PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Gestalt-specific prestige classes

Biggus
2022-08-30, 10:40 PM
From the SRD (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm):

The high-powered nature of the gestalt character variant gives you more room to create unique prestige classes. First, you can create narrowly specialized prestige classes, and they’ll still be compelling choices for PCs because the characters can simultaneously advance in a regular class while taking levels in the prestige class. Players won’t feel shoehorned into a very specific prestige class if they have another class they’re also advancing in. Second, you can create truly outrageous prestige classes-but add the additional cost that such classes take up both class choices for gestalt characters. For example, a prestige class that offered a d12 Hit Die, +1/level base attack bonus, two good saves, full spellcasting, and a host of class features would be completely unbalanced in a standard game. But if it takes up both “class slots” for a gestalt characters, it’s no more powerful than taking a level in the barbarian/wizard gestalt.

Has anyone ever made any classes using like this? If so what did you come up with?

Rynjin
2022-08-30, 10:45 PM
I've run gestalt games in Pathfinder where people were allowed to take 1st party Prestige Classes that are essentially this. Stuff like Rage Prophet (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/apg/rage-prophet/) (a Barbarian/Oracle multiclass PrC) and Champion of the Enlightened (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/champion-of-the-enlightened/) (a Monk/Paladin PrC).

It wasn't really unbalancing to a notable degree, so as long as you don't go overboard with custom ones it shouldn't be an issue.

If I was going to make more custom ones, more Alchemist and Inquisitor love would be nice. Maybe both! Get that MAD life going. Actually Investigator and Inquisitor mix quite well. Might be an idea for homebrew in a future game.

Rebel7284
2022-08-31, 03:58 AM
I've heard it suggested that True Necromancer being made into a full caster progression class while taking both sides of the gestalt would be a fun way to experience the fun class features of True Necro without all the fail.

ixrisor
2022-08-31, 10:32 PM
I've heard it suggested that True Necromancer being made into a full caster progression class while taking both sides of the gestalt would be a fun way to experience the fun class features of True Necro without all the fail.

You can technically do this already - just take levels of wizard or cleric on the “other side” of the gestalt to fill any casting gaps.

Particle_Man
2022-09-01, 01:42 AM
Not quite what you mean, but I think that Arcane Archer might shine in a gestalt build, if the "other half" is wizard. Being able to shoot off 9th level spells with imbued arrows has some attractions.

So maybe a souped up Arcane Archer?

Feantar
2022-09-01, 03:32 PM
Not quite what you mean, but I think that Arcane Archer might shine in a gestalt build, if the "other half" is wizard. Being able to shoot off 9th level spells with imbued arrows has some attractions.

Thinth you are thutch a powe'full wizard, grampa Merlin, why do you use a bow?

Because I can boy. *Puts on Spectacles* Because. I. Can.

https://c.tenor.com/9CJv-GsN6s4AAAAM/csi-miami-sunglasses.gif

Jervis
2022-09-01, 03:59 PM

That’s pretty solid actually. Wizard x | Fighter 6/ Arcane Archer 10 is really good. Wizard + AA gives full BAB and all good saves and slots nicely into a archer gish with nice +5 arrows. Probably not the best way to make that in a gestalt but it seems pretty nice

Rebel7284
2022-09-01, 09:29 PM
That’s pretty solid actually. Wizard x | Fighter 6/ Arcane Archer 10 is really good. Wizard + AA gives full BAB and all good saves and slots nicely into a archer gish with nice +5 arrows. Probably not the best way to make that in a gestalt but it seems pretty nice

On that note, a Dragon Disciple might be a solid class for something like this. Give it full BAB and make it progress casting (spontaneous arcane casting perhaps) and it becomes a solid class. For higher power, maybe also add some other dragon-y things like all good saves or perhaps some Dragonfire Adept things.

ixrisor
2022-09-02, 08:23 AM
Thinth you are thutch a powe'full wizard, grampa Merlin, why do you use a bow?

Because I can boy. *Puts on Spectacles* Because. I. Can.

There are actually some things an arcane archer can do that a normal wizard can’t, because they can use emanation and area spells at range even if they’re normally self-targeted. This is most useful for shooting someone with an antimagic sphere arrow and turning off all their buffs and items while you can still cast spells at them.

Feantar
2022-09-03, 11:19 PM
There are actually some things an arcane archer can do that a normal wizard can’t, because they can use emanation and area spells at range even if they’re normally self-targeted. This is most useful for shooting someone with an antimagic sphere arrow and turning off all their buffs and items while you can still cast spells at them.

That's sounds so interesting... I think I might actually do something with this, thank you.