PDA

View Full Version : Best option for ranged Artificer?

Spacehamster
2022-08-26, 05:20 AM
At 5 artificer atm using infused longbow 18 INT
1: Continue pure artificer, take sharpshooter at 8 and max INT at 12.
2: Fighter 1 level for archery style, take same ASI’s/feats as option 1.
3: Rogue 1 level for expertise & sneak attack and 1 more skill, same ASI’s/feats as 1.
4: Continue pure artificer but take archery style instead of plus 2 INT at 12.

Absolutely no idea which option to go with and should ding 6 after next session so could need some advice. :)

Edit: 1&4 option also gives acccess to level 4 spells as adventure goes to level 13

Silly Name
2022-08-26, 05:53 AM
I've had a Sharpshooter Battlesmith Artificer in a previous campaign. He was honestly pretty damn good as a pure Artificer with max INT. +17 to damage is nothing to sneeze at.

Archery fighting style is neat, but I wouldn't prioritise it over getting 10 levels in Artificer to bump the bonus to attack and damge from +1 to +2. Also, a level 10 Artificer can replicate Bracers of Archery with their infusion, getting an extra +2 to damage, to a total of +19 damage (or "just" +9 if you aren't taking the penalty on attack rolls). Also, if you're a Battlesmith, at level 9 you get Arcane Jolt, letting you add 2d6 force damage to your attacks with magic weapons once per turn (a number of times equal to your INT modifier per long rest), further increasing your damage output.

By not continuing taking Artificer, you'd also lose out on 3rd level spell slots, your subclass feature, and spellstoring item. In my experience, Artificer is the sort of class that really shines in Tier 3 and 4, what with all the tricks you accumulate over the first 10 levels, and is absolutely worth sticking to.

So, in short, I'd keep going pure Artificer. Take Sharpshooter for your level 8 ASI, and max INT at level 12. Your to-hit bonus is going to be pretty damn good anyways thanks to Battle Ready, and so is your damage bonus. After level 12, you may consider a dip in Fighter to get Archery fighting style, but at that point I'd wait for level 16 and take it as a feat, but even if your campaign doesn't go to such a high level, you should be more than happy with a single-classed Artificer.

Spacehamster
2022-08-26, 06:17 AM
I've had a Sharpshooter Battlesmith Artificer in a previous campaign. He was honestly pretty damn good as a pure Artificer with max INT. +17 to damage is nothing to sneeze at.

Archery fighting style is neat, but I wouldn't prioritise it over getting 10 levels in Artificer to bump the bonus to attack and damge from +1 to +2. Also, a level 10 Artificer can replicate Bracers of Archery with their infusion, getting an extra +2 to damage, to a total of +19 damage (or "just" +9 if you aren't taking the penalty on attack rolls). Also, if you're a Battlesmith, at level 9 you get Arcane Jolt, letting you add 2d6 force damage to your attacks with magic weapons once per turn (a number of times equal to your INT modifier per long rest), further increasing your damage output.

By not continuing taking Artificer, you'd also lose out on 3rd level spell slots, your subclass feature, and spellstoring item. In my experience, Artificer is the sort of class that really shines in Tier 3 and 4, what with all the tricks you accumulate over the first 10 levels, and is absolutely worth sticking to.

So, in short, I'd keep going pure Artificer. Take Sharpshooter for your level 8 ASI, and max INT at level 12. Your to-hit bonus is going to be pretty damn good anyways thanks to Battle Ready, and so is your damage bonus. After level 12, you may consider a dip in Fighter to get Archery fighting style, but at that point I'd wait for level 16 and take it as a feat, but even if your campaign doesn't go to such a high level, you should be more than happy with a single-classed Artificer.

Good points thanks, think I’ll take the advice! :)

stoutstien
2022-08-26, 07:15 AM
3: Rogue 1 level for expertise & sneak attack and 1 more skill, same ASI’s/feats as 1.

Absolutely no idea which option to go with and should ding 6 after next session so could need some advice. :)

Edit: 1&4 option also gives acccess to level 4 spells as adventure goes to level 13

Thanks to infusions and mobility you can put off the archery style for a long time or skip it altogether even if you want to use SS.
While both the rogue and fighter dip are nice it's painful to delay artificer. They have so many nice features every few levels it's hard to rationalize it.

A different option is to go for two intelligence half feats. It will delay your modifier awhile but stuff like fey touched goes a long way in half casters.

Spacehamster
2022-08-26, 07:41 AM
Thanks to infusions and mobility you can put off the archery style for a long time or skip it altogether even if you want to use SS.
While both the rogue and fighter dip are nice it's painful to delay artificer. They have so many nice features every few levels it's hard to rationalize it.

A different option is to go for two intelligence half feats. It will delay your modifier awhile but stuff like fey touched goes a long way in half casters.

Already have fey touched from level 4 to even out INT to 18. :)

stoutstien
2022-08-26, 11:42 AM
Already have fey touched from level 4 to even out INT to 18. :)

In that case max int. If anything that extra FoG goes a long way everyday.

