PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for good items for a Monk that aren’t worn?

prototype00
2022-08-29, 09:36 PM
I’m considering a monk based on Treantmonk’s suggestion of a naked Plasmoid who squeezes into a container for full cover every round after they have delivered their attacks.

Currently I’m thinking of magic items that might not be worn that are good for this kind of thing:

- Magic Tattoos (Eldritch Claw is especially good)
- Stat Tomes
- Ioun Stones

Anything else come to mind?

I guess of course the container can be magical.

Mastikator
2022-08-31, 07:41 AM
Also to consider: items that are smaller than 1 inch, kept inside the plasmoids body. Eye of Vecna comes to mind.

Psyren
2022-08-31, 10:57 AM
Just in case you're defaulting to monk because you see it as your only option, remember that:

1) Dropping items from your "hands" is a nonaction, and picking them up again is an object interaction - so you can drop, say, a spell focus or a repeating bow outside your container and pick it up again every round when you re-emerge, while still having your action and bonus action free to use it. This will let you employ the container tactic while shooting or casting spells each round. The only downside is that while you're inside, an enemy might be able to interact with them too (snatching them up or kicking them away) - but if you're at the back of the party then that shouldn't be an issue. This opens up most of the caster options.

2) If your container has a tiny opening like a keyhole that you can see out of, you can continue to direct pets and summons while protected. This will likely result in 3/4 cover rather than total cover but that's still a huge defensive buff.

3) Barbarian can also be a decent unarmed/naked option for Plasmoid - especially Beast, which gets magical natural attacks built in as well as unarmored AC.

4) Check with your DM whether a Moon Druid Plasmoid can still use their Amorphous quality while Wild Shaped - many animal forms have extremely fast movement speeds. Combine with the Mobile feat and you can employ very difficult to counter hit and run tactics by jumping out of your container, mauling an enemy, and jumping back in each round.