PDA

View Full Version : Can we abuse the binder's vestige Paimon at range?

Condé
2022-08-25, 06:56 AM
Hello,

I learned recently that the Dance of Death from Paimon was not limited to melee...

For these who don't know, here is the text of the ability:

Dance of Death: When you use this ability, you can move up to your speed and make a single attack against any creature you move past, provoking attacks of opportunity normally. When you use your dance of death, you forfeit any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats or abilities (such as the Cleave feat or the haste spell), and you cannot attack any single creature more than once. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.

(As you can see, no mention of Melee only)

Interestingly enough, I only saw this fact mentionned once in a handbook, one of the oldest as you can see here (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=137.0). But I think this is very interesting, maybe not gamebreaking or anything, but interesting nontheless.

The binder is not often metioned or just for Naberius and rarely more. But I find this really interesting, notably if you are fighting multiple weaker enemies.

My first thought was to combine it with some Skirmish. Sadly, Dance of Death is not a full-round action. So nothing to see here. I guess sneak attack could work. Some Dragonfire Inspiration etc... But... Is there something interesting we can do with it?

Oh and before anyone notice, since the "move past" is not really defined let's just say it works as long as you move 5ft, since it was clearly not intended to work with ranged attacks in mind.

Zombimode
2022-08-25, 07:15 AM
Hello,

I learned recently that the Dance of Death from Paimon was not limited to melee...

For these who don't know, here is the text of the ability:

(As you can see, no mention of Melee only)

Interestingly enough, I only saw this fact mentionned once in a handbook, one of the oldest as you can see here (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=137.0). But I think this is very interesting, maybe not gamebreaking or anything, but interesting nontheless.

The binder is not often metioned or just for Naberius and rarely more. But I find this really interesting, notably if you are fighting multiple weaker enemies.

My first thought was to combine it with some Skirmish. Sadly, Dance of Death is not a full-round action. So nothing to see here. I guess sneak attack could work. Some Dragonfire Inspiration etc... But... Is there something interesting we can do with it?

Oh and before anyone notice, since the "move past" is not really defined let's just say it works as long as you move 5ft, since it was clearly not intended to work with ranged attacks in mind.

However the exact definition of "move past" may look like, to me it is pretty clear that some ammount of adjacency needs to be involved.

In light of that I don't see how ranged weapons would change much in this.

ShurikVch
2022-08-25, 09:14 AM
However the exact definition of "move past" may look like, to me it is pretty clear that some ammount of adjacency needs to be involved.

In light of that I don't see how ranged weapons would change much in this.
Would you disagree with usage of reach weapon too?
Because, if not - it's possible to get very considerable reach: say, Colossal size with Dancing Blade Form, Inhuman Reach, Lunging Strike, and reach weapon would give 90' reach - good range for ranged attacks

Saintheart
2022-08-25, 09:39 AM
Iaijutsu Focus should work with it, if the opponent's flatfooted and you incorporate Quick Draw into it.

If the movement is classed as a move action, Slippers of Battledancing will work with it too.

Weak, but 5th level Battledancer could use it to go tumbling past at normal speed and stick an attack in there.

Mobile Spellcasting might allow you to squeeze a move, cast a touch spell, deliver the attack in the one movement?

Rebel7284
2022-08-25, 05:33 PM
Ranged attacks? Well you can probably make those, but unless you have a ton of features that boost your range attacks, I don't really see too much of a point. Maybe splitting bow would work? Not sure if the ban on extra attacks extend to that.

However one thing that looks nifty with Paimon is Decisive Strike (Monk ACF). Hit someone for double damage with Decisive Strike then get yourself a standard action (Belt of Battle? Celerity?) and do the Dance of Death with all attacks now doing double damage!

Saintheart
2022-08-25, 08:18 PM
Also, stating the obvious, but Bloodstorm Blade seems to gel entirely with this. It's a swift action to basically treat your thrown weapon attack as a melee attack, which works in with Paimon's restrictions, especially as the PrC allows you to determine the point where the thrown weapon returns to you (i.e. throw your weapon as you move, determine the weapon comes back to you at the end of your move point.)