PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help building a level 3 standard bearer

Max Caysey
2022-08-24, 02:47 PM
So, I am going to have a standard bearer follow me around. Its for a character with leadership. I don't want to have the follower be overly active in combat, but he/she will be carrying the Captain's Standard from DR #334.

When called upon, the standard bearer will activate the banner to aid the party. Important to note is that the standard bearer is not my cohort, but a normal follower.

I'm having trouble figuring out what class/build style I should go for here... I was looking for some sort of squire class or ACF, but I can only find legendary squire and its a three level PrC.

The followers/ organization is military styled, so something that would fit in a medieval army/militia would fit best.

Any suggestions on class, style, feats, etc. that might make the person a good standard bearer would be great!

Cheers!

ShurikVch
2022-08-24, 03:04 PM
Check the Standardbearer (https://www.ebay.com/itm/165070000691) from the "Against the Giants" miniature set?

Doctor Despair
2022-08-24, 03:05 PM
Bard, marshal, and dragon shaman might be worth considering.

For feats, Constant Guardian would be be a nice buff, and Devoted Guardian is a decent emergency escape button. Alternatively (or additionally), Shieldmate and give the lad a tower shield to take total defense with in combat.

Max Caysey
2022-08-24, 04:45 PM
Bard, marshal, and dragon shaman might be worth considering.

For feats, Constant Guardian would be be a nice buff, and Devoted Guardian is a decent emergency escape button. Alternatively (or additionally), Shieldmate and give the lad a tower shield to take total defense with in combat.

I like the Dragon Shaman and Marshal mix. It would seem that I can have auras from both classes active at the same time, which would be very nice!

I'm a little uncertain about the last level. I'm considering maybe a fighter type class - possibly bodyguard variant, but not sure. Paladin would fit the concept, but simply not sure I would get much from 1 level of paladin... especially since this follower is not really supposed to engage in combat directly. That why I like the aura effects... Are there any other classes that might have aura effects?

Also, what would be the benefit of adding Bard to the mix??

Cheers!

Doctor Despair
2022-08-24, 04:51 PM
I like the Dragon Shaman and Marshal mix. It would seem that I can have auras from both classes active at the same time, which would be very nice!

I'm a little uncertain about the last level. I'm considering maybe a fighter type class - possibly bodyguard variant, but not sure. Paladin would fit the concept, but simply not sure I would get much from 1 level of paladin... especially since this follower is not really supposed to engage in combat directly. That why I like the aura effects... Are there any other classes that might have aura effects?

Also, what would be the benefit of adding Bard to the mix??

Cheers!

Inspire Courage; just never let them stop singing. :p

If you wanna go marshal / dragon shaman / fighter, I'd toss on Shieldmate / Constant Guardian. You can have your buddy carry the standard and a tower shield to give you +4 to your AC. If you are going to use a shield personally, or if the standard needs two hands to use, then Shieldmate wouldn't be the best pick, as the +2 from that doesn't stack with your normal shield bonus.

Max Caysey
2022-08-25, 12:13 AM
Inspire Courage; just never let them stop singing. :p

If you wanna go marshal / dragon shaman / fighter, I'd toss on Shieldmate / Constant Guardian. You can have your buddy carry the standard and a tower shield to give you +4 to your AC. If you are going to use a shield personally, or if the standard needs two hands to use, then Shieldmate wouldn't be the best pick, as the +2 from that doesn't stack with your normal shield bonus.

The point of the banner is, that it gives inspire courage, albeit only for 1 min, when activated… but I see how having inspire courage on all the time is nice!

Bucky
2022-08-25, 12:24 AM

I'm a little uncertain about the last level.

You could take a second level of Marshal for the class's other aura.

Max Caysey
2022-08-25, 05:29 AM
You could take a second level of Marshal for the class's other aura.

Indeed, thst is The plan. When I wrote that yesterday, I had forgotten that major auras doesn’t come online until level 2… so I will be taking 2 levels of Marshal, 1 level of Dragon Shaman!

I have 3 feats available and I’m thinking of taking: Constant Guardian, but because I didn’t want my banner bearer to carry a shield I am unsure of the other two feats… suggestions please!

Doctor Despair
2022-08-25, 07:16 AM
I have 3 feats available and I’m thinking of taking: Constant Guardian, but because I didn’t want my banner bearer to carry a shield I am unsure of the other two feats… suggestions please!

Well, first of all, be aware that if you go Dragon Shaman 1 / Marshal 2, you can make your level 1 feat Skill Focus: Diplomacy to shift the feat selection to level 2. That way you can meet more prereqs.

