PDA

View Full Version : Bow Cleric?

Yrnes
2007-11-29, 06:05 PM
I'm still new to these boards, but in my short stop here I already know there is a font of knowledge to be learned from you guys. I don't have many of the 3.5 books (just the core three and a couple misc supplements) so there are tons of spells/feats/classes and items out there I don't know about.

I was just playing around with the idea of a 11th level battle-cleric who used a bow (instead of the tried and true mace and shield), if for anything else a break from the normal. I was hoping I could get some advice on what could help so I could really make a decent combat oriented cleric.

I mainly play humans but am open to other races (I enjoy the humans additional feat and skills and ability to multiclass without penalty, but I figure an elf with the War Domain for the two free feats into the bow from the get go would be nice)

I usually multiclass and prestige past my first several levels, but the cleric spell progression may be worth it to stick with the core class for a couple levels.

I assume one level in fighter might be necessary.

But short of all the staple feats and gear for this class, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Yrnes

Lintehiliel
2007-11-29, 06:14 PM
Theres a feat you aught to take.
Zen Archery, in Complete Adv. or was it in Complete Divine. It lets you use your Wis modifier instead of dex for the base of to hit.

You could just go plane elf or go for a person with a god that have a bow as weapon. Might be harder to find a deity that uses bows and have War Domain.

GimliFett
2007-11-29, 06:15 PM
Theres a feat you aught to take.
Zen Archery, in Complete Adv. or was it in Complete Divine. It lets you use your Wis modifier instead of dex for the base of to hit.

You could just go plane elf or go for a person with a god that have a bow as weapon. Might be harder to find a deity that uses bows and have War Domain.

It's in Complete Warrior and awesome! Also, go with Elf so you don't hafta use a domain or feats to get your bow on! :smallcool:

deadseashoals
2007-11-29, 06:18 PM
Elf with the Elf and War domains. Take Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, and Rapid Shot, and Zen Archery as your feats. Cast divine favor for +3 to attack and damage, and you're good to go. Next level, take Quicken Spell, and quicken that divine favor, and if you have a spare round, cast divine power for a third iterative attack and another +3 to hit. Always cast greater magic weapon on your bow every morning.

azule74
2007-11-29, 06:19 PM
I tried playing a Bow Cleric. It was very tough. If your DM will allow you to make a ring of Arrow Mind, it is in the Spell Compendium, make it. The ring allows you to use your bow in Mele with out taking the AoOP, but it is an arcane spell. So the Magic Domain might be a good thing to take.

There is also a feat that allows you to cast touch spells at a range of 30ft, the kicker on that one is that it uses a spell slot 3 levels higher.

adanedhel9
2007-11-29, 06:20 PM
You might want the Zen Archery feat. I believe it's from Complete Warrior. It lets you use your Wis bonus for bow attacks, which could help you out some. But it really depends on your build.

azule74
2007-11-29, 06:22 PM
I agree the Zen Archery feat is a must have. To many Stats to max out with out it.

Lintehiliel
2007-11-29, 06:23 PM
Bah, my fault
Just a tad tired from a 6 hour DnD session;
killed my gfs char (Im a Neutral Good Cleric with Greatsword).
She had split personality and I got the Lawful good character to see what she did as evil. She took suicide.. twice.. she survived her first one :smalltongue:

Point Blank and Precice Shot is a must. Elf gives you automaticly proficiency with Composite bow, so a domain doesnt need to be spent. but you get automaticly weapon focus with bow if you have a diety with war and bow.

*edited - you could also go the persistence metamagic cheese for your buffs.

Yrnes
2007-11-29, 06:41 PM
I remember persistent spell in 3.0- what book is it in for 3.5?
Yrnes

Lintehiliel
2007-11-29, 06:52 PM
If I recall right, its in Complete Arcana

goat
2007-11-29, 06:56 PM
Cloistered cleric Elf. Take Zen archery, wear a monk's belt, pump your wisdom like a madman, act as a secondary skill-monkey. Avoid close combat like you're as bad at it as you will be.

Yrnes
2007-11-29, 07:10 PM
cloistered cleric elf? Is that a prestige or racial variant?

Thanks
Yrnes

goat
2007-11-29, 07:25 PM
Unearthed Arcana variant

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric

Draz74
2007-11-29, 08:11 PM
I find an elven Cleric-Archer can be quite good even using Core Only (no Zen Archery, etc.). Just pump both Dex and Wis up. I like to do a 2-level Ranger dip for skills and Rapid Shot, but that probably makes the build slightly less powerful. (I still like it.) You don't really need the War Domain either (it's a decent choice, but I prefer domains with more utility value).

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-29, 08:24 PM
Champion of Ruin have some awesome arrow spells that you might want to look at...

other than that the feats have already be covered. you might want to consider PrC into a class from the very same book. Can't remeber what it's called though. It is very fun to play. Good luck. I always liked playing a Cleric of Sherevash, the Drow Slayer.

Ramza00
2007-11-29, 08:40 PM
try to get your DM to allow you to use Ordained Champion with a custom God that has War (with the bow) and Elf Domain.

Sure the channel spell ability as well as fist of the gods won't work with ranged weapons but the swift action divine power is great.

Knowledge Devotion, plus Holy Warrior is another +14 to Attack and Damage for two feats. Do cloistered cleric as your class besides ordained champion.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-11-29, 09:14 PM
try to get your DM to allow you to use Ordained Champion with a custom God that has War (with the bow) and Elf Domain.

No need. there are to in FR.

Sherevash (cool rp stuff but probably not needed)
Selendar Isharver (very badly spelled, but is ^ halfbrother so is said)

Both have elf and war. focusing on the longbow.