Pildion
2022-08-26, 11:58 AM

Edit: 1&4 option also gives access to level 4 spells as adventure goes to level 13

One of my favorite ranged Artificers is the Armorer believe it or not. If you can go Gobo and get your BA hide with Dampening Field for crazy good stealthing around. Lightning Launcher is a 1d6, but ends up 2d6 on both shots by lvl 15. I would grab 14 Dex, but use Skill Expert to get expertise in stealth and move Int from 17->18@4, then grab SS@8, finishing off Int@12.

You can always re-flavor things, if you want to use a bow, just have Lightning Launcher become Lightning Bow?

Spacehamster
2022-08-26, 12:53 PM
One of my favorite ranged Artificers is the Armorer believe it or not. If you can go Gobo and get your BA hide with Dampening Field for crazy good stealthing around. Lightning Launcher is a 1d6, but ends up 2d6 on both shots by lvl 15. I would grab 14 Dex, but use Skill Expert to get expertise in stealth and move Int from 17->18@4, then grab SS@8, finishing off Int@12.

You can always re-flavor things, if you want to use a bow, just have Lightning Launcher become Lightning Bow?

Well hard being a armorer when you are a level 5 battlesmith. ;)

Psyren
2022-08-27, 02:47 PM

You can also wear a shield as an Infiltrator Armorer for even more AC.

Naanomi
2022-08-27, 03:20 PM
Heck, a goblin infiltrator who focuses on DEX instead of INT is probably the best stealth character in the game

Person_Man
2022-08-27, 08:00 PM
Agree that the best artificer is usually a straight artificer without multiclassing.

For me though, if my goal was ranged damage, Warlock, Cleric, Sorcerer, or Wizard would probably get higher numbers, since they’re all full casters backed up by strong ranged cantrips buffed by class abilities.

The main benefit of artificer, IMO, is the very high AC, and being Int SAD, backed up by good ranged attacks, skills, and half casting from a good list. IIRC, a warforged Armorer artificer can get 24 AC with no Str requirement.

stoutstien
2022-08-28, 05:40 AM
Agree that the best artificer is usually a straight artificer without multiclassing.

For me though, if my goal was ranged damage, Warlock, Cleric, Sorcerer, or Wizard would probably get higher numbers, since they’re all full casters backed up by strong ranged cantrips buffed by class abilities.

The main benefit of artificer, IMO, is the very high AC, and being Int SAD, backed up by good ranged attacks, skills, and half casting from a good list. IIRC, a warforged Armorer artificer can get 24 AC with no Str requirement.

Artificer lack burst or nova damage potential but have above average sustainable and overall it's cheaper opportunity costs wise. For example if you looked at a lv 5 battlesmith with a repeating H crossbow and a +3 Int they can hit an AC of 14 for about 15.25 per action before factoring in the steel defender. If a ranged fighter wanted to have that much substantial output they would need to spend a feat, a fighting style, and limit themselves to a single weapon type.

Pressure and support is the best way to describe the artificer.

Mastikator
2022-08-28, 05:46 AM
Heck, a goblin infiltrator who focuses on DEX instead of INT is probably the best stealth character in the game

IMO just about the same as a ranger with pass without trace. (basically undetectable :smallcool:)

Person_Man
2022-08-28, 07:48 PM
Artificer lack burst or nova damage potential but have above average sustainable and overall it's cheaper opportunity costs wise. For example if you looked at a lv 5 battlesmith with a repeating H crossbow and a +3 Int they can hit an AC of 14 for about 15.25 per action before factoring in the steel defender. If a ranged fighter wanted to have that much substantial output they would need to spend a feat, a fighting style, and limit themselves to a single weapon type.

Pressure and support is the best way to describe the artificer.

That's true. But from a metagame perspective, I just personally prefer having at-will abilities which are good-ish, with high burst damage and/or encounter winning spells/effects in my back pocket for when I need it. DM is less likely to make every encounter harder, and its just more fun (for me) to play.

Frogreaver
2022-08-28, 08:16 PM
IMO, the answer is Sharpshooter at level 8 and continue in artificer.

stoutstien
2022-08-29, 03:53 AM
That's true. But from a metagame perspective, I just personally prefer having at-will abilities which are good-ish, with high burst damage and/or encounter winning spells/effects in my back pocket for when I need it. DM is less likely to make every encounter harder, and its just more fun (for me) to play.

Hammer and anvil. As far as the metagame is concerned individually they're both nice but together they're fantastic. When I do get the play I almost always play an anvil which is why I like artificer. It's also why I like warlocks because they have the capacity to be either or depending on different opportunities. I just moved away from playing anything close to full casting because they lack challenge.

Greywander
2022-08-29, 10:17 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Battle Smiths are one of the few builds that can use a hand crossbow with a shield thanks to Repeating Shot. Add CE for that BA attack and you have pretty decent damage output, from range, with sword'n'board AC.

Psyren
2022-08-29, 10:33 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Battle Smiths are one of the few builds that can use a hand crossbow with a shield thanks to Repeating Shot. Add CE for that BA attack and you have pretty decent damage output, from range, with sword'n'board AC.

This is particularly good for multiclass BS builds since their steel defender will likely be behind the curve.