PDA

View Full Version : Leaping while Riding DC

Scurvy
2022-09-06, 01:07 AM
You can get your mount to leap obstacles as part of its movement. Use your Ride modifier or the mount’s Jump modifier, whichever is lower, to see how far the creature can jump. If you fail your Ride check, you fall off the mount when it leaps and take the appropriate falling damage (at least 1d6 points).

The DC for this is listed as 15. Does that mean you have to make two DC checks: a Ride check with a DC 15 to see if you stayed in the saddle AND a Jump check using the mounts Jump modifier or your Ride modifier (whichever is lower) to determine distance jumped?

Is the saddle check required if you have your mount jump but there isn't an obstacle?

Paragon
2022-09-06, 02:26 AM
As I read it, you only make one check and the rules ask for the one that's the hardest to pull off between your ride and the Mount's jump check.
I surmise it's more about the jump than the actual obstacle so yeah.

(Don't forget the rules about having 4 legs and speed >30ft for the jump check modifier)

Scurvy
2022-09-07, 02:24 PM
I think the part "to see how far the creature can jump" is what is throwing me off because that is a variable DC while the Riding Leap is listed as a set DC 15.

Like a horizontal jump 10 feet is DC 10. Would a riding leap 10 feet be DC 15, since that is the higher number? And then a riding leap 20 feet would be DC 20?

Furthermore, do any of the failures of a jump check apply? An untrained Jump requires 5 over the DC to land without falling prone, and Horses don't seem to be trained in Jump.

Darg
2022-09-07, 10:45 PM
You make a DC 15 ride check to see if you can get your mount to leap. If you fail, you fall. If you succeed, the mount does a jump check using your riding skill modifier or its jump modifier. A light horse for example will have a +18 modifier (+12 from a speed of 60, +4 from the Run feat, +2 from 14 str) with a 20ft running start. But a fighter with a speed of 20, 5 ranks, and 14 dex will have a modifier of +7 (speed doesn't affect the ride modifier.) So the horse will use the +7 to determine the distance of the jump. You are also correct that horses are not trained in jump. So they will fall prone if they don't beat the DC by 5 or more, but you are not thrown off as you succeeded your ride check.

Crake
2022-09-08, 10:52 AM
You make a DC 15 ride check to see if you can get your mount to leap. If you fail, you fall

This seems incorrect. Based on the description, the mount will jump either way, but you will fall out of the saddle as it does so should you fail your ride check.

Darg
2022-09-09, 08:53 PM
This seems incorrect. Based on the description, the mount will jump either way, but you will fall out of the saddle as it does so should you fail your ride check.

You are correct. My language does seem to imply that the mount wouldn't jump if you fail. The leap task says that the mount still jumps when you fail.