PDA

View Full Version : Goliath Seafarer

cartejos
2022-08-31, 05:20 PM
Low to mid optimization

I find the Harpoon from Frostburn pretty cool and wanted to make a character for them.

I am aware of the Melee Harpoon from one of the MM, but the damaging secondary effect of pulling the Harpoon out was nerfed a bit (1D10, rather than Initial Attack Damage)

I want to make a character that utilizes a few different weapons.

To start with the Goliaths first level is Exoticist with MWP (Trident).

32 PB- Str:14(18) Dex: 17(15) Con: 12(14) Int: 13 Wis: 12 Cha: 8

Stats are set up to be able to spec into Improved Trip and Net and Trident.

I have 3 of the 4 weapons picked out as: Harpoon, Net, Spiked Chain

Looking for other Exotic Weapons with seafaring flavor or with Debuffs built into them.

Other tactical tips or feat suggestions (other than standard PA, CR, IT)

Particle_Man
2022-08-31, 06:47 PM
Would the dire flail, being disarm and trip friendly, count as an exotic weapon with debuffs built into it? Spiked chain covers similar ground but dire flail would give you more bites at that apple.

Anthrowhale
2022-08-31, 07:22 PM
Would the dire flail, being disarm and trip friendly, count as an exotic weapon with debuffs built into it? Spiked chain covers similar ground but dire flail would give you more bites at that apple.

Dire flail has the dire flail smash feat from champions of ruin which creates a 1 round daze. In the same vein, the Boomerang Daze feat is even nastier since the save DC is damage based.

cartejos
2022-08-31, 09:43 PM
I am leaning more towards the Xen'drik Boomerang to get a little bit more of a long range Debuff, the Harpoon can only restrict creatures within 30' (I'm pretty sure) so the boomerang being able to daze outside of that 30' seems very useful.

Saintheart
2022-09-01, 03:57 AM

Instant way to make an exotic weapon out of a normal weapon is to make the exotic weapon a Heavy weapon (MoF) of gold or platinum. Increases the damage dice by 1 (more or less) and requires that you have EWP in that weapon specifically to wield it without a -4. A Dire Flail would become a Heavy Dire Flail with an EWP (Heavy Dire Flail) required to wield it.

Anthrowhale
2022-09-01, 07:33 AM
I am leaning more towards the Xen'drik Boomerang to get a little bit more of a long range Debuff, the Harpoon can only restrict creatures within 30' (I'm pretty sure) so the boomerang being able to daze outside of that 30' seems very useful.

For Boomerangs, you may want to look into Master Thrower 5's 'Weak Spot' which converts thrown attacks into a touch attacks vs. targets your size or larger. That, combined with Power Throw (complete adventurer) can give you good odds of dazing enemies.

A sometimes-more-elegant alternative to Power Throw is Windup from Dragon #304 since it avoids needing the prerequisite Brutal Throw.