With that said, if you are already going with Constant Guardian, Devoted Guardian could be decent as an emergency escape button.

Martial Study / Martial Stance could be worth considering. You could get Martial Spirit for healing (make nonlethal melee attacks against a bound enemy to heal you to full out of combat). Leading the Charge would give like +1 to damage rolls while charging to allies (not great, but something). Island of Blades lets your buddy give you flanking without having to actually move around the battlefield very much. Bolstering Voice gives you +2 on all will saves, or +4 on will saves against fear. Iron Guard's Glare incentivizes people to attack the buddy, but debuffs enemies.

Max Caysey
2022-08-25, 11:00 AM
Well, first of all, be aware that if you go Dragon Shaman 1 / Marshal 2, you can make your level 1 feat Skill Focus: Diplomacy to shift the feat selection to level 2. That way you can meet more prereqs.

With that said, if you are already going with Constant Guardian, Devoted Guardian could be decent as an emergency escape button.

Martial Study / Martial Stance could be worth considering. You could get Martial Spirit for healing (make nonlethal melee attacks against a bound enemy to heal you to full out of combat). Leading the Charge would give like +1 to damage rolls while charging to allies (not great, but something). Island of Blades lets your buddy give you flanking without having to actually move around the battlefield very much. Bolstering Voice gives you +2 on all will saves, or +4 on will saves against fear. Iron Guard's Glare incentivizes people to attack the buddy, but debuffs enemies.

I really like that!

So far, I have gone with Marshal 2/ Dragon Shaman 1

Feat: Constant Guardian, Martial Study (Crusaders Strike), Martial Stance (Ironguard's Glare)

Weapon I have chosen the Awl Pike, for 15ft. range threat! Armor is a Reinforced Ornate Chainshirt.

Thoughts???

Doctor Despair
2022-08-25, 11:10 AM
I really like that!

So far, I have gone with Marshal 2/ Dragon Shaman 1

Feat: Constant Guardian, Martial Study (Crusaders Strike), Martial Stance (Ironguard's Glare)

Weapon I have chosen the Awl Pike, for 15ft. range threat! Armor is a Reinforced Ornate Chainshirt.

Thoughts???

Personally, I'd suggest Bolstering Voice, but that's because I'm risk averse and don't want my buddy getting targeted.

If you're using a chain shirt, throw on a pair of dastana for +1 to AC, and maybe a buckler for another +1. Even if you're using Iron Guard's Glare, remember that you don't actually have to attack; just threatening is enough, so the -1 to attacks for using the buckler won't matter so much.

wilphe
2022-08-25, 03:06 PM
When called upon, the standard bearer will activate the banner to aid the party. Important to note is that the standard bearer is not my cohort, but a normal follower.

Emphasis added because I think people are overlooking this.

To get a 3rd level follower you going to have a Leadership score of 15 and are entitled to a 10th level cohort.

I'd devote some considerable effort and thought into how you are going to be keeping them alive given that their job description is "stand next to a guy several levels higher than me"

And otherwise those "Caused the death of other followers" penalties are going to stack up fast

++++++++

A 3rd level cohort in a 5th level party and a 3rd level follower in a 10th level party are very different

Max Caysey
2022-08-25, 11:52 PM
Emphasis added because I think people are overlooking this.

To get a 3rd level follower you going to have a Leadership score of 15 and are entitled to a 10th level cohort.

I'd devote some considerable effort and thought into how you are going to be keeping them alive given that their job description is "stand next to a guy several levels higher than me"

And otherwise those "Caused the death of other followers" penalties are going to stack up fast

++++++++

A 3rd level cohort in a 5th level party and a 3rd level follower in a 10th level party are very different

Well, my PC is level 6, my cohort level 5, and the rest of the 3-man party are level 6 too… so him standing next to my character, in total defense nets him a AC of 24… The standard bearer has 18 HP, which is not a lot sure, but he’s actively going to try and stay out of combat while still using his 15ft reach to keep Ironguard’s glare active as much as possible. My character is a marshal too, and we have no spellcasters in the party.

I’m also fairly certain that causing the death of a follower is not cumulative and also does not mean that any time one of my followers die, the penalty procs. Causing the death of could mean a lot of things. And volunteering in my militia is certainly dangerous. However, unless I ask the to do something which is certain suicide or refuse to heal them, then I’m not cause the death… the enemy is!

One could also argue that the rest of the followers would have to know that it was I the PC who did knowingly and in full awareness put the followers of such dangerous situations as to warrant their death!

Whether or not I know of the forthcoming peril is inconsequential to whether or not the other followers know… I don’t reveal my intell/ or Commander’s Intent to others except possibly my cohort…