PDA

View Full Version : Best “Oh snap!” Moment you’ve pulled.

Pauly
2022-09-02, 12:54 AM
Some time ago we finished one leg of a long running D&D campaign, so I volunteered to GM a film noir themed campaign using a home brew of Cyberpunk 2020, but with 1930s technology.

About 10 minutes into session 2 there was a TPK because the players forgot the difference in lethality between D&D and Cyberpunk and started a shootout at close range with no cover against bad guys who already had their guns drawn. I’m OK with this and tell the players to roll up new characters and I have an idea to keep the campaign going.
One of the PC’s motivation was to save enough money so he and his new wife could leave the city and start a new life in the country. He really liked his character and I said he could keep the character, but had to come up with a new backstory unrelated to his original character. Let’s call the first character Spade snd his clone Marlowe

So when the new characters are set up and in their PI’s office I send in Spade’s widow. I use a picture of Veronica Lake (I like using photos of old timey forgotten Hollywood stars for character portraits) to illustrate her. Marlowe is like “yeah my wife, well ex+character’s wife is HOT”. So she says her husband is missing and tasks the party to find out where her husband is. Another character tries to hit on her but she refuses, so now Marlowe is completely smitten and goes all in on the investigation.

After a session the party get enough information to say Spade got killed, but the widow insists that she has to see his body and to lay him to rest properly. Marlowe insists on getting the rest of the party to join in, for the good of the widow.

After another session the players organize a sit down between Spade’s widow and the BBEG whose goons whacked the first party. When Spades’s widow asks if she can at least recover the body, the BBEG is “Nope it’s been buried at sea”, she replies “I need a body to claim the insurance money and I wasted a year and a half of my life on that sucker” the look on Marlowe’s face was priceless and the other players started to laugh.
Then the BBEG says ‘Maybe I can help you with that, what did your husband look like?”
At which point I pull out Spade’s old character sheet from my file and start reading out his physical description,while looking directly at the Spade/Marlowe player. As the realization of just how badly he’s been set up starts to sink in, one of the other players, who by the way is the goody two shoes light Paladin in the D&D campaign, says “This guy only joined our agency 2 weeks ago, no one will miss him - what’s our cut if we turn him over?” At which point Spade/Marlowe goes into full carp out of water mode and is opening and closing his mouth unable to speak.

MoiMagnus
2022-09-02, 08:11 AM
During a recent campaign, we were involved in a convoluted plot, and I had the realisation at the middle of me grumbling about how nothing made sense. My monologue was something like that:

"This make absolutely no sense!
None of the faction's motivation make any sense.

We're just here to find who is counterfeiting imperial money, we find those cultists drug dealers ... who for some reasons seems to be hated by some devils and helped by others ... and whose leader is always making some dreams about the lake ... which we absolutely don't care about because they're just a middle-man in the money-laundering scheme.

On the other hand, there is this lord who is probably the one counterfeiting money, but every time we investigate him we find stuff totally unrelated like weapon trafficking or this big secret metal boat they were building ... which by the way make no sense, why on earth would you need a metal boat for a lake? A single boat is not enough firepower to threaten anything nearby, and building weapons like that is not even illegal in this empire so why build it secretly?

Oh... nevermind ... Just a though, but maybe the true plot is not about us just being D&D-IRS and maybe, just maybe, we should find a way to go to the bottom of this lake before this 'submarine' get there."

Inevitability
2022-09-02, 08:51 AM
Campaign was this short-ish low-level (3 and later 4) murder mystery. There's a small village, over the past full moons there've been some animal deaths, but a month ago the local gravedigger was eviscerated in the churchyard, and the villagers put some money together to hire the PCs. The village itself is pretty unremarkable: some farms, some tradesmen, a nearby forest, and a small manor. The father of the current baroness was a paladin of some note, but he died some years ago (although there's been rumors of his ghost haunting the streets ever since).

Party consists of a LG aasimar paladin, CE tiefling warlock, and a masked hobgoblin cleric who insists he's LN but is pretty clearly LE. Despite the alignments, the three of them got along pretty well: the cleric was mostly concerned with completing the mission, the warlock wanted to spread her patron's worship and actively cozied up to the villagers, and the paladin was an oblivious meathead who fully accepted his ally's cover story that she was just 'a humble priestess of Chauntea with some fire magic'.

It doesn't take the party long to figure out a werewolf must be behind it, and they start roaming the streets at night. The werewolf proves elusive, with the party catching a few glimpses of it. Also spotted during their nightly patrols is a mysterious figure, clad in gray armor, voice muffled by a heavy helmet and armed with a razor-sharp longsword, fitting descriptions of the 'ghost' people have been spotting.

Eventually, through some good old-fashioned sleuthing, the party begins to suspect the local baroness of being the werewolf, noting how she tends to sleep in late, eat large meals, and seemingly ordered the town guard to stay inside at night, in addition to trying to bribe the party into leaving the village alone and 'letting the locals solve it'.

One night, the party shows up at the manor, barges in, and forces the door of her bedroom... revealing an empty bed. Not long after, the baroness enters through a secret passage, dirty and scraped, and the party makes their accusation... only for the baroness to reveal she is the mysterious guardian, she took up arms secretly after her father's death, and she was also out watching for the werewolf. She doesn't necessarily like the party (because, in typical D&D fashion, the party hasn't shown a shred of respect to local elites), but expresses willingness to work together.

The warlock ends up having a private discussion with the baroness, who by now has figured out the true nature of the warlock's powers. In return for the baroness keeping mum about the warlock in the town's midst, the warlock wouldn't reveal her secret identity to anyone. I ruled that between a warlock and a paladin there was enough oath-based magic around to create an actual magically-binding contract with some reasonably hefty penalties, and both sign it (the warlock happily, the baroness less so). The warlock's player, at this point, reasons that if they really need to reveal the baroness's nightly activities, the cleric or paladin can just do it.

A few sessions pass, filled with red herrings and potential suspects, but the party doesn't manage to track down the werewolf. After the final full moon's night, the party debates what to do next, and the baroness summons the warlock to her chambers. The warlock, still smug, shows up and gloats a little about how she's still planning to convert this village to her patron, werewolf or no werewolf, and the baroness is powerless to tell anyone about it.

Only for the baroness to reveal that not only is she the werewolf after all (having gotten bitten while on her nightly paladin excursions a few months ago), she's fully embraced the curse and can shift whenever she wants. The warlock, outmatched, is swiftly reduced to low HP, and dives out of a window. The paladin, who'd been nearby, spots this and rushes towards her, then heals her and asks what's going on. The warlock responds by blurting out that the baroness is the werewolf after all, and they need to get ready for a fight, and-

At which point I interrupt the player, and go:

"So would you call this revealing the baroness's secret identity?"

It took five minutes for everyone's screaming to die down.

togapika
2022-09-04, 01:08 AM
At which point I interrupt the player, and go:

"So would you call this revealing the baroness's secret identity?"

So what happened?

Kurt Kurageous
2022-09-06, 04:33 PM
In Curse of Strahd, party took Ireena to see the Abbott at the suggestion of the Abbot, thinking it was a safe place and she could help improve the Bride's social graces.

They returned to find Ireena's face stitched on the bride.