PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Picking 6 Attunements for a Lvl 20 Artificer

Yakmala
2022-09-03, 12:40 AM
I've got a Level 20 one-shot coming up and want to try out an Artificer, having never taken one past level 10 before.

At high level, an Artificer can attune to 6 items, rather than the normal 3.

Being level 20's, we are starting with a bunch of magic items, up to and including 3 legendary items (though no artifacts). Homebrew magic items not allowed, but we can re-skin weapons (example, a vorpal axe or holy avenger polearm). Also keep in mind that a high level Artificer can use any magic item regardless of race, class, level or spell requirements.

So, what six attunement items would you pick? Also, what Artificer sub-class would you do this with?

Thanks in advance!

CTurbo
2022-09-03, 02:12 AM
Legendary
Staff of the Magi
Ioun Stone of Regeneration
Ioun Stone of Mastery

Very Rare
All purpose tool +3
Tome of Clear Thought
Wand of the War Mage +3 (or +3 weapon or +3 Shield)

Hael
2022-09-03, 03:51 AM
Do you want the things that will be fun for the campaign or do you want broken stuff,

like Hand Xbow Blackrazor, Shield of the Magi/Power, or belt of storm giant strength?

Generally speaking, as an Artificer the way to abuse this system is to take consumable items, like ring of three wishes... Use them (for eg resistances), and then fill the attunement slot with one of your own invocations.

I rather like some of the new items in recent books (many of the 'exalted' items), as they are powerful and flavorful but not completely busted like some of the usual PhB suspects.

J-H
2022-09-03, 04:03 AM
What kind of artificer are you building? A battlesmith who goes toe to toe? A armorer who flies around like Iron Man blasting with ranged weapons while still being tanky?

You can probably skip magic defense, so you really just need shield, armor, weapon, and 3 accessories. What those are depend on what you're building.

stoutstien
2022-09-03, 07:07 AM
I've got a Level 20 one-shot coming up and want to try out an Artificer, having never taken one past level 10 before.

At high level, an Artificer can attune to 6 items, rather than the normal 3.

Being level 20's, we are starting with a bunch of magic items, up to and including 3 legendary items (though no artifacts). Homebrew magic items not allowed, but we can re-skin weapons (example, a vorpal axe or holy avenger polearm). Also keep in mind that a high level Artificer can use any magic item regardless of race, class, level or spell requirements.

So, what six attunement items would you pick? Also, what Artificer sub-class would you do this with?

Thanks in advance!

Warforged armorer with a mighty servant of leuk-o. Mech,mech, mech suit. **Dang forgot it's an artifact thought it was only legendary**

Bonus points for having a lyre of building in hand.

Quietus
2022-09-04, 12:15 PM
Get a wand sheathe, possibly as one of your infusions. Requires attunement, you can put another wand in it that also requires attunement. Both items together count as a single item for the purpose of determining how many items you can attune to, but critically, they are multiple items as far as your 20th level ability is concerned. If you already had an attunement wand on your list of items, it's a free +1 to all saves.

Syjyl4488
2022-09-04, 10:28 PM
If I were a artillerist, I’d pick up a ring of protection, a cloak of protection, and a staff of power +4 to ac and saves, a-p tool +3, maybe belt of dwarven kind, and living armor. You have a total +5 ac plus the base armor ac you equip and 3 dmg resistances, +10 to saves, +2 to con, darkvision, plus the staff powers.

Khrysaes
2022-09-05, 10:58 AM
Armorer can attune to two more items as oong as it is a part of the armor. So boots. Gauntlets. Helm. Etc

Keravath
2022-09-05, 09:05 PM
Armorer can attune to two more items as oong as it is a part of the armor. So boots. Gauntlets. Helm. Etc

Armorer can infuse two more items than other artificers as long as those are a part of the armor but they do not have any increase in attunement limits.

Khrysaes
2022-09-06, 11:59 AM
Armorer can infuse two more items than other artificers as long as those are a part of the armor but they do not have any increase in attunement limits.
Must have misremembered it.

Just reread it. There could be an argument made that the armor, if it were to require attunement, for the purposes attunement slots counts as one item, such as armor anyone equips, but for infusions counts as three infusion slots. I dont think this would work like the wand sheath where if you attune the wand sheath you also attune the wand in it, counting as two attunements for the price of one, but it may.

Keravath
2022-09-07, 07:48 AM

Just reread it. There could be an argument made that the armor, if it were to require attunement, for the purposes attunement slots counts as one item, such as armor anyone equips, but for infusions counts as three infusion slots. I dont think this would work like the wand sheath where if you attune the wand sheath you also attune the wand in it, counting as two attunements for the price of one, but it may.

Artificers can only infuse non-magical objects. If the armorer uses magical armor to create the Arcane Armor then they can't add any infusions to it since it is considered magical.

After level 9, the armorer can treat boots, chest, gloves and helm as separate for infusion purposes. However, what isn't clear is, if the armorer can infuse a pair of boots and wear them do those boots count as part of the armor or do you have to infuse some portion of the armor that is being used for boots? In the first case, the infusion works since the boots are non-magical to start, in the second, if the boots are part of the armor and IF the armorer used magical armor to create their arcane armor, then are the boots already magical in which case they can't be infused.

PhantomSoul
2022-09-07, 09:14 AM

I'm really not seeing it as a viable loophole to the attunement limits as written (granted, maybe an older version was phrased differently, though I think armorer wasn't in the original artificer publication).

Oramac
2022-09-07, 10:22 AM
The one item that's nearly always on my list for any character is an Amulet of Health. Being able to 'dump' con in favor of other abilities while still having a 19 con is incredibly useful.

Yakk
2022-09-07, 10:33 AM
Legendary
Staff of the Magi
Ioun Stone of Regeneration
Ioun Stone of Mastery

Why not a ring of regeneration? It seems better; 1d6/10 minutes is 6d6/hour or 21/hour. The Stone is 15/hour.

Very Rare
All purpose tool +3
Tome of Clear Thought
Wand of the War Mage +3 (or +3 weapon or +3 Shield)
Tome of Clear Thought isn't attunement.
+3 weapons aren't attunement.
+3 shields aren't attunement.
It is possible your DM will allow All purpose tool to stack with a Wand of the War Mage, but far from certain.

And it only adds to spell attack rolls. Is that really important enough for an attunement slot?

You could go with a pile of spell save DC boosters. They are designed to be 1 per class, but you can ignore that requirement and stack them if your DM oks it. Each legendary could add +3, each VRare +2, giving you +15 spell save DC (basically your spells cannot be saved against).

These are crazy good legendary weapons:
The Rakdos Riteknife
Hazirawn
Wave
Luck Blade
and, while not a weapon, still very good:
Robe of the Archmagi (increase spell save DC by 2, other stuff)