PDA

View Full Version : How to balance casters for d20

purplearcanist
2007-11-29, 02:24 PM
spellcaster (arcane & divine classes):
1. The only spells the arcane spellcasting class can learn are the ones that directly deal damage, such as magic missile and fireball. These spells should be balanced as shown in the DMG. So essentialy, we are turning them into mages equivelent to the black mage.
2. Since there is a limited number of damage spells in the Player's Handbook, more spells will need to be added. Alternatively, a freeform spell creation system could be used.
3. The only spells the divine spellcasting class can learn are the ones that directly heal a target or provide a small amount of harm (weaker then the arcane spellcasting class), such as CLW and ILW. These spells should be balanced as shown in the DMG. So essentialy, we are turning them into mages equivelent to the white mage.
4. Since there is a limited number of healing spells in the Player's Handbook, more spells will need to be added. Alternatively, a freeform spell creation system could be used.
5. Scrap the bard. The Paladin and the Ranger will need to use the spelless variant.
6. If magic other then direct damage dealing or healing spells is used, it should have some drawbacks (such as with incantations).
7. Armored casting for divine spellcasters has the same penalty as armored casting for arcane spellcasters. (Unsure about this?)

Please comment on this system.

serok42
2007-11-29, 02:28 PM
Wizard & Sorcerer:
1. The only spells the wizard and sorcerer can learn are the ones that directly deal damage, such as magic missile and fireball. These spells should be balanced as shown in the DMG. So essentialy, we are turning them into mages equivelent to the black mage.
2. Since there is a limited number of damage spells in the Player's Handbook, more spells will need to be added. Alternatively, a freeform spell creation system could be used.

Please comment on this system.

Wouldn't this just be a Warmage?

Personally I would NEVER play a wizard that could only use damage spells.

So in this scenario would Clerics get all of the utility spells that Arcane casters are forced to give up?

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-29, 02:28 PM
Oh boy that sure sounds like fun!

Wow!!!

Hrrm...

But wait... I am playing a d4 HD, 2 SP/LVL, no armor character who can do only one thing an extremely limited amount of times....

How about instead I play a Cleric or Druid and do whatever I want with d8 HD and armor?

Yeah... real balanced...

purplearcanist
2007-11-29, 02:36 PM
I updated the system. Thanks for the feedback.

Emperor Tippy
2007-11-29, 03:12 PM
It sucks.

Clerics were given somethign besides healing in thsi addition because no one felt like playing the band aid box.Yes wotc went overboard but your going way to far in the opposite direction.

Arcane casters who can only do direct damage suck as well. Fighters are much better at doing direct damage.