PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a whip dual wielder?

Spacehamster
2022-08-27, 05:27 AM
Sub optimal for sure but it sounds like fun, with the low damage die you would need other sources of damage, I were thinking something like 5 ranger —> 2 Paladin—> 13 arcane trickster custom lineage 13/17/11/8/13/13 dual wielder at 1, slasher at 4, max DEX at 11, 1 CON and WIS at 15, mobile at 17 & 2 CON at 19.

Anyone with a less MAD build for dual whips? Could replace ranger with 6 levels samurai and make it 6 sam, 2 pal and 12 AT I suppose that way you can skip 13 WIS need.

Just for fun not needing an actual build, just never seen anyone run a whip user is all. :)

Bobthewizard
2022-08-27, 06:15 AM
Let's go with Paladin 2/Swords bard X. You get extra attack, two weapon fighting, and lots of spell slots for smiting.

Variant human for the dual wielding feat at 1.

Str 15+1/Dex10/Con13/Int8/Wis10/Cha15+1

At paladin 2 take either defense or blind fighting. At bard 3, take two weapon fighting.

For ASI's, increase STR then CHA to 18, then Res. CON.

Extra attack is late, but once you hit level 8, you are in great shape.

stoutstien
2022-08-27, 06:43 AM
if the atheistic of duel whips is the goal you don't actually need to invest in two weapon fighting if you have extra attack. Just alternate which one you attack with.

Damon_Tor
2022-08-27, 06:56 AM
I've done this with a barbarian/rogue. I re-fluffed the weapons as a single length of spiked chain.

Spacehamster
2022-08-27, 07:57 AM
Let's go with Paladin 2/Swords bard X. You get extra attack, two weapon fighting, and lots of spell slots for smiting.

Variant human for the dual wielding feat at 1.

Str 15+1/Dex10/Con13/Int8/Wis10/Cha15+1

At paladin 2 take either defense or blind fighting. At bard 3, take two weapon fighting.

For ASI's, increase STR then CHA to 18, then Res. CON.

Extra attack is late, but once you hit level 8, you are in great shape.

Damn forgot about swords bard, nice amount of smite slots and much better spell progression, I like it! Would not custom lineage be better tho with stat spread: 17/8/15/8/8/15, that way you get darkvision, pick a half feat to even STR first, 2nd ASI you make CON and CHA 16. :)

Naanomi
2022-08-27, 09:42 AM
A DM I played with didn't like that Kensai had to unarmed attack to activate their abilities, so houseruled it out. One of the players chose to be a dual-whip using gladiator Kensai

Arkhios
2022-08-27, 09:51 AM
Kensei Monk (or any monk starting from second level with the Dedicated Weapon optional feature and proficiency by other means) could get higher damage die with a whip, since they get to treat their weapons as monk weapons, and as such, they can use Martial Arts damage die instead.

EggKookoo
2022-08-27, 11:02 AM
I had a player do this for the flavor with a bard, using basic dual wielding (this was before College of Swords). Damage output wasn't great but the player stuck with it. I eventually rewarded him by creating a custom pair of magical whips. If he successfully hit the same target with each whip on the same turn, the target had to make a Dex save (kind of like a concentration check) or be either knocked prone or pulled 10' toward the wielder (wielder's choice). Didn't do anything to help with the damage output but he had a lot of fun with it!

JellyPooga
2022-08-27, 11:56 AM
I've done this with a barbarian/rogue. I re-fluffed the weapons as a single length of spiked chain.

I was going to suggest Barb/Rog myself. The damage bonus from Rage mitigates the low damage dice of the whip and Sneak Attack benefits greatly from multiple attacks (due to higher proc chance on getting a hit). It's also a highly synergistic MC and offers options on whether you TWF or S&B.

Naanomi
2022-08-27, 12:09 PM
Fighter/Swashbuckler multiclass would be a good angle perhaps

ImproperJustice
2022-08-30, 10:27 PM
I’ve done it with a Monster Slayer Ranger so I could go full Belmont.
Highly recommend.