PDA

View Full Version : a currently unnamed barb subclass

oogaboogagoblin
2022-08-29, 09:53 AM
Lvl 3
While you are wearing heavy armor:
-Allies behind you get half cover from attacks coming from your direction

-as a reaction you can make a ranged attack meant for someone within 5 ft of you target you instead

-while raging, you have advantage on saves against being knocked prone or in any way moved with physical force

Lvl 6
-you get a number of charges equal to your strength modifier, as a reaction, you can spend one to block a spell with an area of effect, line spells simply stop where you are, but with other spells, people within a 30 ft cone behind you are unaffected (EX: someone casts fireball, robert the rouge is closer to them, but tim the wizard is behind you, robert gets incinerated, but you part the fireball so tim is unaffected)

Lvl 10
While raging, if you run into someone with 20 ft head start, you can spend a bonus action to make them make a str saving throw (dc is 8+str+proficiency), on a failure they are either knocked prone or knocked away 10 ft in any direction

Lvl 14
As an action, you can roar a challenge to the field, every single opponent within 60 ft has to make a WIS saving throw or target you and nobody else, at the end of each of their turns they can make the save again

i havent done this in forever so sorry if it doesnt make total sense

GalacticAxekick
2022-08-30, 12:20 PM
Lvl 3
While you are wearing heavy armor:Barbarians lose all the benefits of Rage while wearing heavy armor. If your 3rd level feature is going to encourage heavy armor, it should get rid of that penalty too.

-Allies behind you get half cover from attacks coming from your directionAllies behind ANYONE get half cover from attacks coming from their direction. This feature doesn't do anything.

-as a reaction you can make a ranged attack meant for someone within 5 ft of you target you insteadWhy only ranged attacks? Why not melee attacks too?

-while raging, you have advantage on saves against being knocked prone or in any way moved with physical forceRaging already gives advantage on Strength saves, which the majority of forced movement effects rely on. So this feature does almost nothing. I would replace it with a feature that says "while raging, you cannot be knocked prone or forcibly moved".

Lvl 6
-you get a number of charges equal to your strength modifier, as a reaction, you can spend one to block a spell with an area of effect, line spells simply stop where you are, but with other spells, people within a 30 ft cone behind you are unaffected (EX: someone casts fireball, robert the rouge is closer to them, but tim the wizard is behind you, robert gets incinerated, but you part the fireball so tim is unaffected) I would give this unlimited uses, and I would rephrase this:

"When you grant a target cover against an area effect, that target is completely unaffected."

Much simpler.

Lvl 10
While raging, if you run into someone with 20 ft head start, you can spend a bonus action to make them make a str saving throw (dc is 8+str+proficiency), on a failure they are either knocked prone or knocked away 10 ft in any directionSure.

Lvl 14
As an action, you can roar a challenge to the field, every single opponent within 60 ft has to make a WIS saving throw or target you and nobody else, at the end of each of their turns they can make the save againI'm not a fan of "taunt" effects that force enemies to target the player. They just don't make thematic sense, unless they're magical.

But I digress. In terms of balance, enemies should become immune to this effect after succeeding on a save, so that the Barbarian can't spam it and stop them from every attacking his allies.

Have a look at my Barbarian Rewrite (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/wHP8aX22f). The Stoic subclass does most of what you designed this subclass to do, so maybe you could take inspiration from it.