PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew spells (5e)

Illven
2022-08-29, 12:57 PM
Here is a starting list for some custom spells.

Heather's Fortune
4th level divination
Components V, S
Target One creature touched.
Duration 8 hours
Classes Wizard. Sorcerer

You touch a creature and bless it with good fortune. The creature gains 4 charges. A creature may use a charge to reroll a attack roll, ability check, or saving throw after seeing the roll. They may also use a charge to make a creature that attacks them re roll the attack roll. They may also use a charge to make a single creature reroll a saving throw against a spell or effect that they cast or use.

JNAProductions
2022-08-29, 01:02 PM
Here is a starting list for some custom spells.

Heather's Fortune
4th level divination
Components V, S
Target One creature touched.
Duration 8 hours
Classes Wizard. Sorcerer

You touch a creature and bless it with good fortune. The creature gains 4 charges. A creature may use a charge to reroll a attack roll, ability check, or saving throw after seeing the roll. They may also use a charge to make a creature that attacks them re roll the attack roll. They may also use a charge to make a single creature reroll a saving throw against a spell or effect that they cast or use.

It's like Silvery Barbs, in that it's not (dis)advantage, it's just a reroll. I'd recommend altering the wording to either make it ONE extra d20 (even if the original roll had advantage or disadvantage) or make it clear that you reroll with (dis)advantage if the original roll had it.

As far as the actual balance... It's similar to Shield in that I don't see this being used at 7th level much. Using your highest level slot on four rerolls is probably not worth it. But, as you level higher, 4th level slots become relatively cheaper, making it more worth it for the insurance, except in REALLY long adventuring days.

I'd also change it to allow it to upcast, probably one extra charge per slot level higher. (So five at 5th, six at 6th, etc.) Oh! And add wording so it doesn't stack with itself.

Overall... I'd allow it in my games, with the understanding that it's subject to change should it prove problematic. But as a 4th level spell, I don't think it would be.

Illven
2022-08-29, 01:04 PM
It's like Silvery Barbs, in that it's not (dis)advantage, it's just a reroll. I'd recommend altering the wording to either make it ONE extra d20 (even if the original roll had advantage or disadvantage) or make it clear that you reroll with (dis)advantage if the original roll had it.

As far as the actual balance... It's similar to Shield in that I don't see this being used at 7th level much. Using your highest level slot on four rerolls is probably not worth it. But, as you level higher, 4th level slots become relatively cheaper, making it more worth it for the insurance, except in REALLY long adventuring days.

I'd also change it to allow it to upcast, probably one extra charge per slot level higher. (So five at 5th, six at 6th, etc.) Oh! And add wording so it doesn't stack with itself.

Overall... I'd allow it in my games, with the understanding that it's subject to change should it prove problematic. But as a 4th level spell, I don't think it would be.

I'm of the understanding that EVERY spell doesn't stack with itself.

JNAProductions
2022-08-29, 01:05 PM
I'm of the understanding that EVERY spell doesn't stack with itself.

Generally the case, but this isn't that similar to other game mechanics. One could argue that they overlap, don't stack, but that's effectively the same thing.

Then again, it's homebrew, so any table that uses it should have the understanding of "Don't abuse it" so it's probably fine.