also looks to have some good stories. The Linear Guild three can get a little space. [Now note that they will probably figure greatly in the next book, and their background may well be an important part of that. So that makes any prequel featuring them spoilers until 2010. So have patience in your hopes for a new prequel.] We can add in a few pages on the Scribble...

Zifna
2007-11-30, 07:32 PM
I think the third book to come out might be along the lines of a denoument/resolution book.

That is, we know that there is meant to be a set end to OOTS, at some point. And it's often more emotionally powerful to end on a "punchy note" i.e. looking out over a proud new vista, two lovers finally reunited etc etc.

Unfortunately, these same endings often lack a lot of the details readers want to know. For example, if the strip were to end with... ohh... the rifts being mended and goblins being granted land and, um.. MitD being revealed, that'd be cool but it'd still leave a lot out. Like... does Redcloak ever start a family? Do Elan and Haley work out in the long run? What gender is V's spouse? etc etc. Perhaps the first two books were meant as prologue and the last will be an epilogue. :)

BigBooter
2007-12-01, 04:38 PM
Are you mistaking Elan for Nale? I must admit they look very identical except a few details ...

Or are you implying, that Elan founded the Linear Guild and was displaced by his evil twin-brother? That would be a very interesting plot-twist, it's only a question how he made Elan forget everything.

:smalltongue:

No, seriously, I guess you are right in general. If you assume that the order of the bonus material books is based on the importance of its main characters, then our linear friends are good bet.

:smallwink:

:smallbiggrin: How to make Elan forget things... :smallbiggrin: [ "whack" around the head from Nale ]
Actually, even that isn't all that necessary... Elan does a perfectly good job of forgetting all sorts of things often :smallwink:

As far as anthology, ensemble-type books go, I'd still be interested in a compilation of short stories, that while set in the OotS world, are about totally new and different characters... for me, it's become about more than the main characters - I just love the Giantmeister's perspective on everything, so he could make a "Stories from the Stickworld" book, and I'd be helpless at resisting a purchase :smallwink:

Even if the titles were something like "Stickworld: The Colour of My Stick", "The Line Fantastic", or even "Equal Sprites" (humble aplogies to loyal adherants of the Cult of Pratchett out there... please don't send the Luggage after me! :smallredface: )

Maybe even a "Lord of the Stick" trilogy... "The Fellowship of the Stick", "The Two Outlines", and "Return of the Stick"... ok, ok, I'm going now... honest... :smallredface:

Yeril
2007-12-01, 05:15 PM
Somthing to do with Azure city would be good, because theres so much you can cover.

Miko, Shojo, Hinjo, Lien, O-chul, Soon Kim, Bandanna-Paladin, Seer-chick, Mustache Guy, Therlka, Tsukiko, Diago, Kazumi, and a whole lot more.

So many characters and events to cover :smallbiggrin:

Sequinox
2007-12-01, 06:02 PM
Another name for the title:

A tale of two lawyers. Greatest apologies to Chuck Dickens. :smallbiggrin:

turkishproverb
2007-12-02, 03:54 AM
Another name for the title:

A tale of two lawyers. Greatest apologies to Chuck Dickens. :smallbiggrin:

or go one step further (For a book about the linear guild and the order of the scribble)

Two Tales of two parties

rickvoid
2007-12-02, 09:36 AM
I once again submit: The history of the Greenhilt family! Lets see that strong Fighter heritage in action! Also we'd get to see the death of Roy's brother (near the end), learn more about Grandpa Greenhilt, learn why they are named after a sword, and how they got said sword. Epic battles!

Title:
It's Not Easy Being Green(hilt)!

Tyrmatt
2007-12-02, 10:10 AM
My guess is it will be
The Life and Times of Elan Tyrinnar - Dashing Swordsman - A diary detailing the aftermath of the defeat of Xykon and the stabilising of the rifts, about how the Order has both splintered. How each of the order chose to defend their gates, given that the Azure City Gate will be returned to Hinjo and Co.
Coming at some point in the future: The Life and Times of Elan Tyrinnar.
It's what I want anyway.

Caractacus
2007-12-02, 04:56 PM
I just love the Giantmeister's perspective on everything, so he could make a "Stories from the Stickworld" book, and I'd be helpless at resisting a purchase :smallwink:

Even if the titles were something like "Stickworld: The Colour of My Stick", "The Line Fantastic", or even "Equal Sprites" (humble aplogies to loyal adherants of the Cult of Pratchett out there... please don't send the Luggage after me! :smallredface: )

Maybe even a "Lord of the Stick" trilogy... "The Fellowship of the Stick", "The Two Outlines", and "Return of the Stick"... ok, ok, I'm going now... honest... :smallredface:

You just have to love those titles... geekly recognisable and [humour level] appropriate - smart!

BigBooter
2007-12-05, 03:13 AM
You just have to love those titles... geekly recognisable and [humour level] appropriate - smart!

[ bows with flourish ] why, thank you, kind Chimera! :smallwink: I have to admit, I love Sequinox's idea very much... but the award must surely go to rickvoid's title! :smallbiggrin: (with a prelude featuring :thog:)

In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't run with the Anne Rice tangent that I had originally intended... somehow "Interview with a Stick-figure" didn't have the same ring about it... and the less said about "Stick Trek: The Next Colouration", "Deep Stick Line", "Roy-ever" and "Belkar-prize" the better :smallredface:

EDIT: I actually meant to say, "Stick Trek: Three Space Line" :smallwink:

SoD
2007-12-05, 06:33 AM
I've always hoped (and talked about with my friends) about a Linear Guild prequel. I just want to see something centred around Thog. :thog:

BigBooter
2007-12-06, 06:25 AM
How about another Xykon piece, full of (mis)adventures before 'Dungeon Crawling Fools'... perhaps titled:
Bad to the Bone
:xykon: Gotta be bad... [duh dah de duh duh ]

:xykon: I may be bad, but I feel... gooood... :smallwink: