PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Question concerning afterlife in Forgotten Realms, and preservation of Identity

Runa_Dacino
2022-08-30, 04:32 AM
Hello!

The Planescape sourcebooks describe afterlife as a pretty horrendous ordeal - you are cleansed of your identity, your memories, your very sense of self and turn into a petitioner. That petitioner is then molded by whatever plane they exist upon. In Planescape, there might as well be no afterlife.

In Forgotten Realms, I only know of a few explicit examples regarding identity:

Oghma/House of Knowledge: Identity, sense of self is eradicated. Memories in form of skills are retained so that you may write books about them, but without emotional context of why or how you learned them. A pretty... abysmal existence in my opinion.

Seldarine/Arvandor/Arvanaith: Identity, sense of self & memories are retained in full. Personality is adjusted by having all emotions feel more intense, more colourful - but it's still you. According to Ed Greenwood on Twitter, even Sehanine reincarnation does not wipe this: you cannot access your full identity/memories after being reincarnated, but it informs your actions as a mortal before you return to Arvandor again. However, Ed Greenwood's post is not specific to 3.5E, and for 3.5E we only have 2E and 3.5E lore to cite directly - where we only know of Reincarnation for elves being a thing (or rather, something followers of Sehanine/Angharradh may believe in). Still, I'll more than happily consider Ed Greenwood's little twitter reply to be applicable for 3.5E, considering there's no reason for why the Seldarine would change between 1300s and 1400s.

Valkur/Selune/Sune/Halfling Pantheon: Nothing explicit is mentioned about Identity, Sense of self. I'd argue, because they are Chaotic Good Deities - their afterlife ought to be similar to the Seldarine and Arvandor - since Chaotic Good is specifically about respecting Individualism, celebrating the unique nature of each and every entity, finding harmony and strength in their differences, collaborating and helping each other to let others fully express themselves. Selune in specific mentions that her plane affects the petitioners by making their moods/emotions mercurial - following phases of the moon. This does not seem entirely contradictory to the way Arvandor is described.

Tempus's realm is described as an eternal battle field. Valkur's is similar, albeit for ships to sail and maybe fight. I can't see a reason why Tempus, as CN, would wipe identity and individuality either.

For Lawful Neutral deities, we can probably extrapolate Oghma to be generally applicable in vibes.

This leaves Lawful Good, Neutral Good, True Neutral, and evil alignments as non-specified. For Evil, best I know of would be the Lower Planes, which mean identity death.

Do you agree with my assesment on CG/CN? Do you by chance have official lore, sourcebooks for 2E/3.5E that is Forgotten-Realms specific concerning what life is like as a petitioner? Would you accept Ed Greenwood's twitter posts as a source of lore?

Biggus
2022-08-30, 09:04 AM
Certainly your assessment seems logical for CG, with CN I'm less sure but it seems reasonable.

I read the other day (but have already forgotten where, probably BoVD) that in very rare cases a soul which is exceptionally evil and strong-willed may be changed straight into a higher form of demon or devil rather than having their identity obliterated.

hamishspence
2022-08-30, 09:18 AM
From the 3.0 to 3.5 era FRCS (Fugue Plane section):

Within the Fugue Plane lurk small enclaves of baatezu. By agreement with Kelemvor, they cannot harm or trick the waiting souls. However, the devils are allowed to explain to the souls that they are dead and awaiting the arrival of a divine messenger to take them back to their deity's realm. At this point, the devils attempt to bargain with souls.
In exchange for consigning themselves to the Nine Hells, souls may be offered early promotions from lemure to another form of devil, material riches for friends or family back on Faerun, or the execution of devilish attacks on their still-living enemies. Exceptionally powerful souls may bargain for automatic transformation into something other than a lemure.

And from Fiendish Codex 1:

Ahm asserts that a particularly evil—and powerful—individual can make a bargain with Demogorgon or Orcus, promising to serve that prince faithfully in life, in exchange for guaranteed rebirth as a powerful demon after death. He does clarify that these demonic reincarnations appear to be the exception rather than the rule.

Biggus
2022-08-30, 12:19 PM
From the 3.0 to 3.5 era FRCS (Fugue Plane section):

And from Fiendish Codex 1:

Ah, thank you. Those aren't actually the quotations I read but they answer the OP's question better anyway.

Runa_Dacino
2022-08-31, 11:39 AM
Thank you for replies!

So one could argue - if you're so evil even the likes of Tempus or Mask (if we use their 5E alignment) won't take you in... your best bet barring changing your life is to be extremely evil and become either a Lich, or impress your way into direct fienddom, skipping the larval stage or getting caught in the realms of the likes of Lolth.

Metastachydium
2022-08-31, 12:12 PM
Well, as (I think) the Giant himself said somewhere, we are talking about settings where Evil kind of has to be a valid life choice for some, so that makes sense, after a fashion.

Biggus
2022-08-31, 07:49 PM
Thank you for replies!

So one could argue - if you're so evil even the likes of Tempus or Mask (if we use their 5E alignment) won't take you in... your best bet barring changing your life is to be extremely evil and become either a Lich, or impress your way into direct fienddom, skipping the larval stage or getting caught in the realms of the likes of Lolth.

That does kind of fit with the whole "Wall of the Faithless" thing, FR doesn't seem to like people who can't make their minds up. If you're going to be evil, don't do it by halves!