PDA

View Full Version : Need Help the Net has failed me

Stormborn1929
2022-08-30, 07:10 PM
Hello and well met! I have read every R. A. Salvatore Drizzt book he has written. I am a huge fan of DnD and have recently went to 5th edition from 3.5 (forced due to lack of real world games for 3.5 in my area. I am forever the DM and am trying to lern the 5e stuff but I would like help with creating legit, makes sense stats for the Companions of the Hall.

Drizzt
Bruenor Battlehammer
Wulfgar
Cattie-Brie
Regis

They are a huge part of my world and knowing the levels and stats of each based on the closest to book they can be would be a MAJOR benifet for my game worlds flow.

Thank you for the help in advance

Stormborn1929

Lord Raziere
2022-08-30, 07:28 PM
oh....that....hm.

I'll help.

Drizzt can probably be statted as a Gloomstalker or Beastmaster Ranger with dual-wielding, 16th level, (why 16? that was his stats in third edition (https://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/drizzt-3rd.htm) and he never got a statblock after apparently)

so assuming everyone else is also level 16, Bruenor is a fighter of some kind, probably champion, Wulfgar is a path of berserker barbarian, Regis is probably a thief rogue, and Catti-Brie....is complicated. she was originally a fighter, became a wizard, but then in her second life is according to my source, a "Cleric/Sorceress"? Salvatore make up your mind! But she is generally a long range person with a bow from what I've known of her and continued range combat with magic, haven't read the latest books so I'm not sure what she is doing in her second life, if you've read all of them you probably know better than me what Catti-Brie is doing and thus stat her better than I can.

Warder
2022-08-31, 03:48 AM
I'd put Drizzt as a Fighter/Ranger (Gloomstalker or Hunter)/Monk, with the most levels in Fighter and the least in Monk. Maybe an 11/3/2 level spread. Though he should probably have Deflect Missiles, so 3 levels in Monk might be more appropriate. It's fine if Drizzt is higher level than the others, he was alive and adventuring while the others were dead. He has Twinkle, Icingdeath, a belt of ogre strength, a cloak of elvenkind, mithral chainmail and he wears bracers of speed on his legs which is really weird. He also has Taulmaril which generates lightning arrows, and of course a figurine of wondrous power to summon Guenhwywar.

Bruenor is a pure Fighter, probably Champion but I could see an argument for Rune Knight too, to reflect when he calls on the power of Moradin. Bruenor has a flametongue axe and a magical shield that Salvatore keeps reminding us can summon mugs of ale - I know his helm is magical too, but I can't remember what it does.

Wulfgar is pure Barbarian, either Berserker or Totem Warrior (Elk) - but I don't think Totem Warrior really fits, despite his tribe's connection. Other than Aegis-Fang, he also has a magical Horn of Valhalla (Silver).

Regis is a Rogue (Assassin) in his second life, and super edgy. He's far more capable in his second life than he was in his first. He has a really weird dagger I wouldn't even know how to begin to stat out. It has prongs that turn into snakes that turn into a garrotte held by a lich? It's weird. But he also has a hat of disguise styled as a beret.

Finally Cattie-Brie, who is really overpowered in her second life. She's supposed to have arcane & divine magic (both as a cleric and a druid), to the power of an archmage. I think it's easiest to have her as a single-classed Sorcerer (Divine Soul), as she's the Chosen of Mielikki. She got a TON of magic items during a very short time span and I struggle to remember it all - I think it was all the cool stuff you drool over as a caster; Robe of the Archmage, Staff of the Magi (though more likely it was a custom thing, it has both arcane and divine magic infusing it) and a Ring of Elemental Command. She also has spellscars that seem to be entirely beneficial for even more magic.

Sorry about the lack of specifics - I think it's very safe to give all of these characters 20 in their main stat, put their levels around ~15 and make special exceptions like giving them more HP or expertise in skills you feel fit. They're clearly written as an adventuring party with a very generous DM, and I think that is the mindset to have while statting them out to most closely fit the fiction.

Keravath
2022-08-31, 10:34 AM
One thing to keep in mind in 5e is that NPCs and PCs do not use the same creation systems or follow the same rules (unless the DM wants to run it that way). As a result there is no requirement to keep stats to 20 or even use PC classes to obtain an NPC with the abilities you want. If you want Drizzt to be able to do everything in the books then you give him features with those abilities and work out the NPC stats to reflect the CR you think the NPC should be. Good references to take a look at are the MM, MMotM, and the DMG.

Here is a link to a Drizzt version on the WotC site using a PC template (It seems to be from their dragon publication but personally, I would likely put Drizzt higher than level 8).

https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_5_Drizzt.pdf

There is also this alternate on D&D Beyond (which is clearly unofficial but the article goes into why there are so many possible versions of Drizzt depending on what folks think).

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1027-drizzt-introducing-the-iconic-hero-of-dark

Good luck!

Stormborn1929
2022-08-31, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys for the info been really helpful to open up the machine