PDA

View Full Version : What build/class/subclass has spoiled you to play other characters

Spo
2022-09-05, 04:51 PM
Sometimes we either stumble onto a build we really like and has captured our fancy in someway, or we number crunch stats and hit the guides to make the ultimate powerhouse character we can imagine. This character becomes the fun benchmark to where you compare your other characters too.

For me, it is my half-orc rune knight fighter barbarian with GWM. The damage I can dish out consistently and the features that add variety to the character has me comparing all my other melee characters to. I can run straight into battle raging and attacking recklessly and grow large for additional butt stomping power.

When starting new campaigns and creating my next character, I always find myself hoping they will be as good my fighter/barbarian.

What character has done this for you?

MrStabby
2022-09-05, 05:05 PM
1) Paladin. The power of the class, its versatility and breadth has left me unhappy with just about any other martial character. Even my favourite archer was a vengeance paladin.

2) Hexblade. I have played a warlock leaning heavily on eldritch blast. It was dull. I would never play an eldritch blast based warlock again, which leads me to using weapons on any warlock I am leaning towards. Hexblade just offers too much here to make other options seem attractive. Possibly an undead warlock... but even then not really.

I think these are the main ones.

JellyPooga
2022-09-05, 05:50 PM
Thieves/Rogues. Ever since I first played a Thief back in 2e, I've never really been able to get past being competent/skilled at mundane tasks without recourse to magic.

Keravath
2022-09-05, 08:58 PM
Probably warlock ... I find almost everything goes better with at least a few levels of warlock in it. In addition, the level 10 melee hexblade warlock with PAM and GWM is lots of fun too. I just haven't found a bad warlock so far. (12 rogue/5 warlock, 6 battle master fighter/2 warlock, 14 lore bard/2 hexblade warlock, 10 hexblade warlock/1 shadow sorcerer, 1 fighter/2 goo warlock/8 draconic sorcerer, 2 hexblade warlock/6 aberrant mind sorcerer, and of course straight warlock :) ).

Besides that - paladins are very good and I love rogues :)

animorte
2022-09-05, 09:30 PM
It has to be Warlock because of the customization I can get with Eldritch Invocations that no other class can equally claim. I personally think the Hexblade is overrated and I have run just about every subclass. I like most of them, but I feel honestly spoiled a bit what the Genie offers. Celestial and Undead aren't far behind.

I don't recall precisely who it is on here with the signature, "Why, yes. Warlock is my solution for everything!"

That's pretty much how I feel. Just about anything I want to accomplish in this game, I can build a new Warlock for it and still feel different from my other Warlocks. Some people just feel like they have absolutely no choice whatsoever but locking themselves into EB+AB or useless... or Hexblade.

Also, if I want to play a front line PC that's able to actually keep the party alive, it's difficult for me to look anywhere but Cleric. It can also easily be built in different ways while having earlier AND more uses of Channel Divinity than the Paladin, though I have recently grown an appreciation for Paladin.

Bonus Round: Mage Hand has spoiled me and I find myself not wanting to play a class without it sometimes, or genuinely longing for it when I don't have it. Easily my favorite cantrip in the game.

Jak
2022-09-05, 11:18 PM
For me, I think it's monk. I feel like I always have a card to play when I play monk. I have a bonus action for most things, and multiple reactions to deal with tough situations and curve balls. I don't really get that feel when I play wizard, or fighter.

kingcheesepants
2022-09-06, 05:44 AM
Wizard. Ritual casting without needing to prep. Having tons of spells and being able to add more as you go on. If I play a spells known caster like a Bard or one with a smaller list like a Cleric, I just feel so limited and I always find myself wishing I had access to x or y spell. Not that those classes are bad or not fun, it's just I love having tons of options and Wizard is the only one that really scratches that itch adequately.

Also Divination Wizard gets a special shoutout for portent being such a nice feature that let's you give a known number to an important roll ahead of time. Every time I play a non Divination wizard I always feel the lack of that portent. Chronurgist does something similar but even better but I've yet to see a table that actually allowed that subclass.

NecessaryWeevil
2022-09-07, 11:40 AM
Slightly off topic so I apologize but...

My Tabaxi [Druid]. The ability to go vertical via my claws at will as long as I was in an enclosed space was just *so* useful.

PallyBass
2022-09-08, 10:25 AM
Paladin- the spells are excellent, their Charisma Aura is awesomeness shared with the whole party, Find Steed is a fun mount/pet, their (melee) damage is solid, and they have awesome "nova" moments with Divine Smite especially when they critically hit. Oh and Charisma class means effective social checks.

I compare every martial class I played since then to my experience with Paladins. Swords Bard scratched that itch the best for me so far.