PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pit Fiend Fear Aura

PretzelCoatl
2022-09-04, 03:32 PM
Hi all,
Quick rules question. Pit fiends seem to have a listed fear aura of DC 23. This is usually calculated as 10 + half HD + Cha mod. Pit fiends have 20 HD and 26 charisma. Anyone know why this isn't a DC 28?
For comparison, Cornugons also have a DC 23 fear aura, despite only having 15 HD and 23 Charisma.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Rynjin
2022-09-05, 05:19 AM
You may not be missing anything, I think it's a mistake.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-09-05, 07:07 AM
It might be that the guy who wrote the Pit Fiend remembered it having 16 Cha in 3.0 and adjusted the DC accordingly, but it's much more likely to just be a misread.

Ashiel
2022-09-05, 07:10 PM
There's a few bestiary statblocks with errors, so probably that. One of the other bestiary errors I can remember off the top of my head is the Pathfinder Ogre isn't actually proficient with his listed weapon. Giants in Pathfinder are basically just large humanoids (which makes sense) with a giant subtype (which also makes sense), but they don't have proficiency with martial weapons without burning feats. The default Ogre was given a greatclub but no proficiency feat, which means his attack routine is incorrect.

Perhaps comically, swapping the greatclub with a simple longspear not only fixes it, but also tends to be pretty spooky on an ogre due to the reach.

PretzelCoatl
2022-09-06, 12:04 AM
OK, thanks everyone. :)

Elkad
2022-09-07, 11:17 AM
The default Ogre was given a greatclub but no proficiency feat, which means his attack routine is incorrect.

Perhaps comically, swapping the greatclub with a simple longspear not only fixes it, but also tends to be pretty spooky on an ogre due to the reach.
I think the better fix in this specific case is to put greatclub in simple weapons.

The big dumb guy beating you to death with a handy tree, wagon tongue, or actual club is so iconic as to be a trope.

But giving him a spear works too.

Ashiel
2022-09-08, 10:57 AM
I think the better fix in this specific case is to put greatclub in simple weapons.

The big dumb guy beating you to death with a handy tree, wagon tongue, or actual club is so iconic as to be a trope.

But giving him a spear works too.

You could also just give him a large club and let him two hand it. Loses a few points of damage is the only difference, no narrative loss at all. Though I do agree that greatclubs being martial weapons seems kinda silly. Though given the gold piece cost, I'd suspect your typical greatclub is not simply a big piece of wood but probably something more akin to a tetsubo which would probably explain that easily enough (neither the club no greatclub has a description in the 3.5 or PF SRDs).