PDA

View Full Version : What if: racial features based on classes

yisopo
2022-09-01, 03:03 AM
I know this is too far from DnD 5e, so it is not an option for One DnD. But it does not cost anything to dream. :smallbiggrin:

I recently read the rules of Dungeon World and I really like the idea that each race have a special feature based on the class you choose.

For example, if you choose Fighter, here the races with their features:

Dwarf: When you share a drink with someone, you may parley with them using CON instead of CHA.
Elf: Choose one weapon—you can always treat weapons of that type as if they had the precise tag.
Halfling: When you defy danger and use your small size to your advantage, take +1.
Human: Once per battle you may reroll a single damage roll (yours or someone else’s).

Another example for Druid:

Elf: The sap of the elder trees flows within you. In addition to any other attunements, the Great Forest is always considered your land.
Human: As your people learned to bind animals to field and farm, so too are you bound to them. You may always take the shape of any domesticated animal, in addition to your normal options.
Halfling: You sing the healing songs of spring and brook. When you make camp, you and your allies heal +1d6.

No need for multiple racial features, but only a distinctive one for each class. So each race can give something unique to the class we want to play. What do you think? I personally love this solution!

Silly Name
2022-09-01, 03:34 AM
D&D previously tried something similar back in 3.5, with Alternative Class Features tied to race - basically, if you were an Elf, instead of taking your third level in Wizard, you took that level as a Elf Wizard, getting slightly different features (didn't count as multiclassing, just taking a specific race-locked feature instead of the standard one).

The DW system is certainly smoother, and probably easier to design. Considering D&D 5e has avoided the class bloat of older editions, we can probably expect the same of One D&D, so coming up with 13 "ribbon" abilities tied to your race/class combo wouldn't be too hard.

Anymage
2022-09-01, 03:25 PM
Dungeon World doesn't have nearly the same level of content out there that D&D does. If every race had powers depending on their class that'd make every race take significantly longer, and if WotC wants to add another class that'd be a massive pain to backfit.

Still, there is a fair bit of merit to the idea for when 6e eventually rolls around. I'm not sure how well the idea would fit into 5e (feat slots are rare and have a lot of competition, so it's hard to put out new ones that don't get ignored in favor of meta ones but that don't become strong enough to become meta on their own), but racial feats would fill a lot of the same concept space. Let you play up the strengths of your race as they're relevant to your character.

MrStabby
2022-09-01, 04:02 PM
I would like to see something like classes having features like "take another racial ability" and races to have a list of abilities - so you might pick up 2 out of 5 at character creaion then pick up more as you go in.

Asmotherion
2022-09-01, 05:26 PM
I would like to see something like classes having features like "take another racial ability" and races to have a list of abilities - so you might pick up 2 out of 5 at character creaion then pick up more as you go in.
May I interest you in PF2e? Because that's more or less how it works.

MrStabby
2022-09-01, 05:43 PM
May I interest you in PF2e? Because that's more or less how it works.

Oh cool. I hd been meaning to take a look at it at some point. How is the rest of it?

Psyren
2022-09-01, 05:54 PM
Yeah Pathfinder does this with favored class bonuses. So a half-orc Druid might have slightly tougher armor while wildshaped, while a human druid might have an easier time influencing animal attitudes, and a halfling druid might be able to bestow some of his luck on his animal companion, but if you don't want those bonuses you can opt for more generic ones available to any race like more hit points or skills.

If you're interested in this sort of thing, the PF ones shouldn't be too hard to convert to 5e, your biggest issue would be making sure they fit with bounded accuracy.